Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 09:09   #76

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Prepper Boat Thread

Meanwhile in Venezuela, the gov't told their citizens to grow their own food.

Well duh...

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:22   #77

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Sounds like a nice place to be. Isn't Belize the Atlantic side?

while I believe that a nation must have reasonable rules. I don't believe that some animals are better then others animals. " 1984"

that being said, I believe that if one works hard and earns money,,they should enjoy the fruits of their labor. Not,support some lazy individuals who expect a hand out.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 19:04   #78

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Yes, Belize is Atlantic side. Guatemala has a small Atlantic coast too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 16:09   #79

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

IMO, prepping takes a multi layered approach... disasters such as storms, floods, volcanoes, earthquakes, are probably localized and may be of a short (days to weeks) duration. Superbugs, asteroids, polar-shift, space weather would most likely be longer term and pandemic. I consider the boat my best bet in either case and we've discussed rendezvous points.

At least we have propane, solar panels, lights, radio, dry beds and clothing, and non-roadway transportation if needed. I have Mt House freeze dried food that I bought at half price in addition to normal cruising provisions. I'm in serious trouble if the natural water supply is poisoned or irradiated, but do have normal collection and filtering capability, a large and varied first aid kit, handheld radios for our family members, hunting and fishing gear...
Old 05-11-2016, 16:21   #80

Boat: wanting a cat

I think we need to form a prepper boat gang, no colors though, any nation, like minded survivor mentality, start a website, share the collective knowledge, and inspire each other.

Ok, I'm on it, gotta get a boat though...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 16:26   #81

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

OK preppers, heres how I did it: Thread I pulled the trigger!

This is my story, start at the beginning and follow my adventures.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:37   #82
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

I was cruising the Florida Keys when a truck strike broke out and suddenly all the stores sold out just one thing. Toilet paper. Another time, cruising with friends in the Caicos, they warned that we were getting low on TP. Quipped our skipper, "We'll have to go on a cracker diet and use a whisk broom." Moral: be prepared. @survivalfoodhandbook
Old 04-01-2017, 13:48   #83

Hmm this popped up?. Guess I'll post. While I think TP is important, we have literally 500 rolls in our home preps, I'm thinking on a boat the old fashion way will be far more practical."

We have already purchased our boat based freeze dried food, 5 cases. We're hoping that with a reasonable amount of good fishing gear, crab pots, opens up a lot of options.

Our,boat needs stuff,,to make it practical. We don't have a heater, which is critical. And a water maker. Opens up lots of,options.

Dirk
Old 04-01-2017, 14:15   #84

Janet, I've finished your book. Well done.

Dirk
Old 04-01-2017, 15:07   #85

Boat: Spencer 53 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I would suggest iodine in med kit. A few drops in your water to help with radiation.

Definately a ham radio which brings one to need a self sufficient renewable power plant onboard. i.e. solar panels with LifePo4 battery bank.

Thermal and night vision viewing systems. New HD digital radar. And of course a water maker with 3 to 5 years worth of filters.

Fishing nets, lures and spearfishing gear.

Personal protection gear such as hand to hand long blade knifes, rifles, handguns and plenty of amo. Kevlar vests would be worthwhile as well.

Situational awareness a must.

1. Prepare to move quickly from Europe and North America - follow news of heightened tension between known western adversaries such as Russia, Iran, N Korea and China. The need for rapid relocation priot to a first attack is to preserve your electronics from an EMP attack. Have an onboard Faraday cage for a spare handheld ham radio, batteries, and GPS. Also carry and know how to use a sextant. I would aslo have a spare solar MPT controller and 4 LifePO4 spare batteries. All in a faraday cage. All to protect against a surprise EMP first strike. If you are out of EMP shockwave range of Europe and North America these precautions generally will not be required.

2. If in the Northern Hemisphere prepare to relocate bellow to the Southern Hemisphere immediately following a nuclear exchange in the North. Simple reason is Northern Hemisphere winds don't crossover with Southern winds. The bulk of nuclear radiation will circulate in the North. In the case of a full nuclear war there are bases in the southern hemisphere that would likely be attacked. I will refrain from naming them but they total less than 4 so even then atmospheric radiation in the Southern Hemisphere will be enormously less than in the North. This is why you have billionaires owning properties in Southern Argentina, Patagonia.

I'm a little concerned with the latest news over the past 48 hours. Putin has told his population to prepare for a nuclear war. Today his Defense Minister told all citizens to be within 40 minutes of a nuclear shelter. Yesterday Putin called on all Russians living overseas to return to Russia. This follows his earlier call for all Russians studying abroad to return to Russia immediately. All diplomats and staff are flying back to Russia.

Is preparing for a global nuclear war using your boat as your survival pod such a silly idea? We have never had a nuclear war and I pray that we never will.

Just as an aside. After 9/11 when I had offices on Wall Street and kived in NY. I bought a power boat and had it fully fueled at all times. It was my rapid escape vehicle. Anybody remember how all the bridges and tunnels were locked down following 9/11. Intel and DOD were worried about a durty bomb attack on NYC. Last thing I wanted was to be trapped with no way out.

But here I am. Didn't need the power boat but I had a lot of fun with her. Having a global travelling sail boat that is well equiped may never need to be used in a worst case scenario but it will privide a lot of fun.

Let's hope the current world tensions will subside and life goes on as normal

Nice! A thinker
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 15:42   #86

DixieDawg, was your criptic message directed at me? What's the deal?

Dirk
Old 04-01-2017, 15:51   #87

Boat: Spencer 53 Ketch

The Preppers Vessel

This has been an ongoing project since 1995. My qualifications to advise are a 25 year career in Yacht Building and Maintenance, two seaworthy vessels, many miles and unknown dollars and hours of sweat equity later, I can advise the following.

Get the largest Bluewater vessel that you can handle. Ensure that the basics (Hull, Drivetrain and Sailplan) are bulletproof. Stock with redundancy in every critical area. Several types of ground tackle are advised, along with different snubbing options. Para-anchors, mass extra line, backup sails and sail repair gear.

Outfit with four 8D Lifeline AGMs and four 160 Watt Solar panels (Blue Sky Solar Boost Controllers) one Magnum 2500 Watt Inverter. Install a Spectra Ventura 150 Watermaker. Purchase a Sun Oven and stock up on twelve 20lb propane bottles for use with a pressure cooker on your propane stove.

Install a Magma Propane BBQ with appropriate propane connections.
Stock with Seal a Meal packaged grains, legumes, sprouts, bulk vitamin type products preferably powdered variety, natural/homeopathic medicines, canned foods, meats, etc.

Medical Supply Kit, Hiking and Camping Gear.

Water sports equipment overkill. Scuba, Spearfishing, Freediving, Kayaks, SUP, Longboard. All forms of hunting gear for land and sea.

Navigational equipment should include modern and archaic. Obviously GPS, Autopilot, Sounder, VHF, SSB, etc. What could become critical is, sextant, navigational calculator, nautical almanacs, manual speed log, chronograph or good Casio, charts, OPENCPN on Terabyte backup and spare laptop and ICOM R75 receiver in Faraday Cage.

These are just the basics if you are serious about surviving at sea after a cataclysmic world scenario. And these days, it is becoming evident that that is the direction the world is heading.

Have fun!
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 17:31   #88

Watchman had a comprehensive, post, and timed out. Thank you, I've got a lot of your suggestion, not the same brands but a lot of the same stuff. I'd re write out specfics but the site would time out again.

My nave kit is not up,to,speed, if I had to,bingo today, well I wouldn't. Trump brought us time.

I will say my boat is a hallberg RASSY mistral 33.5 not a huge boat, however the boat was a gift, free. And in fantastic shape, except for needing sanding and staining on the top and cockpit.

I've got 30 gallons of fuel, and 40 water.

Perkins 4-108 50 hp motor I just rebuilt. Got 2 one hours bench test runs, and 2 1/2 hour test bench runs. Runs well.

Dirk
Old 04-01-2017, 17:36   #89

I guess all of you preppers will be heading out to sea by the 20th. Not long to go
Old 04-01-2017, 17:39   #90

Boat: 1975 Morgan OI 41 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I guess all of you preppers will be heading out to sea by the 20th. Not long to go
Nah...Trump supposedly bought some time.
However, big O's actions continue to be antagonistic toward the bear....might need to leave prior to the 20th....keep a watchful eye
shotglass is offline   Reply With Quote