Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-04-2012, 07:22   #16

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Re: Propane stove

We replaced our original Seward stove double burner with a Force 10 3 burner about 2 years ago. We are liveaboards and use the stove every day. We like the 3 burners and the folding door on the oven. We wish the oven was a little bigger though, height wise.

ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 20:04   #17

Boat: islandpacket

Dickinson 2 Burner Stove Woes

Old 06-04-2012, 13:42   #18

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Yachtsman View Post
Specifics please?? We have hated our original Eno since we bought the boat in 2003. A friend just installed a 3 burner gimballed Force 10 and loves it so any information you have will help us decide on a replacement.

Thanks,
I wrote a lengthy reply and hit the back arrow in error and well you know what happened. so here is the short version.

FYI I only have experience with the two burner stove top.

11000 BTU's for one burner is TOO much heat for that unit! it will warp the stainless plate and burner supports. if you have to have your water boil in 30 seconds than that's the stove you need.

the burner tops are NOT fasten to the burner assembly so they will fly in heavy seas and at best will rattle at choppy seas. Dickinson solution remove while on the move. in contrast force 10 burners are either screwed on or twisted to hold in place.

just because Dickinson make great diesel heater does not mean they are good at making propane stove tops.
Old 06-04-2012, 17:48   #19

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofer View Post
I wrote a lengthy reply and hit the back arrow in error and well you know what happened. so here is the short version.

FYI I only have experience with the two burner stove top.

11000 BTU's for one burner is TOO much heat for that unit! it will warp the stainless plate and burner supports. if you have to have your water boil in 30 seconds than that's the stove you need.

the burner tops are NOT fasten to the burner assembly so they will fly in heavy seas and at best will rattle at choppy seas. Dickinson solution remove while on the move. in contrast force 10 burners are either screwed on or twisted to hold in place.

just because Dickinson make great diesel heater does not mean they are good at making propane stove tops.

I have the cutting board that is held in place by the pot holders when stove is not in use and mine is gimbled, non issue for me. Mine has no problem with the 11,000 btus and a pot for crabs, pasta or a wok need the heat.
Old 06-04-2012, 19:14   #20

Boat: 1997 Sabre 362

My 85 Pearson 34 came with this Seaward Hillerange when I bought her in 2004. My winter project a couple years after purchase was to tear down & completely clean the stove, which was 20 years grungy, and attempt to revive the oven.
In the process I found out why these stoves are far more expensive than a much larger kitchen stove. The stove did come apart and go back together just fine, not something that could be done with a domestic appliance. All the parts are heavy gauge SS. This is a very well made stove.
I had the oven control rebuilt by The Uncertain Stoveman in TX for less than half of a new, which is still available from Seaward, and the oven works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP6505.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	39600  
Old 07-04-2012, 16:16   #21

Boat: Endeavour 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty
My 85 Pearson 34 came with this Seaward Hillerange when I bought her in 2004. My winter project a couple years after purchase was to tear down & completely clean the stove, which was 20 years grungy, and attempt to revive the oven.
In the process I found out why these stoves are far more expensive than a much larger kitchen stove. The stove did come apart and go back together just fine, not something that could be done with a domestic appliance. All the parts are heavy gauge SS. This is a very well made stove.
I had the oven control rebuilt by The Uncertain Stoveman in TX for less than half of a new, which is still available from Seaward, and the oven works great.
I wish parts were still available for mine (Galley Maid) but they are not.
Old 07-04-2012, 17:19   #22

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

The only Dickerson Stove Ive had was a diesel fired stove and believe me it worked well !! The only problem with it was it was way to hot for anywhere but northern climes!! no good in the tropics but great for the PNW I also had a seaward stove for about 16 years on our colvin and it worked really well and as said above it was really well made and I believe they would last forever with proper care and repairs! just the thoughts of a cheap old sailor !

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: