Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2009, 14:38   #1

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Propane: Refill vs Trade In...

Hi All! It's common around here to simply trade in your empty tanks for new ones. Out cruising, do you refill or trade in? Reason I ask is because I have my eye on a couple of those neat, see through composite tanks... and I dont want to get caught not being able to fill them when it counts. Thanks, Chris

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 15:10   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
It is getting harder and harder to find a place that refills propane bottles anymore. A major dealer like Suburban Propane or rental yards is about the only place around Seattle that will do refills, I think mostly due to the liability concept.

One good thing about trade-ins is they don't get a chance to get rusty.
Old 23-08-2009, 15:23   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
In the eastern Caribbean, you keep your own tank. From my experience, in St Thomas and St Lucia, you can take your tank to the refill location and get it filled on the spot. In St. Maarten, you drop it at Budget Marine (on Tuesdays, as I recall) and then pick it up the next day. It's a good idea to have two tanks.
Old 23-08-2009, 16:21   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
The counties we have done all refill.
You wont get no currency trying to swap and other counties bottle in the next country.

Also they are cheap, so nearly expendable items. $40 aprox for your cooking needs for 1 month. If you get into difficulties just buy a new one in the country you are in.

Its just like mobile phones... we have 4 of them! 3 differnt ones needed in USA/Carib and Panama; and the other phone for the rest of the world! LOLOL

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 16:34   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Hi All! It's common around here to simply trade in your empty tanks for new ones.
I spoke to the man that filled my tank ( I have a couple of those neat, see through composite tanks) last and he said it is really popular these days. Folks like it because it is easy but you know what? They are not full. Only half full. Gotta make money some how huh?

Anyway, that is what he said.

And yes I know a full tank still has "space" left in it. A half tank just has more space left in it I suppose.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 16:39   #6

Boat: Privilege 39
In the US, RV parts places generally sell propane. Some suppliers of industrial gasses do too...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 17:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I spoke to the man that filled my tank ( I have a couple of those neat, see through composite tanks) last and he said it is really popular these days. Folks like it because it is easy but you know what? They are not full. Only half full. Gotta make money some how huh?

Anyway, that is what he said.

And yes I know a full tank still has "space" left in it. A half tank just has more space left in it I suppose.
So you're a Tank half full kind of guy?

Old 23-08-2009, 17:09   #8

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Check your local laws on the composite tanks, I bought one through west marine, when I brought it to be filled I found out Louisiana law for some reason forbids filling them. It was the first one west marine had sold in the area so they were surprised too but took it back with no problem. I now carry an aluminum tank which is to keep and have refilled and one trade in style so I always have an alternative for what ever source is available where I am when one runs out.
Steve
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 17:14   #9

I can guarantee you I will never sail to Louisiana. I checked though...Louisiana is the only state in the union that doesn't certify them. I'll bet I wouldn't have a problem in any other country either...

Their website states they have these certifications: Department of Transportation (DOT)—Special Permit #14562 Transport Canada—SU 8717 EN 12245 is certified by TUV Rheinland; Certificate # 01 202 630 1A-08010GT for the 10 lb. Certificate # 01 202 630 1B 08023-T for the 20 lb. and 25 lb.
ISO # 11119-3

Old 23-08-2009, 17:42   #10

Boat: No Boat right now :-(
Send a message via ICQ to Endojoe Send a message via AIM to Endojoe Send a message via MSN to Endojoe Send a message via Yahoo to Endojoe Send a message via Skype™ to Endojoe
I actually talked to a lady at Lite Cylinder on the phone, and she said they're still trying to get Louisiana, that it was in process when Katrina happened and the bureaucracy to get approval went through the roof after the hurricane, and the state government has been less than cooperative. All other states certified though, she said. Really nice, helpful and informative customer service, but I can't for the life of me remember her name. Also said she had a friend that had circumnavigated with one and he had no problems getting it filled anywhere.
Endojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 18:53   #11

Thank you Joe. Seems like a nice company too. I like their website ( http://www.litecylinder.com/ ) and the prices on the 20lb. tanks really aren't that bad: around $90 US

Old 23-08-2009, 19:27   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
here I can get a steel tank for about $30 US. They don't last long on the boat though. There are a few threads on the cmposite tanks here already. It's worth a read as we had a few vendors reply about them. It is nice to see how much is left. I'll probably get one soon. The tank I have isn't long for the world and about 4 years is all the steel ones last around here.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 19:36   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i get my 5 gal aluminum one filled for 16 dollars in san diego at some gasoline stations--shell in imperial beach and unocal in chula vista.....when i use my force 20 stove3 with oven , the propane will last me 3 months.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 17:52   #14

Boat: a sailing boat
Filling / swapping varies from country to country, we were not able to trade in our tanks ever.

Some countries refuse to fill foreign tanks (NZ, AUS, some places in Spain) others fill all tanks as long as they hold good certificate (French Polynesia, Panama, Tonga). Some places cheat (RSA).

We found filling our tanks cost us about 25% of what it costs to swap the blue butane CampingGas tanks (per gas net weight). The CampingGas tanks were probably the only one truly 'international' option.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 17:18   #15

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Filling / swapping varies from country to country, we were not able to trade in our tanks ever.

Some countries refuse to fill foreign tanks (NZ, AUS, some places in Spain) others fill all tanks as long as they hold good certificate (French Polynesia, Panama, Tonga). Some places cheat (RSA).
b.
Not quite true. NZ has no problem filling foreign tanks as long as the tank is engraved with capacity in kg and date of certification. We filled ours in Whangaparoa in Dec 2008 and in Opua in April 2009. Absolutely no problems found having our USA aluminum tanks refilled here in Australia both in Mackay June 09 and Darwin Sept 09.

Refilling of the new composite tanks might be more difficult is places outside the USA. At least until other areas become more familiar with these new clear tanks. Suggest you first define your cruising grounds and then check for that area as to whether the new tanks can be refilled.

We carry 2 aluminum tanks with standard USA fittings. No problem getting refills throughout the Caribbean, northern South America, Central America, across entire South Pacific, including NZ and OZ. Although in French Polynesia and in Tonga they used butane instead of propane. Not a problem.

Cheap steel tanks are also usually available in most countries. Those are so cheap that they could be considered disposable as you move from one country to another. And they rust so quickly in the salt air environment that you probably wouldn't want to have one very long anyway.

Judy
S/V BeBe
Amel SM2 #387
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote