Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2014, 19:36   #46
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,455
Re: Propane Tank Recertification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You must be friends with the gas people. In the third world, no one seems to care but in the USA they seem to be all over the new style valve. For 10 years or so now.
And it ain't only the USA that gets excited about dates on tanks! Both NZed and Oz are very picky, and in New Caledonia they simply don't fill non-French tanks (at least this was so the last time we were there).

Every safety bureaucracy has to show off its muscle, and they can be a real PITA for the cruiser who goes to several different jurisdictions.

Jim
__________________

__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 19:13   #47
Registered User
 
GeoPowers's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulfport, MS
Boat: Beneteau 393
Posts: 947
Images: 27
Re: Propane Tank Recertification

Does anyone know of a place I can get an Al tank re-cert'ed in the Annapolis area? I just got the "talking to" by the local propane place. Google and the phone book have let me down so far...

Thanks,

Frank
__________________

GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 19:20   #48
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,312
Re: Propane Tank Recertification

I got mine done at a Suburban Propane place and they have operations down in your area

Suburban Propane - Location Finder
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 19:24   #49
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,379
Re: Propane Tank Recertification

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Does anyone know of a place I can get an Al tank re-cert'ed in the Annapolis area? I just got the "talking to" by the local propane place. Google and the phone book have let me down so far...

Thanks,

Frank
My Al propane tanks needed ra ecert the propane dealer in my town did it. The shop where you filled the tank didn't offer any options?

Maybe call the local dive shop since SCUBA tanks need to be recerted periodically as well.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 19:34   #50
Registered User
 
GeoPowers's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulfport, MS
Boat: Beneteau 393
Posts: 947
Images: 27
Re: Propane Tank Recertification

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
My Al propane tanks needed ra ecert the propane dealer in my town did it. The shop where you filled the tank didn't offer any options?

Maybe call the local dive shop since SCUBA tanks need to be recerted periodically as well.
No, I get mine filled at the local hardware store. They know just enough to fill the tanks, but that's about it. Unfortunately, I just got the only one who apparently also knew to look for the mfr date, too!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 19:35   #51
Registered User
 
GeoPowers's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulfport, MS
Boat: Beneteau 393
Posts: 947
Images: 27
Re: Propane Tank Recertification

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I got mine done at a Suburban Propane place and they have operations down in your area

Suburban Propane - Location Finder
Thanks SB, I'll give them a call in the morning to see if they can re-cert locally for me, too!

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 18:05   #52
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1
Re: Propane Tank Recertification

Does any living in CT know where you can get an aluminum marine propane tank recertified? I have tried Amerigas, and other local refilling stations. Who will recertify?
__________________
KeiSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 20:16   #53
Registered User
 
zboss's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: On a boat
Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Posts: 3,426
Re: Propane Tank Recertification

You should really not have a problem getting them recertified. Is this a CT thing?

We have two aluminum tanks from 1987 that we just got recertified in Florida. In fact, the guy waxed poetic on how great the aluminum tanks are and that we should never get rid of them because they will last forever. Didn't even charge us a recert fee, just the refill.
__________________
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 20:21   #54
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Live aboard
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 3,466
Images: 83
Re: propane tank recertification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
It was an 11lb and yes it was refilled at the same time.
Always also consider having a new valve installed. The old valve has to be removed for the certification test anyway.
__________________
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 05:44   #55
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,582
Images: 240
Re: Propane Tank Recertification

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, KeiSue.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 06:15   #56
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Daphne Alabama
Boat: Bristol 35
Posts: 399
Re: Propane Tank Recertification

