Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2014, 17:19   #1

Preserve Fish Meat in Hot Climates?

Many cruisers don't use the fridge cause it's expensive & requires a lot of energy.
So, if a cruiser were to catch a big fish, how could he preserve it in tropical climates, in the boat?

I've spent days trying to find an answer to this, and it's absolutely rediculous that I haven't found an answer yet. The one most promising post on one cruising forum that should have had all the answers was mysteriously removed. Lets get to the bottom of this solution here & now.

I've been reading that Jamaican jerk using scotch bonnet peppers & smoking is one way of preserving meat & obviously Jamaica has a hot climate, but they're recipes have been Americanized & most all preservation recipes say to store the meat in the fridge - nonsense. There must be an authentic way of doing this without a fridge.

One promising looking article mentioned laying strips of meat in layers of salt, in a bucket, and just repeating layers. What's the maximum thickness for either the meat or the salt? Does the bucket need to be air-tight, or would an air-tight seal cause spoilage? Most sites say to use cheesecloth to keep the flies out (& this would allow it to breat fresh air)

Some sites write about making salt brine, but 99% of those sites won't give ratios of salt to water. If a potato floats, it's good, or if an egg floats, it has enough salt. That's what one article mentioned.

I've tried the salt brine method. It worked for a few days, but in my boat, we're talking temperatures of 90 degrees. It's uncomfortable in this oven, and after a few days, the whole vat of salt-water brine smelled terrible.

Most articles that mention brining meat, also say you have to smoke it after it's been sitting in the brine for about 3 days. Some say, just patting it down w/ a cloth & hanging the meat to dry is sufficient to preserve it, but then you have to store it in a cool place. I just doubt my bilge would count, as hot as this cabin gets. Besides, the 100% moisture in the air further makes preserving meat difficult.

One poster mentioned laying the meat cut in salt, and then replacing the salt once it turns to slush. It tuns to slush, cause it absorbed moisture. This sounds like a good strategy to try next, but, I'm concerned that I cannot find one good article that tells how to preserve a fresh catch, like shark, or tuna, in hot & humid weather without ice or refridgeration.

Anyone have any real-world experience with this?

I'll put a disclaimer in here for all the following posts, as well as this one. Experiment w/ eating preserved meat only in emergency situations & at your own risk. Don't do it w/out consulting a medical doctor and put your life insurance in my name.
liveaboardL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 17:29   #2

Boat: Able 50
Re: Preserve fish meat in hot climates?

The only way is canning - which on a yacht involves pickling jars rather than cans. Drying won't work in high humidity. A few posters here on CF have done plenty more of it than me. They'll be here soon enough.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 17:29   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboardL View Post
Many cruisers don't use the fridge cause it's expensive & requires a lot of energy.
I "know" of one or two of these type from the internet, but have never met any in the hundreds of cruisers we have come across.

The simplest solution is to go for smaller fish and only catch them when needed. The second part of that sentence is more difficult than the first.

I do know people who intentionally dry fish for jerky and that seems to work well (for them - I'm not a fan). Alternately, smoking fish is a proven preservation method with lots of good available info on how to do it. Might be difficult on the boat underway, but once anchored somewhere it may be more reasonable to do.

I'm curious about your problem with not being able to find the brine solution mix from 99% of the websites. Were the 1% that did have it just intolerable to look at?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 18:37   #4

Boat: 21 ft sail boat

It's probably been mentioned but preserving in an acid solution. Affects the taste but would put your old battery acid to good use.
Adventurebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 19:06   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We use radio active cesium to sterilize the meat after its packed. Perhaps cruising near Fukoshima?

Canning is about the only way in the tropics. pretty serious energy required. No free lunch.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 19:08   #6

Salt cod has been a staple for centuries. I have seen a demonstration of how it is made in Newfoundland's Gros Morne National Park - Trout River. I'm sure that they would share recipe if you can't find it elsewhere. There are a couple of cautions: 1) it's done on land, 2) it takes considerable time, space, and intestinal strength, and 3) it's an acquired taste. I also think it is designed for groundfish, not oily fish.

For oily fish, like tuna or mackerel, salt brining and smoking is the traditional preservation technique. I have done it, although I always refrigerated the mackerel afterwards. It's delicious, for what it's worth. The caution here is the danger of smoking itself - I damn near burned down a house years ago when coals spilling out of the smoker caught the deck on fire.

The best idea is to can the fish. Pack it raw, in glass jars with new lids, leaving an inch or so of headspace. No salt or spices; its best to add those when the jar is opened. Process it at high pressure in a pressure canner or pressure cooker for 90 minutes, and let it return to atmospheric pressure naturally. Eat immediately, or discard, any jars that do not seal. Check carefully before using, and discard any that look questionable - discoloration, mold, odor, etc. I recommend a good book on canning, and no shortcuts. Screwing this up can have some very undesirable consequences. I do not know how home canned fish or fowl will keep, mine are always eaten before a year is up.
eroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 19:09   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Salt!! Hang it up and dry it.
How to Salt and Dry Fish | Arctic Dream
Old 14-06-2014, 19:20   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

The OP said: "how could he preserve it in tropical climates, in the boat"

Salting and/or drying won't work in that environment. Too hot and humid.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 19:25   #9

Boat: Able 50

Correct
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 21:32   #10

Boat: C&C Landfall 38, 1979

Salt and sun dry is a time-honored technique in my country (Russia). Works good but may take time in more humid climates. The way we do it is the following: disembowel fish and wash thoroughly. Take a bowl, put some salt in to cover the bottom, lay fish to cover the salt, pack it tight, cover with salt, repeat until the bowl in 3/4 full. Take a smaller lid that would fit INTO the bowl, cover the bowl and put a weight on top (the weight may be quite substantial, depending on the bowl size). Leave for 3-5 days. Take the fish out, DON'T WASH, string it on a fishing line and hang it in a well ventilated place. Cover it from direct sun. Wrap loosely with mesh if there are flies around.
It would be safe to eat for several months. Don't eat if smells rot.

Another method I just read about is pressure canning. One may find a lot on this on youtube. Requires a pressure canner (search amazon.com) and canning jars with lids. Reportedly, the food is good for up to 2 years. Sounds pretty good to me.

Hope this helps.
See ya on the water!
CapnAldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 21:40   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Just Google on Pickled Fish. The first item that comes up sounds like it would taste good.
I have eaten pickled fish and find it quite tasty.

In the high heat, high humidity the OP describes, if pickling is one's only method of preservation, you'll have to pickle it all (except that first meal) right then.

Ann
Old 14-06-2014, 22:06   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

We dried fish. Cut into strips, soaked it in soy sauce then hung on racks in the sun to dry. Kept for more than a year. Ended up throwing it away because we got tired of it so don't know how long it would've kept. Took strong teeth to eat.

Also canned meat that we shot and fish that we caught in Mason Jars and a pressure cooker.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 23:31   #13

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We try to can all of the left over fish, after eating a fresh meal! Been canning tuna, Mahi-Mahi sea bass ect, For years, use mason jars, I've eaten canned fish that was 3 or 4 years old as long as it smells alright I eat it !(of course Connie say's My stomach is made from cast iron lol) It's really easy to can fish even at sea! as long as a gales not blowing !! Adds a little heat in the tropics, but it's worth it to have the extra food so cheap !! We have also canned pork and goat we traded for over the years! a little olive oil and garlic and you ready to go !! Just a thought from cheap cruisers !!
Old 15-06-2014, 01:18   #14
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Try a bit of piracy aaargh. The term buccaneer is apparently derived from the method of preserving meat in the Carribbean, evolved by the pirates who didn't want to frequent populated areas but needed to resupply their ships. A buccan is a frame for smoking meat. I seem to remember some reference to the origin of the word barbecue in all this as well but my brain is fading.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 04:29   #15

...preserving fish in warm environment is not possible, because it's protein.
Even if it 's denatured like Ceviche you can 't preserve it.
The only way is drying and/or salten the fish, Stockfish, Bacalau,

If fish are hot smoked or cooked it might be preserved for few days.
F.e preserving in Oil, but must have 70°C / 158°F core temp. before you can put in a glass.
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish