Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2016, 09:04   #31

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI
Re: Prepper Boat Thread

Pointless, nothing you can do, sites ran by Felons, nation security is not the publics business, I'm truly amused.

Many options on the table, pick one, pick none, your call.

All of us are responsible for this Defcon III. We own it, we, not those in DC are the solution.

When my great grandmother passed 30 years ago, I inherited my great great grandfathers tool boxes. He was a craftsman, and I got all his hand tools. I'm honored, and feel blessed to have been gifted with such wonderful tools that work first time every time.

Good day.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 09:25   #32

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Dirk, you may be interested in the felon's smart phone app. It gives the current DEFCON level updated every ten minutes. I'll post a link if you wish.

National security is everyone's business.

The nation's defense readiness status as indicated by DEFCON is not a matter of public record.
Old 15-10-2016, 09:46   #33

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Thanks for the offer to set a link. I don't have a smart phone, " don't want the NSA tracking me" just kidding. Sir, I meant no disrespect, to you or my new associates.

We all see the world threw different eyes. I respect each opinion here. I just don't agree, no worries.

I am curios, which site has a felon at the helm, sorry!.

Due diligence, im a very very conservative, opinionated person. I spend the first hour of every day reading roughly 30 different sites, trying to achieve an informed status.

Many of those sites are out OCONUS, I find those looking into the fishbowl we call the US, have a much different view, and are frankly much more reliable about putting the info out their without trying to sway our views.

Drudge, Zero Hedge, Breitbart, Mc Clatchy, are not completely agenda free, but I find those easier to interpret, and adding the info received from the other sites, find it easier FOR ME to connect the dots for a clear view of what's happening.

I have found that if you follow the money, the real truth eventually bubbles to the top.

Since retirement6 years ago, I find myself demanding the truth, not some slip shod agenda driven hit piece. I do not consider the top twenty news networks to be trustworthy at all.

Which is sad, their was a time when we all had three channels and those trusted news casters were the checks and balances between truth and the fiction we receive today.

It is not my intent to offend any of you. I simply seek the truth, so that I may make informed choices, regarding content and condition of our great nation.

Respectfully,
Dirk Willams
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 09:55   #34

Has anyone ever thought about trying to drag a fishing net behind a sail boat?
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 09:58   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
Has anyone ever thought about trying to drag a fishing net behind a sail boat?
Doesn't really seem like a good idea to me. To easily tangled when tacking and sailboat decks aren't really setup for handling nets . I find it much better to drag a couple yoyos for fresh food.
Old 15-10-2016, 10:11   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post

Since retirement6 years ago, I find myself demanding the truth, not some slip shod agenda driven hit piece. I do not consider the top twenty news networks to be trustworthy at all.

Which is sad, their was a time when we all had three channels and those trusted news casters were the checks and balances between truth and the fiction we receive today.

Respectfully,
Dirk Willams
Do you think those trusted news casters were giving us the truth? Or were we under the misguided thinking they were giving us the truth because there was nobody to refute them?
Im personally disgusted at the lengths the media goes to craft peoples opinions of what is taking place. I wasn't born yesterday. I remember what took place in the past, I know who certain people are, so when I see news organizations creating a false reality which I know isn't true it really pisses me off. And when I see people buying into this false narrative I realize how it is a lost cause.
But I think that is the way it has always been. We've never been told the truth.
Those trusted news casters were never trustworthy, we just didn't know it.
Old 15-10-2016, 10:17   #37

Boat: 1973 26 Essex

I'm in 👍
nobananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 10:26   #38

Hey Dirk, no offence taken here.

I've been a prepper since long before the term was coined. Unfortunately the definition of a survivalist varies as much or more than what a real cruiser might be. So I don't say much about either.

Everyone has beliefs largely based on there own personal experiences. Which is why I'm comfortable in my statement about DEFCON and the public record.

It was a few months back when the website I mentioned caused a Twitter storm about defcon. I don't recall which site and can't prove he's a felon so probably should not have included that.

There are several places to find out defcon status. They are all guessing. But it is presented as accurate so anyone who may be inclined to take it as such, like the OP, can do so.

To the subject of this thread. I think in "3's". Three hours, three days, three weeks, three months, three years; and what would it take to provide, security, food, clothing, and shelter for each time period totally self sufficiently.

Even as purely a thought experiment one can determine the increasing complexity and major changes in living habits that would occur as one attempts to achieve each increased time period.

I'm solidly in the three week catagory.
Old 15-10-2016, 10:29   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Doesn't really seem like a good idea to me. To easily tangled when tacking and sailboat decks aren't really setup for handling nets . I find it much better to drag a couple yoyos for fresh food.
I thought a sailboat would be kinda small for a large net. But I wonder if a smaller net would be feasible. But would a net small enough to be manageable on a S/V even be big enough to catch anything?
What about a collapsable crab pot or lobster cage?

Im very interested in self sufficiency at sea. I believe if I were able to harvest fresh seafood from the ocean reliably the amount of provisioning one would need to do could be cut down tremendously. I have already figured out that the things we eat regularly would be very easy to store long term and take up very little space aboard a boat. The real question is reliably harvesting seafood on a somewhat regular basis..
Old 15-10-2016, 10:43   #40

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Are folks using NMEA-0183 XDR sentences for their geiger counter output or is anyone using Signal K?
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 10:44   #41

llsquid, shrimping with a small net behind a sailboat or small powerboat is done by many.

May depend on location, but in Alabama sheltered waters it is common during season. And another good reason to get out on the water for the day, then back on land for a shrimp boil party. Good times.
Old 15-10-2016, 11:28   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttnik View Post
Are folks using NMEA-0183 XDR sentences for their geiger counter output or is anyone using Signal K?
Actually myself I use a monthly read of my DT526
Old 15-10-2016, 12:12   #43

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Actually myself I use a monthly read of my DT526
Monthly? For navigation purposes you want that stuff on your OpenCPN dashboard. It's reasonable to assume that come the zombie apocalypse not all reactors are going to fail safe so does one stick closer to Dungeness to the North or Penly and Paulel to the south? Home-brew boat electronics seems to be particularly popular in the Scandinavian and northern european countries and come the ZA, they're the ones who'll be running the nuclear gauntlet down channel...
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 12:34   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's just to keep track of my lifetime exposure for Navy purposes I just use a hand compass and my mark1 eyeball unit.
Old 15-10-2016, 12:52   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
llsquid, shrimping with a small net behind a sailboat or small powerboat is done by many.

May depend on location, but in Alabama sheltered waters it is common during season. And another good reason to get out on the water for the day, then back on land for a shrimp boil party. Good times.
That sounds like a good idea.