Any pressure vessel over 15psi is required to be manufactured to ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code- so yes- all propane tanks are manufactured to ASME standards. I am the QA manager for a Cryogenic tank manufacturing facility. All of our inner tanks fall under ASME BPVC our outer tanks under AWS. All transportable tanks also require DOT approval, this is given to the manufacturer as a special permit that is valid for 4 years. Manufacture has to reapply for these permits. If a company were to go out of business then the tanks would no longer be acceptable or recertifiable without some company requesting to take over the permit. I deal with this every month for our beverage carbonation cylinders. ASME tanks will also have National Board numbers associated with them- each tank has it's own number associtated with the manufacturer and specific to that tank and serial number. They have to be recertified because over time the welds and material can fatigue, causing leaks or rupture. Pressure vessels are either cold stretched- filled with water- put under pressure and literally stretch the metal like a ballon or hydro tested- such is the case for propane tanks- they are also filled with water and put under pressure but less pressure than in cold stretch. They are also mass spec'd- filled with helium and then mechanically sniffed for leaks- helium molecules are much smaller than water or air and will find leaks that hydro will not.
I realize this is more info than you requested but I thought you might want to know a little more about the tanks, how they are tested and why it is important. Tanks can and do explode and they can and do kill people. Testing the tanks can and does kill people- prior to my starting where I am one of the inspectors had his head taken off during a hydro test.
My point- please do get your tanks tested- it may seem comical and un needed but it is very much a safety issue. Yes you may never have problems but is it worth saving a couple bucks? These tanks are used regularly, they are under constant pressure, filled, emtpied, refilled time and again- this weakens joints and welds. There are also instances where it will be found years later that there are issues with valves over time- perhaps the casting wears, the membrane inside is found to wear out quicker than it should etc.
Please keep your tanks certified.
__________________
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 06:29   #57
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North Charleston, SC
Boat: Camano Troll
Posts: 4,669
Re: Propane Tank Recertification

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
Any pressure vessel over 15psi is required to be manufactured to ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code- so yes- all propane tanks are manufactured to ASME standards. I am the QA manager for a Cryogenic tank manufacturing facility. All of our inner tanks fall under ASME BPVC our outer tanks under AWS. All transportable tanks also require DOT approval, this is given to the manufacturer as a special permit that is valid for 4 years. Manufacture has to reapply for these permits. If a company were to go out of business then the tanks would no longer be acceptable or recertifiable without some company requesting to take over the permit. I deal with this every month for our beverage carbonation cylinders. ASME tanks will also have National Board numbers associated with them- each tank has it's own number associtated with the manufacturer and specific to that tank and serial number. They have to be recertified because over time the welds and material can fatigue, causing leaks or rupture. Pressure vessels are either cold stretched- filled with water- put under pressure and literally stretch the metal like a ballon or hydro tested- such is the case for propane tanks- they are also filled with water and put under pressure but less pressure than in cold stretch. They are also mass spec'd- filled with helium and then mechanically sniffed for leaks- helium molecules are much smaller than water or air and will find leaks that hydro will not.
I realize this is more info than you requested but I thought you might want to know a little more about the tanks, how they are tested and why it is important. Tanks can and do explode and they can and do kill people. Testing the tanks can and does kill people- prior to my starting where I am one of the inspectors had his head taken off during a hydro test.
My point- please do get your tanks tested- it may seem comical and un needed but it is very much a safety issue. Yes you may never have problems but is it worth saving a couple bucks? These tanks are used regularly, they are under constant pressure, filled, emtpied, refilled time and again- this weakens joints and welds. There are also instances where it will be found years later that there are issues with valves over time- perhaps the casting wears, the membrane inside is found to wear out quicker than it should etc.
Please keep your tanks certified.
Thanks for the post.
__________________
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 07:05   #58
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,379
Re: Propane Tank Recertification

All SCUBA tanks have to be tested and recertified and most of those are aluminum. So ask a local dive shop where they send tanks for testing. Another option, the more expensive fire extinguishers also have to be pressure tested so check with someone in that market.

Also, which end of CT are you in. I used to work for a company in eastern CT that used a lot of propane tanks (but not for propane) and can ask them where they had their tanks tested.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 07:22   #59
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Boat: Able 50
Posts: 3,057
Re: Propane Tank Recertification

If you are ever in Newport I can recommend a place. They do repairs as well.
__________________
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 07:34   #60
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,312
Re: Propane Tank Recertification

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiSue View Post
Does any living in CT know where you can get an aluminum marine propane tank recertified? I have tried Amerigas, and other local refilling stations. Who will recertify?
As I posted a couple of times I got mine certified at a Suburban Propane. If they have operations in NH and they have operations in VA (the location that last reopened the thread), I just bet they have them in CT.

I even posted a location finder link earlier.
__________________

__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
certification, propane

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lehr Propane outboard: horizontal tank? liquid propane? ngermain Engines and Propulsion Systems 79 18-08-2014 17:06
Liferaft Repack/Recertification captain465 Health, Safety & Related Gear 1 14-03-2009 02:33
Propane Tank Fittings? Rangiroo Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 1 07-08-2007 13:57
Recertification of Life Raft Trim50 Monohull Sailboats 5 12-07-2007 18:17



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:11.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.