Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2013, 18:13   #31

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Provisioning Costs by Regions

Assuming you want to head offshore on a northerly heading from Grenada you really can't do much worse than provision in Grenada. There are a couple "bulk food" stores in Grenada between Grand Anse and Spice Island Marine/True Blue area. They are along that short section of 4 lane highway - the only section of 4-lane on the whole island.

Beyond that, downtown St Georges adjacent to the Bus Station is a local supermarket with about the best prices on stock items that locals consume. Downtown on the Carenage under what was once the Nutmeg Restraurant is a wonderful little grocery also with great prices.

However, for more European, upscale foods go up-island to Martinique and Cul-de Sac Marin where you will find several large "Cost-Co" type grocery stores with everything European and French. From there northward I couldn't recommend any place until you get to St Martin.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 18:21   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 57

If you are heading north, provisioning in St. Martin is going to be your best balance between getting what you want (and know), quality, and price. The Grand Marche is great, but I also usually get my bulk stuff and particularly my beef at Cost-U-Less on the Dutch side. Fresh produce delivery day is Tuesdays in St. Martin, so shopping on the weekend will usually not get you any fruits or vegetables that are very fresh.
I'm on Guadeloupe now and the prices are rather European, but the selection is nonpareil.
Old 23-03-2013, 03:50   #33

I called at Philipsburg and used the big place across the road from Bobby's Marina last year. That was quite reasonable.

Thanks for the info.
MartW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 09:27   #34
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

There are about four Bobby's Marinas now so that doesn't help

I would definitly provision in St Martin.

grand Marche behind Port De Plesance Marina in the lagoon is the best because it caters for the super yachts where the one in Phillipsberg does not. You can use the dinghy dock at PDP and the supermarket will drive you back to the dock.

For wine I would go to the French side, Simply supermarket has an excellent range of cheap French Vin Ordinair.
Beer and spirits from the Chinese supermarket behind Lagoonies is cheapest on the island.

Prime is a wholesale cash and carry supermarket on the road from Budget Marine to Ace Hardwear.

It's all close to dinghy docks, quality better than Grenada, or anywhere else, and prices best too...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 09:40   #35

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It's a bit out of the way for you, but how about Fajardo in Puerto Rico? We found the prices there to be the same or lower than in the USA. Don't know how it compares to St. Martin.
Old 23-03-2013, 09:42   #36

Mark - I forgot "Prime", but it is always a hassle to pay there; the Cash & Carry on the Dutch side past Kuymann's towards Phillipsburg has boat-sized packaging and does have the best meats I've seen on-island.

I missed you in St. Martin, I'm currently down in the Saintes and heading south, but I'll be in Antigua for the Race Week. What about your plans?
Old 23-03-2013, 11:23   #37
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post

I missed you in St. Martin, I'm currently down in the Saintes and heading south, but I'll be in Antigua for the Race Week. What about your plans?
Yes, sorry to miss you here.
I will get to Antigua for the beginning of classic week and stay thru Race Week, but I'm not racing this time.

I will have two friends on board too. Two girls! I could sell you one?

Mind you after two weeks on my boat they will probably be looking like rats on a sinking ship...

See you then

Mark

Old 23-03-2013, 11:58   #38

I've been asked to do some sort of officiating for the Race Week, so I'll definitely be there. I have a family visiting for 2 weeks starting tomorrow (couple with 2 daughters) so I'll probably want some time to myself afterwards.... although two girls on board....
Old 24-03-2013, 03:33   #39

As far as my routing. With the information given to me here, I'm considering sailing up the inside of the islands for a 2/3 day shakedown cruise from Grenada to St Maarten.
The Bobby's Marina I refer to is the St Philipsberg one. You sail directly for the beach then take a 90° right turn and the fuel pier is right in front of you. There's a car fuel filling station behind the bars and chandlers and across the road is a huge supermarket. I can't remember if it's a Grande Marche or a Cost U Less.

