Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2014, 17:20   #16

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Pressure Cooker

I have an old school pressure cooker that is the only thing we use to cook things while in any kind of big waves on long passages. Have even had it launch off the stove with a big lee lurch and stay closed so we didnt lose dinner. It did ricochet off a crewmember's head - did more damage there than to the food.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 17:31   #17

And as with anything on a boat it should perform double duty and it does that well also as a pan with a top that can not fall off when used without the pressure weight, but you will have to retrain yourself on cooking times
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 17:36   #18

Boat: 40'

Find cookbooks from Lorna Sass. Cooking Under Pressure and others. Great recipes for Pressure Cookers and technique on using them.
ChasD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 18:21   #19

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

I second the Lorna Sass recommendation. 23 years ago, I went cruising through the Caribbean with a 6 liter T-Fal and a Kuhn-Rikon frypan-sized pressure cookers. As it happens, I used the T-Fal tonight when making dinner. They are both going strong. I've replaced the gaskets once. Buy a good one (or two) and it will outlast you.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 18:21   #20

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Lots of pressure cooker books on Amazon with reviews. As noted, with the lid on tight you don't have to worry about being splashed with boiling water. Carolyn Sherlock may have some recommendations on The Boat Galley
www.theboatgalley.com
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 06:12   #21

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Do you pre cook them or put them in the jars
raw and how long do you pressure cook them for? Thanks
The Salmon are put into jars raw and skinned or filleted, try to fill the jar as tightly as possible, add a teaspoon of coarse salt and a teaspoon of vinegar. Put the lids on screwing down the top ring , but not too tight. Cook at 10lbs. pressure for 1 hour and remove the heat. Allow to slowly cool down remove the jars. wait for the lids to snap under vacuum, tighten the top ring a bit and you are done. Crab meat is similar but is pre cooked and takes less time (you don't need the vinegar either).
Old 13-02-2014, 06:44   #22

Pressure Cooker Recipes

+1 on Lorna Sass.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 07:34   #23

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Never had one on a boat. Use to have one at home years ago but found that we never used it. Before buying one think about what you eat and whether you are prepared to change your ways. We eat the same way on a boat as we do at home.
Old 13-02-2014, 08:07   #24

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
The great part of this form is different opinions. But I can't imagine having to change the way you eat. If you steam anything the pressure cooker is the way to go. For example you wouldn't think you would use it for broccoli since it takes such a short time but I have found that if I steam it in the pressure cooker, turn off the heat as soon as it starts steaming, not even full pressure, it comes out perfect every time. Fully cooked but not mushy. I like to steam my potatoes whole so they keep their nutrition. Small potatoes about 12 minutes bigger potatoes 13. Sure there's a learning curve because you have to know how long to cook. But once you know, it will come out perfect every time.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 19:20   #25

While the cooking method is different the food tastes like is was simmered, steamed, roasted or baked. Just takes a small amount of practice. I can cook a good beef vegetable soup in under an hour, including prep. It will taste like it simmered for several hours. I have also baked sweet rolls (put a trivet below the baking pan) and roasted pork loins with potatoes, carrots and onions. The onions will just kinda go away, but the flavor is left. Having a locking lid is very nice even if you never bring the cooker up to pressure.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 20:15   #26

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Never leave the dock without a pressure cooker! both a 6 QT and a big one for canning! we can tuna, salmon, meat, veggies and many other things!! makes our food buget a lot smaller !! And it will cook the toughest meat into a tender meal !! Just sayin we are old and used to them,as our mothers used them ! but we have convinced a lot of folks to have them aboard after eating a meal Connie cooked in the Pressure cooker why they watched !!
Old 17-02-2014, 13:05   #27

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

If you have the space, it's worth it.
Old 17-02-2014, 13:29   #28

I printed out all of the instructions on the National Center for Home Food Preservation site to use when canning. National Center for Home Food Preservation

The link to canning instructions, National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Can and the link to meats, poultry and sea food, National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Can Meats.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 17:11   #29

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

Well I am looking at a 4 qt stainless steel in that its just me and maybe one other so in this case size is not important...i picked stainless steel because i have been told there are certain foods u should not cook in an alum pressure cooker....
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 02:43   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
Well I am looking at a 4 qt stainless steel in that its just me and maybe one other so in this case size is not important...i picked stainless steel because i have been told there are certain foods u should not cook in an alum pressure cooker....
Make sure that you buy one that has replacement parts (gasket) readily available. My old pressure cooker is designated as 'old' purely because I can't get a gasket for it.