Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2017, 05:50   #16

Re: Propane usage

Can you make a trial run, fill the propane tank, cook typical meals, hot water,.... on the boat for a number of days (doesn't have to be consecutive) and then refill the tank. That would give you a pretty good idea of how many lbs per number of days you'd use. The key is to keep a log of your propane usage.

Also, for a long trip as you are planning, you should consider having backup tank(s). We had an o-ring fail, which we didn't notice, and the propane slowly leaked out of our first tank. Fortunately, we had a 2nd tank.
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 06:03   #17

Boat: Currently in between

Sailing Uma uses the GoSun thermal stove for a variety of baking, i.e. bread, muffins, potatoes and veggies. Might be something to consider. Here is a video link, jump ahead to about 6:30 if you don't want to watch the whole episode:

Old 24-06-2017, 07:36   #18

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

We carry two 20 lb tanks. One tank lasts us approximately three months cooking most, not all, meals on board. We use the oven for baking and occasionally to take the chill off the cabin. Through the winter ( in Southern California ) one tank may be used in 2 1/2 months.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 08:15   #19

I think we usually got maybe 5-6 weeks on a 10# tank. That's probably an average more like 2 cooked meals a day and some water heating for tea/coffee etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 08:44   #20

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

My own experience is 20 pounds lasts 3 months for crew of two. I'd like to hear usage from boats with a bigger crew. Today's project is to fill a 10 lb tank with just enough propane to last a 9 person race crew for the Transpac.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 00:31   #21

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Slow down, Cookie, that's 44' cruising cat, only his quote's from Mc Enroe, an explosive tennis player of days gone by...... This kilo tanks vs. US tankage issue can make me batty! It's roughly 19.8 lbs. We get roughly 3 months on a 9 kilo tank, usually. Less if I'm baking bread a lot. Two people, but the cooking's not too different than if one were singlehanding....or took on a crew. We do not have cooked breakfasts or lunches most of the times. Breakfasts are most often toast and fruit and yoghurt. Lunches, sandwiches, except when they are soup, which we usually augment with extra meat and veg, esp. onions.

So this is basically one big meal, the evening one, which, if I were singlehanding, i would probably have mid-day, but Jim would probably keep to the evening.

More available on request.

A.
Ann you mean THE John McEnro that shoot thunderbolts out his arse when he plays tennis?

Ann, CaptDon, Cheechaco, DonRadcliff this a really big help. I really thought it would be more.
Then 60-80 lbs would surfice for 200+ days ?

Tags
propane