Last year I headed for Bermuda before turning for the Azores. We had electrical problems, so ended up stopping there for a few days. It was Bermuda Day while there, so it took a few days to get parts sorted. But, Bermuda is very expensive for food I found. So it's handy to know it's there, if condition's dictate, but I'll provision for a non-stop to Horta and beyond.
MartW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 07:20   #40
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartW View Post
The Bobby's Marina I refer to is the St Philipsberg one. You sail directly for the beach then take a 90° right turn and the fuel pier is right in front of you. There's a car fuel filling station behind the bars and chandlers and across the road is a huge supermarket. I can't remember if it's a Grande Marche or a Cost U Less.

Righto. Dump that idea and head into the Lagoon and anchor. Its far more accessable to more and larger supermarkets and chandleries. the ones in Phillipsberg are Outhouse size where the ones in the Lagoon are larger than the biggest Westmarine.
The Grand Marche in the Lagoon is really quite impressive.

Thats the reason why there must be close to 500 yachts, boats, cruisers etc in the Lagoon during the season. and not many at Phillipsberg anytime

Mark

Old 24-03-2013, 11:39   #41
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Supply prices on Bermuda:
Well, it is a rock in the middle of nowhere, isn't it? The bottled Nestea comes in from Connecticut. No doubt because of the lack of local tea plantations and the limited amount of expensive water from the desalination plant or the rooftop cisterns. Same thing for the beef, the cattle farms and feed lots on Bermuda are very cleverly kept downwind from the tourists.<G>
Like the first time I saw a kool-aide stand on a mountain top. Some poor SOB had to haul it in and up every day on their back, and that's gonna make it cost.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 19:06   #42

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartW View Post
I did a forum search on Caribbean Food Prices and Provisioning. and this was the thread closest to what I wanted to raise. So,at the risk of getting shouted down for reviving such an old thread, here goes.

If you were starting from Grenada and heading for Horta, then Norway, where would you provision for the trip? I found Philipsburg Grande Marche quite reasonable last year, but then I started from Antigua. This year I have a bit more ground to cover. I probably won't stop at Bermuda, unless I have to. I definitely don't want to provision there. Far too pricey I found last year. I see Dominican Republic was mentioned. But I feel that's too far off track for me. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Since this is the 2nd OP in this thread and he seems to be desiring to head directly to the Azores - which is about 2400 nm 060°M from Grenada - heading back to St Martin may be a detour too far west - assuming he has the ability to motor-sail through the heart of the mid Atlantic "high" straight to the Azores.

If he is desirous of sailing then it is my experience that most head north from the eastern Caribbean towards Bermuda and then hang a right and east to the Azores so as to follow the normal wind patterns. In this case, St Martin would be a good place to stop along the way and provision and wait for the best weather windows.

French St Martin was, at least last time I was there, the best half of the island for folks not flush with excess cash for the fees on the "Dutch" side. The bridge into the Lagoon was free, as was anchoring in the French side of the Lagoon. Buses take you to big Super-Marche's and there are local provision warehouses in the industrial section behind Marigot. Security has been known to be a problem in St Martin, so maybe provisioning in Marin, Martinique might be a better option with a departure from Antiqua.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 14:44   #43

Boat: Kirié Feeling 446

When provisionning a lot depends on what you eat and most of your preferences are cultural.

For example in the Eastern Caribbean I believe Martinque to be the most economical and by far best quality and best choice. Most anglo-saxon will probably disagree. There is no right an no wrong, simply a matter of what you like to eat and drink.

Wine is by far less expensive in Martinque. You will find many AOC wines under 3 or 4€ and some for even less, that to my taste are better than those selling for 150EC$. Frozen wild shrimp for 3,50€ a half kilo. Canned food are unequaled in taste and not expensive. No you cannot find Spam. Difficult to translate most ready to eat food names here. What do you call ratatouille in English? Confit de canard, gésiers confits? There are of course umpteen varieties of paté in jars or cans.

Yes osirissail le Marin is I think much better than St Martin with more choice and a much safer environment. Leader Price is the easiest to shop, you unload the cart in the dinghy at their dock, and has usually the best prices. (They are part of Carrefour the largest food distributers in the world I think.) But there are other good offerings at Ed, EcoMax, Carrefour Market.

Why am I getting hungry ?
SaltyTanned is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
provisioning