Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2008, 21:19   #1

Propane vs Kerosene vs Other Cooking Fuel

I'm working on figuring out what household items to keep for when I move aboard (detailed in another post).

I have two of the new type (5-gallon?) propane tanks for my current land-lubber bar-b-que. These aren't cheap and I'm thinking I should keep them for use onboard.

Propane stove in the galley and bar-b-que hanging off the transom?

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks - Jake
MaDouleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 21:27   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
IMHO, it's the best way to cook as long as you have a propane sniffer.
I recently took out a kerosene (wallas) glass cooktop and replaced it with propane. Propane makes better popcorn, heats faster and cools off quicker.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 21:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
IMHO, i't's the best way to cook as long as you have a propane sniffer.

Steve B.
Ah yes - propane is heavier than air and can flow into the bilge and fill the cabin. BOOM! Thanks!
MaDouleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 21:46   #4

Remember that both of the propane tanks must be stored in lockers that vent overboard. Aluminum tanks weight less and are less subject to corrosion.

Get a good quality marine BBQ. Dickenson and Magma get my vote.

A propane sniffer is OK, but I would suggest that the tanks be turned off when not in use. An inline solenoid with a switch on the electrical panel and one near the stove is also essential.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 07:52   #5

Boat: Camano Troll
Propane on Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Remember that both of the propane tanks must be stored in lockers that vent overboard. .............

A propane sniffer is OK, but I would suggest that the tanks be turned off when not in use. An inline solenoid with a switch on the electrical panel and one near the stove is also essential.

Jack
Very important. There are some ABYC requirements for propane on a boat that must be followed closely.

Our boat that was factory equipped with a propane stove, oven and broiler has a propane locker in the cockpit, vented overboard, a remote operated solenoid with the control switch in the galley, a propane detector, and a gauge for checking for leaks. Another requirement is that there be no connections inside the boat except at the appliance.

The stove and oven burners are equipped with thermocouples so if the flame goes out, the propane to that burner is shut off.

A closed cabin boat partially filled with propane would make a great bomb!
Old 25-05-2008, 09:14   #6

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Is there much risk of a Propane tank going Boom in the event of a lightening strike? I really like propane BBQ's, but could do without if the risk was too great.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 09:30   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
There is little risk of a Propane tank 'going boom' in a lightning strike; it shouldn't be part of a path to ground. There is some chance of it contributing to a pre-existing fire if it is punctured or exposed to sustained high temperatures, so a separate locker is recommended. Solenoid valves and sniffers are no-brainers.

Propane tanks make mediocre bombs. A REALLY good bomb starts with deisel fuel. (See Mcveigh, Timothy) [g]
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 12:49   #8

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Thanks, I doubted they would be much of a risk, but was not certain.
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 05:16   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Very important. There are some ABYC requirements for propane on a boat that must be followed closely...
ABYC Standard A-1 MARINE LIQUEFIED PETROLEUM GAS (LPG) SYSTEMS
is available online at:
http://www.abycinc.org/committees/A-01.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2008, 06:32   #10

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
I started cruising with alcohol, switched to kerosene, then finally joined the real world and got Propane.
The Alcohol stove I had, I believe was a Hilerange, with large cast iron burners. It was a hot stove, but we were using 3 galons of alcohol a month! A apin to get sometines, and more of a pain to store.

I then found a nice used Kerosene stove. It used a litle less fuel, but the inside of the cabin slowly got grey. So slow that we hardly noticed it at first. The kerosene stove didn't boil water any faster than the old alccohol stove. I tested both. with the same pot and a measured amount of water. I know it's not to be that way, but with these stoves it was.

Finally I was thinking of switching to Propane, and was in a ASurburbane propane store and was able to get the burners, and valves, that I figured would fit my stove. I went to back to the boat to measure, and when I went back a few days later to buy them, The guy wasn't there, and when I told the person that he hadn't given me a price, she said, "well then, merry Christmas!"
I installed them and it worked fine. Sorry, no safety thermocouple. I used a solenoid, and had the tank mounted to the pushpit.
a 20# propane tank would last us about 4-5 months!

2 years later I bought a stove with oven/broiler, because the home built one was rusting out.

I kept a PVC tube with 2 small propane cylinders, sealed and strapped under the helm seat, in case we couldn't get a fill up. Had to use them 1 time.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 16:14   #11

Boat: 38' Homebuilt Cutter - "Atticus"
Is propane readily available as you cruise? Like in Mexico and Central America? Or do you need to bring enough with you?
Colorado Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 18:19   #12

Not sure of those areas. East coast of US and Bahamas, no problem, plus the propane lasts a long time.
Old 30-05-2008, 19:22   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I have two of the new type (5-gallon?) propane tanks for my current land-lubber bar-b-que. These aren't cheap and I'm thinking I should keep them for use onboard.
Actually they are cheap as in exceptionally cheap and almost worthless. Steel tanks have a short lifespan at sea what with salt water and rust and everything. You will find propane in more places than everything else combined. In less affluent countries everyone uses small tanks and get them refilled or exchanged. You do need to be concerned how you store them though. They can be quite dangerous when filled and start flying about when not tied down. A leak settles in the bilge and then blows up when you start the engine. Blasts everything into nice small pieces too. Quite dramatic. Personally I think it's the only serious way to go. You of course need to do it all up right Gord has the right web links.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 14:57   #14

The first 2 years I used propane, I used a 20# steel tank (s)
Had it secured to the stern rail as many cruisers do. the 2 nd time I need to fill it after about a year on the boat, I didn't bother to take it and see if they would fill it. It looked so bad, I bought another one. Another steel one. The alum ones were so expensive and not in the budget.
Have since picked up 2 10# aluminum tanks.
Old 14-07-2008, 04:57   #15

Boat: Islander Freeport 38C, " Bristol 29.9, "Rag Time"
I am in the process of buying a 1983 Cape Dory 30 which is equipped with a very clean, hardly used Hillerange pressure alcohol stove with oven. I would like to change the burners to kerosene but have not been able to find a source. Any suggestions? I know most sailors poo poo the idea of kerosene because of the greying effect, but in the US I use paint thinner (recommended as superior and not smoky by a qualified petroleum engineer) instead of kero with great success. Unfortunately, only the US stuff works..something about the way it is refined here.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
BoatTed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel