Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-06-2014, 21:58   #31

Re: Preserve Fish Meat in Hot Climates?

from about.com
"
When the first Spanish explorers arrived in the new world they found the indigenous people of the Caribbean preserving meats in the sun. This is an age old and almost completely universal method. The chief problem with doing this is that the meats spoil and become infested with bugs. To drive the bugs away the natives would built small, smoky fires and place the meat on racks over the fires. The smoke would keep the insects at bay and help in the preserving of the meat.
Tradition tells us that this is the origin of Barbecue, both in process and in name. The natives of the West Indies had a word for this process, "barbacoa". It is generally believed that this is the origin of our modern word Barbecue, though there is some debate on the matter.
The process began to evolve with the migration of Europeans and Africans to the region of the Southern United States. European pigs and cattle were transplanted to the new world and became the primary meat source for the colonies, pork being the meat of choice in the South due to the ability of pigs to thrive with little care. The racks used to dry the meat were replaced with pits and smoke houses.
Now pit cooking is by no means new at this point in history or specific to any particular region of the world. If we define Barbecue as a process of cooking meat (or specifically pork) in pits then the inventors of this process are probably the Polynesians who have been masters of slow, pit cooked pork for thousands of years. So we will have to leave the definition for another time.
The process of slow cooking meat in early colonial times was often reserved for poor cuts of meat left for slaves and low income peoples. Higher quality meats had no need for a process of cooking that would reduce the toughness of the meat. Throughout the south Barbecue has long been an inexpensive food source, though labor intensive. But I am getting ahead of myself.
One thing to remember that without a process of refrigeration, meat had to be either cooked and eaten quickly after slaughter or preserved by either a spicing or smoking process. Traditionally spicing requires that large amounts of salt be used to dry the meat and lower the ability of contaminants to spoil the meat. Smoking in this period of time had much the same effect. The indigenous practitioners of Barbecue, cold smoked meat meaning that the meat was dried by exposure to the sun and preserved by the addition of smoke."

Now I had a friend who claimed to be in Africa when a local villager offered her some meat. First the villager spent some time shaking out the maggots, before cooking & serving it to her. Appearantly, this was a common practice for preparing their meat, which was never refrigerated.

Now if you're on a sailboat, perhaps all flies become a non-issue once you're about a mile from the coast, & therefore maggots are a non-issue. Drying meat in the sun seems very intuitive to me. Something about sunlight just seems like it would bleach it, kill bacteria & help preserve it.

So, it seems the smoke also helps to keep the flies away, but does charcoal really give off so much smoke? Seems more for cooking & who wants a smoked up house when cooking w/ charcoal? Charcoal is supposed to be great for BBQing & smoking meat.

I got some baitfish now in a bucket of salt, sitting outside in the sunlight. I'm hoping the sunlight will help dry the salt out, cause the salt seems to be absorbing moisture either from the fish or from the air. IDK, but it's turning a little slushy. I shake up the bucket every now & then, but what I really wonder is how thin does the meat strip need to be? This is important! I saw a movie about a guy in AK who caught a caribou & tried preserving it, but he cut the strips too wide & it all spoiled on him & he died of starvation. If he knew how thin to cut it, he would have lived. Anyone know?

Old 19-06-2014, 07:03   #32
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

Yes, Caribou meat will not sustain you no matter how it is prepared, there is not enough nutrients in the meat to keep you alive, a couple of people tried that back in the 1970s and nearly died of starvation, from a diet of strictly Caribou meat. Maggots are just protein good stuff, plus they will eat the infected flesh out of a wound, handy little critters. UV does kill bacteria, no wonder sun dried sheets smell so good. The method for smoking we use, is to soak the wood chips prior to putting them on the charcoal fire which shouldn't actually be a fire, just glowing coals, there is a balance between keeping the fire cool enough not to cook the meat, but hot enough to smolder the wet wood chips. Once the smoking process is complete, it is important to keep the smoked product dry, air circulation can help with that, plastic is your enemy at that point. We keep our smoked salmon in brown paper bags.

Old 19-06-2014, 20:35   #33

I forgot to mention: How does one preserve fat? Does simply rendering it, and storing a tub of lard in the shade preserve it? Does rendered fat last longer than unrendered fat? What's the point of rendering it? Why even seperate fat from the meat when preserving? Why not just cover it all in salt? Does salt not preserve fat, or does fat just not spoil quickly? What about other organs & organ meats? I kow for a fact brain is the quickest dang thing to go. What you got to do is split the brain on the horizontal axis only & eat it raw, right away, before it goes bad, & do so in a prayerful attitude & you'll absorb it's memories and live the animals life recall in your dreams the next night. We're talking some seriously wild dreams! Don't ask me how I know. Oh, & you may find only 1 side of the raw brain appetising, that's cause most people's brains are imballanced & the need to eat only the half that they are lacking in, usually the Right-lobe. Bon Apetite.
Old 20-06-2014, 01:22   #34

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: Preserve Fish Meat in Hot Climates?

Well, so much for my 3:00 am snack.
Old 20-06-2014, 03:45   #35

I only tried to smoke fish when I crossed the Pacific and ran out of tobacco. Could not keep them lit.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2014, 05:18   #36
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

it's the temperature and humidity that is the problem. refrigeration is the answer. or else you get it in a can or dehydrated.
Old 20-06-2014, 05:40   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Find it hard to believe anyone would go cruising without a pressure cooker. They have so many uses beyond fuel saving pressure cooking and they are pretty cheap.
National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Can

Pressure cookers and pressure canners are different beasts. It is almost impossible to maintain the correct pressure for long enough to safely can low acid foods (such as fish) using a pressure cooker.

The link provides some useful advice.
Old 20-06-2014, 06:02   #38

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboardL View Post
I forgot to mention: How does one preserve fat? Does simply rendering it, and storing a tub of lard in the shade preserve it? Does rendered fat last longer than unrendered fat?
I have not dried anything on board yet (we're just in the process of becoming full-timers), but I do a lot of drying at home. I know that fat is the thing that won't dry, and will become rancid quickly in meats. When I dry meats I start with the leanest cuts and then try and remove as much fat as possible before the drying process. Even brining first will only slow the process, so removal and rendering sounds like the best plan for fish to me.

BTW, I'm just about finished building a solar dehydrator, based on the design from Sailing the Farm. It's basically a black fabric box with vents and drying racks. Should be a good way to keep the flies away, and to build up some good heat.
Old 20-06-2014, 06:53   #39
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you render the fat, it can be stored longer at room temp. See bacon grease, I've had a can of that on the back of my stove forever and never had it go bad. I do throw it out about once a month, because of the debris becomes too thick.
Old 20-06-2014, 08:09   #40

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: Preserve Fish Meat in Hot Climates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Yes, Caribou meat will not sustain you no matter how it is prepared, there is not enough nutrients in the meat to keep you alive, a couple of people tried that back in the 1970s and nearly died of starvation, from a diet of strictly Caribou meat...
I'm surprised to read this. I vaguely recall reading about folks, homesteaders and miners I guess, trying for a kill at the end of the summer to hold them over the winter. Stuff of books and articles I guess.

Back on topic, my take is you have to "can" fish in the tropics due to the humidity. I haven't tried it or needed to. I rarely catch more than I can eat anyway. I get it's different for you real cruisers with families and friends catching large pelagics. Can't imagine being able to slice a large fish thin enough to dry properly in the rigging as we've all read so many times.

The finger mullet are showing up here now. I may experiment with a castnet on these little (big sardine-sized) fish ... and see if they're dry-out-able and as edible as they are easy to catch. Fact is many people leave pinfish (a generic term for those small, kid-delighting fish that the rest of us don't want to catch) on the dock. They dry out quickly. Ethnic folks keep these by the cooler full. Protein is protein and if you have more time than money, why not?
Old 20-06-2014, 08:23   #41
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You cannot subsist on Caribou alone, even the indigenous population doesn't do it and their systems are adapted for a non standard diet, they don't get scurvy because their systems convert fat into vitamin C and other things. Caribou eat lichen and it does not provide enough stuff to keep you going. Now if you supplement with fish, moose, bear, berries etc... then you will make it through the winter in fine shape.
Old 20-06-2014, 08:35   #42

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post

National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Can

Pressure cookers and pressure canners are different beasts. It is almost impossible to maintain the correct pressure for long enough to safely can low acid foods (such as fish) using a pressure cooker.

The link provides some useful advice.
Great link. I used my pressure cooker to can things a couple times and I just did it at 15 pounds instead of trying to keep it at 11 or 12. I've tried finding information on the Internet on doing this with no luck. do you know of any drawback except maybe slightly over cooking the food?
Old 20-06-2014, 11:39   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Great link. I used my pressure cooker to can things a couple times and I just did it at 15 pounds instead of trying to keep it at 11 or 12. I've tried finding information on the Internet on doing this with no luck. do you know of any drawback except maybe slightly over cooking the food?

I have really no idea, I haven't tried to pressure can anything due to the risks involved when you are unable to maintain the correct pressure for the correct length of time. I would assume that having a higher pressure would maybe spoil the food and nutrients but it would be unlikely (in my opinion) to contribute to the likelihood of food poisoning. If you find anything out I'd be grateful to know about it.
Old 20-06-2014, 12:12   #44

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Ive been canning for 2 years with a pressure cooker. So far, knock on wood, no spoilage. I have not canned fish though. I have canned beef, chicken and vinison. Just dont try dairy or flour products.
Old 20-06-2014, 12:18   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Some of us are afraid of the things, We had one blow up when I was a kid and made one heck of a mess, luckily no one was hurt.
I was a bit concerned about a pressure cooker blowing up but I did some research and found one that is pretty safe. This is the pressure cooker we use, All American Pressure Canner 910 10 Quart.

It is not cheap but my grand kids will be using it along with the cast iron pans. There is a weight that is used to set the pressure on the canner. As long as the tube holding the weight is kept clean, not an issue when canning, and gravity works, there is no way for the pressure cooker to explode.

I figure we would use the the grill on the boat to use can. This would keep the heat and humidity out of the boat.

This site has all sorts of canning information, http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_home.html

Seafood canning is here, http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can5_meat.html

Seafood is a non acid food so it should be canned with a pressure cooker.

Later,
Dan

Tags
fish

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: