Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2016, 09:37   #1

Propane Stove Max Temp

Dear All,

Do you know what is the max temp of a propane stove temp ? Every time I use it I'm disappointed of how hot it gets....

Thank you

Eduardo
soares29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Propane Stove Max Temp

Well propane burns at about 3600°f so it entirely depends on the size of your burner to the size of your pot/pan and how long you allow for heat transfer.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:56   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Propane burns at about 1900 deg C. but I don't think that's what you're asking.

Are you talking about oven temperature or maybe how long it takes to boil water?

In that case you're talking about BTU's. That is going to depend on how much propane the stove burns and that will vary by manufacture. Most stove manufactures publish BTU ratings for their burners.

Most people are happy with the heat output of propane stoves. Maybe your burners need work?
Old 06-08-2016, 10:22   #4

Sorry, you are correct the question wasn't very clear. It is in regards to the oven. I doubt it reaches 300f...
Old 06-08-2016, 10:40   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We've got a force 10 oven, propane, that IMHO has too small of a burner in the oven. However it can and will reach 500 given time. We did add a pizza stone to the deflector plate to act as a heat sink. It takes longer to preheat now, but won't drop like a rock when you open the door or put a cold dish into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:48   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I find that an oven thermometer helps to calibrate the oven dial to actual temperature. My experience is the thermostat on marine/rv ovens runs cool, by 50-75 degrees F.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:52   #7

Boat: Caliber 40

I do not know the max but I am quite certain my Force 10 oven reaches at least 450 F. We have a custom pizza stone (slab) in our oven. I have preheated the oven to 450 F and use my IR thermometer to verify the surface of the pizza stone is at 450 F. That is on the rack in the center of the oven.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:46   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Take a look at the oven burner. It may just need cleaning.

Get the actual max temp with an oven thermometer or IR thermometer as has been suggested. Check with the stove manufacturer to see what is normal.
Old 06-08-2016, 13:24   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

In the US market, house/home stoves pretty much never exceed 500F on the highest "Broil" setting, and 450F on the oven baking settings. That's as good as it gets except for one $1000 special from GE which is made just for making pizza--something that requires 700-800F to do. (Pizza stones are a kludge.) And we have propane and butane and "mains" gas stoves that all reach those temperatures, so the fuel isn't the problem. Unless some backwater shop sold you a tank of mixed junk. Odds are that the burner or the thermostat is simply bad. Clogged, defective, maybe even the wrong burner jets (pro[pane/vs/CNG/vs/butane) are in it. It may be easier to replace those parts, if they are still being made, than to worry about troubleshooting it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 17:30   #10

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I cleaned out the burner holes in my Seaward 2162 so that identical flames came out every hole. I cleaned the oven orifice. I bought an dial oven thermometer at WalMart, cut the foot off the bottom, straightened out the hook at the top, and slid the now flat hook's slot under a screw in the oven door. That left the thermometer hanging inside the oven just inside the glass window where I can see it. I then knew how hot the oven was. I don't have to trust the dial thermostat. I then went by Lowes, bought a big black marble tile, had them make one cut (for free) to fit the oven under the racks and over the burner. Now all six muffins in the pan brown on the bottom at the same temperature and both the bread and the cherry tarts come out perfect. Along the way Sure Marine Services, Sure Marine Service, Inc. | Propane Galley Ranges , rebuilt a bad mercury control valve for the oven. (They also had instructions for diagnosing Seaward oven problems.)
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 18:40   #11

Thank you all !!!!

Great input and recommendations.

I generally bareboat in different locations and had a 31 footer several years ago ( back in Brazil ) . Trying to come up with a plan for next charter...

Kindest regards all. One day will live abroad ( with or without the wife )
Old 07-08-2016, 10:11   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Take a look at the oven burner. It may just need cleaning.

Get the actual max temp with an oven thermometer or IR thermometer as has been suggested. Check with the stove manufacturer to see what is normal.
Cleaning was also my thought. I believe, I know you can get a set of stiff wire of various gauges to clean orifices. They pivot out like feeler gauges. Try a welding supply house.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 15:28   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

As sailorchic wrote, get an oven thermometer and check what is happening. Remember the location of said themometer is also critical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soares29 View Post
Dear All,

Do you know what is the max temp of a propane stove temp ? Every time I use it I'm disappointed of how hot it gets....

Thank you

Eduardo
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane