Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2012, 10:33   #46

Boat: Endeavour 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMWER
Another resource for pressure cooking (reviews, how-to's and recipes) is Laura Pazzaglia Simmarano's site:

hip pressure cooking - pressure cooker recipes & tips!

She recently ran a month long online pressure cooking class for the Women Who Sail group on Facebook, and has tons of knowledge that she is very willing to share.
Hip pressure cooking is a great resource! Some very innovative recipes.
Trox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 14:22   #47

Boat: Irwin 38
Re: Pressure Cooker Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelleyG View Post
I'm really new to pressure cookers, so how exactly do you can with the pressure cooker? Do you make the food first and then put it all in the jars and seal them?

Thanks for the help!

Kelley
Sailing Chance
Kelley

My first exposure to pressure cookers was specifically for canning. My mother used a pressure cooker that looked like something out of a bad Frankenstein movie - big and lots of gauges and bolts!

Since I've 'rediscovered' pressure cookers for meal prep, I've run across a couple of books I'm using to figure out the canning stuff for our boat. Check out "Blue Book Guide to Preserving" written by the Ball folks who have made canning jars and supplies for years. It has tons of details about what, why and how, including lots of time tested recipes - figure its your 128 pg bible!

And then, for fun, try "Putting Up" written by a southern gentleman who applies modern science methods to his canning of jams, chutneys, relishes, etc . While his recipes are more gourmet and specific to seasonal items found in the USA South, his scientific approach (PH levels, acidity, etc) to food safety AND flavor dispense with some of the traditional processes because of better tools to confirm safety of the food while preserving the yummy flavors.

I'm beginning to work my way through these two books, hoping to develop my skill set so I can be more confident of preserving local foods as we encounter them cruising.
MMWER is offline   Reply With Quote