Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-01-2011, 07:35   #61
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
have had my non stainless presto 6 qt for 5 years now--love it-- bought w 4 qt in louisiana but never got the chance to use it while sailing gulf....

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:21   #62
cruiser

im guessng you ahve never seen a tire blow up?

PSI = pounds per square inches.. now, take 15 pounds times the number of square inches mulitiplied by 15, (assuming that is the correct pressure), and include the po0tential/stored energy by the expansion / tensile strength of the metal and seals and BAM BAM KABOOM...

you will not want to be anywhere near there, not to mention just the concussion and schrapnel, but the hot material inside will be sprayed over a distance of about 10' at least...

just sayin'

Old 12-01-2011, 14:04   #63

I've never seen a pressure cooker expand when cooking and I've never seen one explode. The pressure relief valves do a good job. And in a seaway when the going gets rough, a pressure cooker stays sealed when it flies off the stove, as a opposed to a non-pressurized pot which then does exactly as you predict, sprays food for more than ten feet.
Old 12-01-2011, 14:08   #64
cruiser

seeing teh 'expansion' is like watching kids grow up.. it is kinda small and not 'significant' and kinda hard to see, but, if you watch it, maybe when you are running it under water, you will see it shrink back to normal size..

yes, the pressure should keep the lid sealed in typical fall off the stove or something, but it is possible for the lid to come apart just like a scuba tank or co2 tank can have teh nozzle knocked off...

and boiling liquids can react to disturbance with violent results......

maybe there are some youtube vids of this.. i will look up and see what i can find and post them...
Old 12-01-2011, 14:39   #65
cruiser

im having issues with videos on my laptop.. everytime i watch one, the laptop freezes or gets all LAGGY...

there isnt a whole lot of vids or info out there as the newer pressure cookers are built much better, more safeguards..etc....

but there are some vids out there...
Old 12-01-2011, 15:30   #66

Boat: Beneteau 393
Cooked beets last Sunday- worked like a charm, and really saved propane/cooking time! It is growing on me

My other big complaint beside being able to wash it in the sink easily was that when quick releasing pressure it added all sorts of steam/moisture to the boat. Was talking to my neighbor and she said, "just throw a dish towel over the nozzle and it will catch almost all the steam"...works perfect but I felt like I should have figured out something so obvious! Also cuts down on the steam noise which my kids don't really like...

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 16:03   #67
cruiser

I welded up my own pressure cooker ,out of scrap stainless. Filled it with water, then tested it to 150 lbs PSI. If a contaner full of water bursts , it's harmless, unlike gas, as liquids don't compress, so they don't expand when they burst.
Tested to 150 lbs, there is little chance of it blowing at 15 PSI
Better odds of getting hit by an asteroid.
I let mine cool by itself, before taking the rocker off it. Makes good use of all that extra free cooking time. Less steam too.
Old 12-01-2011, 16:07   #68

Boat: Beneteau 393
Pics please or it didn't happen!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 15:37   #69
cruiser

I don't have a scanner, or access to one. Drop by and I'll show it to you.
Old 13-01-2011, 15:44   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again
We are boat-bound in Key West, and the admiral was trying out her new Pressure Magic pressure cooker (the Presto wasn't expensive enough). She dry cooked a pork roast under pressure (delicious), then made fudge (beyond delicious). I guess its a keeper.
Old 13-01-2011, 18:04   #71
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I am not a very good cook… but I excel at eating! J

Over Xmas a friend gave us this “Turbo Broiler” and we used it last night for a simple recipe.

The best whole roast chicken ever… so tender and juicy the meat fell off the bone dripping with juices and the skin was crispy brown.

Done in 30 minutes from a cold start!

These broilers are popular in the Philippines and with a Glass dish you can cook multi levels whole meals of meat and vegetables… put in and take out when you see it is done.

turbo broiler - Hanapin sa Google

This makes sense for me to use when the gen is charging the batteries and we are making water and since I do not have an oven on board…. all baking and broiling can be done when it is too windy for the BBQ.

Anyone out there have some experience with these?

Abenson - The no.1 Appliance store in Philippines
Old 13-01-2011, 18:47   #72

Boat: Newport 30 MK III
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I believe 15 psi is the standard "high" pressure setting. That's less than half what's in my car tires.
Just cook them twice as long to make them tender.

I think.

Guy
Old 13-01-2011, 19:03   #73

We have one of the cookers that they sell at the boat shows...I forget the brand. I feel very safe with the cooker. I can load, cook and let the steam off without using a hot pad. The lid is designed to deform and let the steam out before the pot will rupture. We use it to speed up cooking. Soups cooked for 20 minutes tastes like it was simmered for many hours. We can roast a pork or beef roast and have it on the table in 1 hour with potatoes, carrots and onions.
Old 13-01-2011, 20:42   #74
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
in winter, when use mine most, i just sit it outside-- pressure goes down rapidly as the food cools. no danger of sploding foodzz..LOL..snow works great......mom opened one too soon when i was very young and impressionable and they didnt have yet the safety thingies to keep ye from turning the lid too soon-- there was a kinda mess and was reallly steamy in kitchen.....butchya cant do that anymore.

i was more impressed by the noise my mom made when that happened.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 22:49   #75

never used one but I guess doing pasta or vegetables in this reduces humidity in cabine, right??

Tags
cooking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: