Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 22:32   #196

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
i make a chicken curry in a skillet... sliced chicken breasts, thin strips... two onions chopped up into small pieces...

brown onion (dark), then add chicken and brown chicken, then add curry mix.. (i like the kind in the box/tray... and i like medium hot...

then you can add carrots or water chestnuts, and I like the small chinese corn on the cobb thigns..

then cook some rice... and while hte rice is cooking, the curry sauce thickens up.. then when rice is done ladel the sauce with chicken onto the rice

sorry for not measurements of stuff... i never measure anyting except desert stuff.. and baking things...
can't be any good.....it's not cooked in a pressure cooker :-)

Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 23:06   #197

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
berg

a few posts ago but

15 psi is close to atmospheric pressues (1 ATM = 14.7 psi) and any metal container will handle that easily
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 23:57   #198

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
I bought a fagor elite 4L.

I bought a pressure cooker just because of this thread and it was the best $40 I ever spent!
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 00:35   #199
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
berg

a few posts ago but

15 psi is close to atmospheric pressues (1 ATM = 14.7 psi) and any metal container will handle that easily
as stated a few messages prior to the few messages prior to that...

i didnt stated the pressure, somoene else did.. i used it as the'number' with the caveat that i didnt know what the pressure was...'

The pressure , whatever it is , is signficant enough to be potentially catostrophic.. erego the safety measures and devices installed and manufactured into the pressure cooker...

if those fail, the cooker will exceed the design pressure, and the safety devices should kick in, if they dont the pressure will rise and rise until the pot fails, catostrophically..
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:06   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
Stove broke and I cooked a meat loaf in the pressure cooker last night. I'll never cook one in the oven again. Brown the cold meatloaf in the pressure cooker, I used a 2 1/2 quart small one, then add tomato sauce, I didn't have tomato sauce so used canned tomatoes I junked up with herbs and Worcestershire. Twenty-five minutes at pressure and natural relese. Unbelievable, tend meatloaf with roasted tomatoes is the result.
that sounds yummy! you made me think of trying that procedure. :-)
...for some experiment.
lyfbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:51   #201

My Kuhn Ricoh took a header off the stove earlier this week, luckily it was empty but that is probably why it was light to to fly in choppy seas. And the pressure mechanism flew in pieces around thegalley. I didn't even know what pieces I had and what I had lost. I ended up calling Sara's Pantry and the most knowledgeable person answered the phone. Talked me through every piece and said she would overnight them. After the conversation ended, she called back to explain how I could use the pressure cooker and was I sure I wanted to spend the money for overnighting. That is excellent service in my mind.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:40   #202
cruiser

definatly nice customer service... something we dont see or hear very often...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 13:44   #203

Correction: Shar's Kitchen Center.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 16:28   #204
cruiser

Soak overnight a cup of 18 bean soup mix from the bulk foods source( Very cheap) Sea water is OK.Rinse several times ( with seawater if needed) till the rinse water is clear. Drain.
Add three cups of fresh water, a squirt of ketchup, a teaspoon of chile powder, a couple tablespoons of demerara sugar, a squirt of cooking oil or a tablespoon of lard( to stop it from foaming and plugging the rocker, works with split pea soup as well)a shake of Cajun spice, a chopped onion , and cook it at 17 pounds, for 30 minutes ,with the rocker rocking slowly.
Let cool at its own speed before opening it.
Great bean soup.
To save left overs , bring back up to pressure and leave the rocker on, canned in the pressure cooker. (works well with left over fish ,etc as well)
The soup will thicken to a paste in the next few hours, making an awesome burrito filer.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 16:39   #205
cruiser

Rinse a cup of split peas till the water runs clear( to get the farts out, in seawater if neccesary) Add three cups of fresh water , a heaping tablespoon of lard or two of cooking oil, a tablespoon of demerara sugar, a sprinkle of cajun spice , then cook at 17 pounds pressure, with just enough heat to barely keep the rocker moving slowly, ( any more heat will burn it) for 17 minutes . Let cool at it's own speed before opening it.
Good pea soup, extremely cheap. Thickens with time.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 18:26   #206
Scurvy Dog

Beans and Rice
This meal is excellent and very satisfying, you can eat it day after day and not get tired of it. Makes 3 servings

Rinse and soak 1 cup pinto beans for at least 6 hours
In a pressure cooker:
Simmer a medium chopped onion and a chopped garlic clove in oil
Add beans and enough water to cover them
Add 1 Tbs each: dehydrated carrot, dehydrated celery, dehydrated leek
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Cook under pressure 15 minutes, let cool
Add 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp bullion
Heat up to boiling, stir
Drain liquid from beans into a measuring cup
Put beans aside in a bowl
Top up measuring cup with water to 2 cups
Return liquid to pressure cooker
Add 1 cup brown rice
Cook 15 minutes under pressure, let cool
Eat rice and beans on a tortilla with thin sliced cabbage, hot sauce and chopped tomato if you have it.

Good quality dehydrated vegetables here: Leeks
Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 19:22   #207
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Jeez.... whats with all this 'survival food'..... rice n beans... I can turn this out in a pan in the same time...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:59   #208

Boat: Skookum built Ed Monk Cold molded center cockpit, Electric propulsion 43' LOD 49'10" LOA 13'6" beam
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, QUester51.
Thank you, i'm looking forwad to great conversations
Old 11-02-2011, 06:38   #209

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34
Hmmm. Now you guys have got me thinkin' pressure cooker. But tell me somethin' Hannah; how do you go about "browning" a meatloaf in a pressure cooker? I have browned pork chops and roasts in a skillet but , being a guy with little culinary skills I picture myself trying to flip a meatloaf several times in an effort to brown it on all sides and then winding up with the basis for chili con carne instead of meatloaf. Help me please!
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:26   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrad View Post
Hmmm. Now you guys have got me thinkin' pressure cooker. But tell me somethin' Hannah; how do you go about "browning" a meatloaf in a pressure cooker? I have browned pork chops and roasts in a skillet but , being a guy with little culinary skills I picture myself trying to flip a meatloaf several times in an effort to brown it on all sides and then winding up with the basis for chili con carne instead of meatloaf. Help me please!
The rubber seals and other bits are all in the lid. without the lid a pressure cooker is just a pan. Brown meats in the bottom using tongs or wooden spoon to turn as needed. All the brown bits in the bottom of the pan (fond) will disolve in the liquid when you cook. Just make sure you have at least the minimum amount of liqiud in the pan when you put the lid on.
harmonytek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking