Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2016, 18:33   #1

Boat: wanting a cat
Prepper Boat Thread

Just curious if any like minded worldwide sailors would contribute to a Prepper specific Boat thread...

Ideas, equipment, supplies, techniques, information on all things survival to include medicine, self defense, solar, stills, fishing, gardening, etc.

My contribution, water purification, find some Sodium Hypochlorite(Pool Stuff) a few ounces of powder can turn thousands of gallons of water in to bleach. You need to research it but it has great survival potential...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 19:35   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Prepper Boat Thread

http://captaintom.coolblogsite.org/d...s/sailfarm.pdf
Here is my contribution
Old 13-10-2016, 12:07   #3

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I think the whole of cruisersforum is a big prep discussion.

Follow us on tikitreksailing.com
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 12:23   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have wondered why the survival types don't flock towards boats.
I see getting out of Dodge being much more survivable than thinking you can fortify your compound in the mountains and hold off the Zombies.

I can see as how having a well stocked long range cruising vessel might not be a bad idea, some were even considering it during the recent Ebola outbreak.

Nothing that I can think if is as self sufficient as a long range cruising vessel?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 12:45   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Nothing that I can think if is as self sufficient as a long range cruising vessel?
Indeed. Linky
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 12:53   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

By it's very nature, cruising boats are pretty much prepper boats. I could survive in the California delta for years on fish and eatable plants. OK cleaning fish is an issue for me, but I suspect if I got hungry enough, I would not have any issues with it. Plus just boil the water and it's safe enough to drink.

Or head to mexico and beyond.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 12:54   #7

Bugout boat > bugout bag
SDChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 14:50   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Heck no boats are the last thing to use to escape the zombies ( big government) don't want to encourage the prepper masses to go this route we choose to .
Old 14-10-2016, 07:19   #9

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Were new blue water sailors. my boat MUST be in tip top shape by corination day, 2017. It is my observation that our country is slipping, and quickly. I don't like what I see coming in the near future.

I like the idea of having many exit options. My new HR33 is a major part of any potential exit strategy.

I don't worry about zombies, I worry about my jet set neighbors who live on credit cards, travel extensively on money they don't have. And their potential inability to feed their families in the case of a event.

I'm not interested in providing material comfort to,those who lack the vision to plan for the future. Options are always good.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 08:16   #10

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have wondered why the survival types don't flock towards boats.
I see getting out of Dodge being much more survivable than thinking you can fortify your compound in the mountains and hold off the Zombies.

I can see as how having a well stocked long range cruising vessel might not be a bad idea, some were even considering it during the recent Ebola outbreak.

You'll enjoy the series by Colin Drysdale then. Starts with "For Those In Peril On The Sea". Nothing like the Zombie Apocalypse to provide some motivation to get some boat projects done.
Old 14-10-2016, 08:28   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm not really a "prepper" although I remember vividly the Cuban Missile crisis where my home town was very, very much a target due to it having a SAC base here. My Father stocked up on some drugs as he was a Dentist and we had several trash cans full of wheat. Neighbor up the street went so far as having a bomb shelter in their basement.
It took awhile, but even as a kid I figured out the worst scenario was surviving a nuclear catastrophe, not being killed in one.

But it seems there are more than a few that are preparing for the upcoming apocalypse with city escape plans, bug out bags etc., some it seem go all the way to the fortified compound, with Lord only know what all kind of defensive paraphernalia .

Seems to me that a better plan would be a long range boat with plenty of fuel, spares, watermaker and lots of non perishable food on board.

Lets not discuss weaponry as that will kill the thread faster than arguing about anchors
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 08:46   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

So does this mean cruising is going to suck after 2017 as all the cruisers are going to be the paranoid nuts? I'm thinking montana, Wyoming, has room for you all no problems

Please keep off the main cruising routes
Old 14-10-2016, 11:24   #13

Boat: Tartan 40

I'm pretty politically agnostic but wasn't there the same doomsday prediction in Jan 2009? Things still seem okay so not sure we all need to jump off the proverbial ship yet.
But interesting thread and will be fun to see where people draw the line with being prepared (good) and being a prepper (over the top?)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 11:31   #14

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I'm pretty politically agnostic but wasn't there the same doomsday prediction in Jan 2009? Things still seem okay so not sure we all need to jump off the proverbial ship yet.
But interesting thread and will be fun to see where people draw the line with being prepared (good) and being a prepper (over the top?)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Not watching the news has been the greatest life improvement I've found in the last 10 years. Every year it's the end of the world.

I tend to take a prepper's outlook not so much from financial collapse (people lived through the great depression and some even made money), epidemic, or zombies but more from natural disaster. I looked around at my neighbors (those with and without boats) and how ill prepared they were for just being out of power for a few hours/days during Hurricane Matthew. I think what a cruiser would stock up for a longer voyage (ie South Pacific trip or an Atlantic crossing) should be standard fare. Just having the ability to be self sustaining for a month or two would put you head and shoulders above most US citizens ( IMO ).

So I don't think you need to be paranoid/political to be properly prepared to take care of yourself.
Old 14-10-2016, 11:57   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Prepper Boat Thread

Why is it that Americans are so obsessed with this Zombie End of the World crap.. is it all the fried food and Taco's..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote