Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2016, 08:59   #61
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Prepper Boat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
From Flying Fish to Frying Pan!
But.. Watch the Shoals.!!

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 09:37   #62
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Prepper Boat Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
But.. Watch the Shoals.!!
I get the reference.

I will be careful there.
I have not been past them yet, but expect to in the next few months.
_______
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 13:51   #63

Anyone at all serious about prepping and food, if you have the means I urge you invest in a freeze dryer. They are not cheap,but if you can get other people/family to partner in it's worth it. It's worth it even with no partners.

Just go look at freeze dried food,eBay for instance they mark up the price (even at store bought prices) after drying about 8 to 10 times. All for popping stuff into a machine,hitting a button and then sealing it in mylar bags.
There are simple rice/chicken/chili meals/fruits/veggies and they charge an arm and a leg.

Get an 8 litre electric pressure cooker,takes an hour to make a pot full of whatever,freeze dry and bag that every couple days with a wack of fruits/veggies/chicken/pork chops/ground beef/steaks/ etc and it'll pay for itself in a month.

We've had a large sized full freezer conk out,buying a new freezer plus the cost of the food was about the cost of a freeze dryer. And add on the price of new flooring to replace that ruined by the food and meat juices going out the drain...

Now,we have a small apartment sized freezer for ice cream and stuff we'll use,otherwise everything gets freeze dried and it'll last for 25-30 years instead of getting freezer burned in a few months.

There may be a contract freeze drying company in your city. Or buy one used. oR buy one new,use it for a few months,then sell it.
Harvest Right makes them for the home but I got ours ( a bigger commercial unit) at a bankruptcy auction for $1500.

I'm not associated in any way but their channel has ideas of what you can do:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Q...G9SWEcw/videos
DaveWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 14:14   #64

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Janet, purchased your book for my kindle.
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 14:42   #65

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
No need for nets and lines.. just cruise 25* either side of the Equator.. find fish on deck every morning.. [emoji3]
Yeah, Ive considered trying that supposed traditional sailor's breakfast, but my stomach has never been up to it in the early AM. [emoji6]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 15:27   #66

Boat: Skookum 53'

I can just see a whole flotilla of sailing vessels cruising back and forth across the ocean between 25* north and 25* south clearing their decks of flying fish every morning. I'll keep my fishing gear and enjoy some tuna, mahi mahi, and whatever else bites the hook. I have given thought to putting a watermaker aboard and I sometimes think that the maintenance would be more trouble than it is worth.
Old 29-10-2016, 15:52   #67

Maintenance isn't much normally, but can be a pain periodically. But, sure does free you from the burden of the quest for water. Especially when in remote places....like offshore waiting out the Zombie Apocalypse. [emoji6]
Old 29-10-2016, 15:58   #68

Boat: Skookum 53'

Thanks, that is the only thing that makes me come ashore periodically, if I can't catch enough rain.
Old 29-10-2016, 16:50   #69

Quote:
Why is it that Americans are so obsessed with this Zombie End of the World crap.. is it all the fried food and Taco's..
Good point. I dont know any non-USA preppers, etc.

Any body?
Old 29-10-2016, 17:44   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Good point. I dont know any non-USA preppers, etc.
Perhaps the great 1968 documentary "Night of the Living Dead" by George Romero is not available elsewhere?
Brob2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 17:45   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
IRe: Prepper Boat Thread

I know non USA preppers. Both Canadians and some in Europe, even Oz and NZ. There is a site about resource depletion and the topic comes up. Not a lot of us there, and not all are of the prepper mind set. Things have changed in the last few years. Mused to be guys were buying guns and ammo and talking about lines of fire, etc. not much of that any more. Most have sort of settled on a changed life style, or not.

But it's surely not just an USA thing.

There was some stupid TV show about preppers. These guys were pretty aghast at how the movement was portrayed.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 19:47   #72

I see your points. after all, things are going so well in the EU, and south and central America. Anybody counting on any govt, to feed you or protect you, is insane.

Prepping is nothing more then following our forefathers way of life. We like it. Here, we don't have to go to a store for likely a minimum of 24 months. We do go cuz we like fresh veggies.

We also jabe Heirloom. Seed vaults like 20 of them, for crops seasonally. And herb vaults for indoor growing. We purchase gold and silver.often, buy low, sell high. And we believe that if you physically don't have your money in your possession, you don't own it. Keep a lot of booze and trading stuff.

My tribe would be very comfortable for many years, God forbid an unfortunate event should happen. I pray not.

Just a little different life philosophy. Seems very much like all you independent self reliant long distance sailors.

DW
Old 02-11-2016, 07:12   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
I see your points. after all, things are going so well in the EU, and south and central America. Anybody counting on any govt, to feed you or protect you, is insane.

Prepping is nothing more then following our forefathers way of life. We like it. Here, we don't have to go to a store for likely a minimum of 24 months. We do go cuz we like fresh veggies.

We also jabe Heirloom. Seed vaults like 20 of them, for crops seasonally. And herb vaults for indoor growing. We purchase gold and silver.often, buy low, sell high. And we believe that if you physically don't have your money in your possession, you don't own it. Keep a lot of booze and trading stuff.

My tribe would be very comfortable for many years, God forbid an unfortunate event should happen. I pray not.

Just a little different life philosophy. Seems very much like all you independent self reliant long distance sailors.

DW
Actually, things are going quite well in parts of Central and South America, Panama is booming for example, but I still would not assume any govt would cover my butt.

Our place in Guatemala is in a small (about 200 people) rural village, accessible by water only, which receives no govt services of any kind (no police, no fire, no nada). The Guatemalan and USA Govts could collapse and it would make no difference at all.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:25   #74

Belize sailor, I'm sure their are still wonderful places in this world. I'm not quit to the entirely jaded phase yet. Sound like you are in an awesome place. I'm envious.

I've set my motor in boat and boat supplied date of Jan 20 2017, regardless of, who's the president.

Regarding the prepping, I live in a community where most are prepared to,go,without services and road closures for lengthy periods of time. Here 5 cords of wood stacked and ready is the norm.

Shelves full of food and access to alt water are common. Ain't no thing here.

Best to you,down their in Belize.

DW
Old 02-11-2016, 09:05   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
Belize sailor, I'm sure their are still wonderful places in this world. I'm not quit to the entirely jaded phase yet. Sound like you are in an awesome place. I'm envious.

I've set my motor in boat and boat supplied date of Jan 20 2017, regardless of, who's the president.

Regarding the prepping, I live in a community where most are prepared to,go,without services and road closures for lengthy periods of time. Here 5 cords of wood stacked and ready is the norm.

Shelves full of food and access to alt water are common. Ain't no thing here.

Best to you,down their in Belize.

DW
Im no prepper, but my place in Guate is also off grid (solar, 2 gensets, 2 wells) on a lake that flows to the ocean (readily available seafood in both). Wide variety of fruits on the property, chickens, etc...would be a good place to ride out the rest of the world coming to a screeching halt...if not for Internet access we would never know. [emoji41]

The boat is in Panama in case we need a Plan B. 😉