Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2015, 11:06   #1

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Propane In SF Bay Area

We're spending a couple months in the San Francisco Bay area and have yet to find a place to refil the propane cylinders...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:19   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Propane In SF Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
We're spending a couple months in the San Francisco Bay area and have yet to find a place to refil the propane cylinders...

In Marin County:

Peter's Beacon
108 BELLAM BLVD
SAN RAFAEL, CA 949014815
415-457-3020

Marin Express Lube
831 E. FRANCISCO BLVD
SAN RAFAEL, CA 949014725
415-457-4272

For more see Find AmeriGas Propane Locations

McPhails might also be able to refill your tank(s) from one of their trucks. Call 415.285.3525
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 14:45   #3

Boat: Freedom 38

I had trouble, too, for a while. I now go to Cresco Equipment Rentals in Burlingame because they will fill any size and not require a minimum. There is also an RV park in Pacifica that will do the same. These might be a bit far from SF Bay, so just look for similar businesses to where you are located.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 14:50   #4

If you're in Alameda, Alameda Auto Lab on 631 Buena Vista.

Also please note that this site has a location finder :

Find Propane Retailer - PERC
Old 06-04-2015, 15:48   #5

we went to auto lab in alameda on our last time through.. filled two 1gl tanks and he charged us $15 each.. two gallons (est) for $30.. we wont do that again.. and when we called him on the price, he pointed to a sign on the wall, reading.. "minimum charge, $15 per tank"..
Due to the fact that we are on the boat now and traveling, its harder to find some things like propane within walking distance..
Old 06-04-2015, 15:55   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

The Bay Area is a big place +1 on Cresco, many locations, most will fill tanks. Also U-Haul locations, many fill tanks (you can check for the one closest to you here: U-Haul: Propane Refill Stations).

If you are in the Richmond area there are a couple of gas/petrol stations near the boatyards (KKMI etc.) on Cutting Blvd. that have propane fill. There are lots of place around, but understand how difficult they can be to find. If you can be more specific about location might be able to point you to some.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 16:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaOnR3 View Post
we went to auto lab in alameda on our last time through.. filled two 1gl tanks and he charged us $15 each.. two gallons (est) for $30.. we wont do that again.. and when we called him on the price, he pointed to a sign on the wall, reading.. "minimum charge, $15 per tank"..
Due to the fact that we are on the boat now and traveling, its harder to find some things like propane within walking distance..
That's a shame, I'll have to find somewhere else, it was $10 per tank last time.
Old 06-04-2015, 16:34   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Delta Marina in Rio Vista (Ca Delta), has a propane fill station on site, Plus gas and diesel
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 16:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
The Bay Area is a big place +1 on Cresco, many locations, most will fill tanks. Also U-Haul locations, many fill tanks (you can check for the one closest to you here: U-Haul: Propane Refill Stations).

If you are in the Richmond area there are a couple of gas/petrol stations near the boatyards (KKMI etc.) on Cutting Blvd. that have propane fill. There are lots of place around, but understand how difficult they can be to find. If you can be more specific about location might be able to point you to some.
It dosent really matter, as long as its within a mile or so from where we can park the boat.. KKMI migh be the answer..
The biggest issue is that most places are a few miles from any marina or anchorage..
Old 06-04-2015, 16:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Delta Marina in Rio Vista (Ca Delta), has a propane fill station on site, Plus gas and diesel
We're in the area right now, at Decker Island but will be heading for the bay in a couple days..
Plans are to hang around the bay for a couple months before heading south as Randy has a couple Canvas jobs to to there.
Reason I'm asking is that due to our cooking, shower, and all hot water comes from propane and we normally stock only a month or so , I'm looking for places in the Bay area.
Old 06-04-2015, 17:15   #11

Boat: Outremer 50S

If you're anywhere near KKMI both the 76 and Arco stations at Cutting and Harbour Way have propane fills. Probably somewhere about a mile, maybe a little less. If it's going to be a weekday shoot me a message a day or so in advance, could easily give you a lift, work just down the street (if I'm not out on a site somewhere).
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 18:05   #12

Thanks to everyone for the information.

Ramona
Old 07-04-2015, 07:26   #13

allied propane in Richmond right off 580 next to smith co epoxy. park bettwen the trucks. price is based on the days propane rate
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:49   #14

Boat: '83 Catalina 30

Sail over to Ballena Bay Marina - they have propane fill services up in the parking lot.
Ballena Isle Marina
1150 Ballena Blvd.
Suite #111
Alameda, CA 94501-3682
Telephone: (510)) 523-5528
FAX: (510) 865-2257
EMAIL: slips@ballenaisle.com
Harbor Master:
Mr. Bill Chase
drpaoletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:27   #15

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaoletta View Post
Sail over to Ballena Bay Marina - they have propane fill services up in the parking lot.
Awesome info for me to know, too. Thanks The big question for me is whether these places charge a minimum. I have two, 5-lb tanks that I only fill when one is empty and I switch to the other. I think last time it cost about $5 for a fill up. Even a $10 minimum is not reasonable, though that might be fine for Randyonr.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, sf bay