Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2014, 12:25   #16

Re: Pressure or slow cooker What's best for cooking onboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by svinshallah View Post
A good pressure cooker is indispensable and really fast. For slow cooking, Nissan Thermos used to sell a 4 or 6 liter pot that was heated on the stove, then inserted into a large vacuum jacket. They would stay over 185 degrees all day with no energy.
That is interesting to know.

I have a Nissan thermos that is a good 20+ years old. The poor old thing is dented and banged up but it keeps coffee hot all day long. It would keep the temperature long but some of the dents touch the inner wall. Best thermos I have ever owned.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 14:01   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdanftw View Post
pressure Cooker combo it is then
Note that most combo units do not reach enough pressure to use most pressure cooker recipes.

Most recipes are at 15 PSI, and the Fagor Multi Cooker (for example) only reaches 9 PSI.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 14:23   #18

Boat: Pacific 38

I didn't realise the need of electricity for the combo units...I'm mostly on gas (even if in a marina) so will need to buy a normal pressure cooker cheers again everyone :-)

Sent from my C6603 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tomdanftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 09:58   #19

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We have both on board but I use the pressure cooker more.
Old 20-07-2014, 16:48   #20

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

I have both -- and use the slow cooker less frequently. It is ideal however when underway because mine is small enough to fit into the galley sink -- it can't tumble onto the deck. I have plenty of power when motoring.

But for practicality, a pressure cooker on your gas stove is best in my opinion.

It really does depend upon your cruising style. I'd tend to go with a pressure cooker purchase as the first option. IF you need or want a slow cooker they can be had at thrift stores for about $5. Consider one as "disposable" or leave it in the laundry room of your marina if that's where you dock.

Have fun.
Old 20-07-2014, 17:57   #21

My vote is for the pressure cooker first. Use mine quite bit.
Old 23-07-2014, 05:35   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Wonderbag - Home

Pressure cooker for speed and fuel saving and Wonderbag for slow cooking with fuel savings
Old 24-07-2014, 10:15   #23

For sure the pressure cooker.

WonderBag looks pricey at over US$55... Like someone said earlier in the thread, wrap it in a duvet.
J_O_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 11:42   #24

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Yes but first wrap it in a old towel or blanket. To keep from getting soot ( even propane will put some soot on the bottom of your pot) on your good comforter. And I use my insulated box almost every day I can't believe more people aren't doing the same
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 12:14   #25

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

What about a Dutch oven? It's the predecessor of both the pressure cooker and the crock pot. You can cook with it either stove top or in the oven....OR if all you have is a stove top, this allows you to use the stove too as an oven.

Get a skillet of the same size and you have a lid you can use on either.

Scot McPherson
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:20   #26

Boat: Catamaran 55
Re: Pressure or Slow Cooker, What's Best for Cooking Onboard

To the Lady's that use a slow cookers , I would really appreciate a few good and tasty recipes , mine come out really uninspiaring and insipid. Even my Oxtail in the slow cooker is so totally different from what I used to cook while living on land, even tho I fry it first. I like any kind of food from Asian to spicy to gentle taste of chicken and cheese as long as it is tasty. What is the secret of getting the great taste while cooking in a slow cooker ? Thanks Kristín.
KKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:58   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you will cook on board same as you cook in your home. what you use there you will use on board. i rarely use my pressure cooker and have more use currently for a crock pot, however, i woudnt use it often, either.
if you plan on international travel, you willnot be able to find a crock pot in mexico, so if you use even occasionally, plan on buying before arrival.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:15   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
you will cook on board same as you cook in your home. what you use there you will use on board. i rarely use my pressure cooker and have more use currently for a crock pot, however, i woudnt use it often, either.
if you plan on international travel, you willnot be able to find a crock pot in mexico, so if you use even occasionally, plan on buying before arrival.
Zee, I disagree here. For me, cooking on board is very different to cooking back home where I had unlimited power, an excellent exhaust fan, a microwave and a zillion appliances, unlimited space, unlimited refrigeration and all the supplies my heart could desire that could be transported easily into my kitchen and equally easily stored in my huge pantry or fridge/freezer.

I never used a pressure cooker back home (in fact looked in horror at the whole concept). This has now become a vital piece of equipment for me. I always use mine as a slow cooker, bringing it to pressure then turning it off and simply letting it sit for an hour. No steam, little gas used and no risk of burning or overcooking.

I was a bit lost on board initially. It think we survived on cheese, prosciutto and tomato toasties for the first six months until I started to get the hang of cooking on board .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:25   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Zee, I disagree here. For me, cooking on board is very different to cooking back home where I had unlimited power, an excellent exhaust fan, a microwave and a zillion appliances, unlimited space, unlimited refrigeration and all the supplies my heart could desire that could be transported easily into my kitchen and equally easily stored in my huge pantry or fridge/freezer.

I never used a pressure cooker back home (in fact looked in horror at the whole concept). This has now become a vital piece of equipment for me. I always use mine as a slow cooker, bringing it to pressure then turning it off and simply letting it sit for an hour. No steam, little gas used and no risk of burning or overcooking.

I was a bit lost on board initially. It think we survived on cheese, prosciutto and tomato toasties for the first six months until I started to get the hang of cooking on board .
I think this depends greatly on how you cooked at home and how you cruise.

If you are primarily at anchor with no generator, limited power supply may drive you to low power options whether you like it or not. But even at anchor as long as you have a decent propane supply, stove top and oven cooking doesn't change drastically.

If you stay at marinas or have a generator (oh the horror!!!), you will likely cook the same as when you are at home.

Growing up we had a pressure cooker and used it a couple times a week. We don't currently own one.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:30   #30

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
SL+1. Between having to haul propane, Having less space to prepare food, usually wanting to keep heat out of the galley, Limited electricity and limited funds when cruising, cooking on a boat is much different in my experience than cooking on land. And almost forgot limited refrigeration space or no refrigeration. EDIT: when I was on land food preservation didn't even cross my mind except for camping trips.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking