Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2006, 18:28   #31

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sorry guys can't join in the fun b/c I don't have any ex wife. Wife had a practice husband though. He got washed out.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2006, 19:32   #32
Kai Nui

Have to say third times the charm. I guess we did a heck of a job hi-jacking this thread
Old 20-09-2006, 04:32   #33
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Whoops. Sorry about that. My mind tends to drift over the line sometimes.
Old 20-09-2006, 23:03   #34
Kai Nui

It is hard to remember you were comparing patterns when the dishes are flying past your head
Old 21-09-2006, 03:14   #35
One of Those

Yep. All those times as a kid, I asked myself "Why did God make girls so that they couldnt throw overhand worth a dang?"

Later in life I found out, he was just trying to save my life.
Old 26-09-2006, 11:29   #36

Location: West Coast of Mexico in the winter and the mountains of Arizona in the Summer
Boat: Hunter 42, Summer Wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Ok:
I've been to Kaymapart (KMart), Target, and Ikea. I didn't find anything good for Plates bowls and cups do you guys have any recomendationson where to look. I want something that won't easily break and that will last a few years.
WallMart . . . I use Corelle Ware and it's great . . . doesn't break, doesn't stain, and doesn't make you feel like your camping! Just bought another 4 piece set so we have enough to entertain! The set includes, dinner plate, salad plate, bowl and ceremic cup. Used the first set for a whole season and no breakage!
Hunter42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 06:39   #37

Boat: Endeavour 37 Ketch "Capella"
IMHO I agree with everything posted so fa'.

Except Ref: Coffee cups. Specifically "cups". What you really need are coffee mugs. The Corelle set in the Target link shows a set of cups with the base smaller in diameter than the top. An invitation to tip over.

OK! OK! Go ahead and get the set. But replace the cups as you cruise with souvenir mugs from the various ports and harbors you visit. Try to get get the heavy diner or "navy" style ... you know the kind: they weigh half a pound and have half inch thick walls. We have a collection that goes back years.

It's always good for a trip down memory lane to drag out a new mug every morning: Black Dog Tavern on Martha's Vineyard, Tobaccoville, North Carolina ("Tobaccoville??!! Oh, yeah. I remember when we anchored and ...").

It's fun.

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur." - Anything said in Latin sounds profound
KaptainKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 07:41   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Go ahead and get the set. But replace the cups as you cruise with souvenir mugs from the various ports and harbors you visit.
Personally I use a ceramic beer stein. It holds 4 cups of coffee. I've cut back to one cup of coffeee in the morning - so I make it a big one. A mug should hold one can of soup to be considered big enough. They make a perfect bowl with a handle and the coffee stays hotter longer.

The liitle cups are fine for tea with little sandwiches. We like to entertain on the boat too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 09:34   #39
One of Those

The wide base coffee mugs are great. The ones where the bottom is about twice as wide as the mouth. They dont fall over easily. Glue a circular patch of rubber on the bottom and they dont slide, either.
Old 27-09-2006, 16:39   #40

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I like the pseudo-vacuum mugs. They may not be as efficient as a proper thermos, but they do certainly keep your drink hot (or cold) longer than a conventional mug. When coming on watch at 4am, you want that mug of coffee to stay hot as long as possible!

I use cheap plastic ones, but I'm gonna get some nice stainless steel ones someday. I have a board with circular holes cut into it that fits on the sink top. No spilling boiling water about the place when making a brew in a seaway for me!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 18:53   #41
Moderator Emeritus

I've been drinking coffee a long time and in the morning at a quiet anchorage it's worth all the money you spend boating to drink one in a good cup that is hot!
Old 22-01-2007, 07:35   #42

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
As liveaboards, we use our dishes everyday wherever we happen to be. We used Corelle daily on our 12-year circumnavigation and none of it broke. We are still using the same set. Corelle stacks compactly and is light-weight. I replaced the cups with double-walled thermal stainless steel cups from a camping store. No burned hands with hot liquids. No condensation with cold liquids. I agree that plates are for calm days at anchor. We eat out of deep (Melamine) Chinese bowls (6"/15cm diameter) on rambunctious days at sea. The deep bowls are easy to hold on to and the food always stays inside where it belongs. These bowls are also used as small mixing bowls or serving bowls when we are not eating out of them.

Donna
EXIT ONLY

maxingout.com
positivegraphics.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 07:50   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Donna,

We used our Corelle for the last three years and the only trouble was losing them at raft ups. You have to try really hard to break them. The Chinese bowls I have used for 30 years mountaineering and are the best solution for all types of bad weather and they hold a lot and it stays hot. One pot meals are sometimes the only hot food you can come up with quickly. Always a great cheap item to have. I also used soft plastic before too and they insulate well.

For the latest boat we decided to try another option to the Corelle. We got Lenox fine china in select seconds on sale. If you live near an outlet mall they have a sale after to Xmas where the prices drop to 75% off everything in the whole store and then when applied to select seconds the actual price is about like Corelle on sale at Walmart. We have a dish cupboard on the new boat that has compartments for the dishes so they are in a pretty secure setup as far as bouncing around. There isn't any reason to eat on paper plates and plastic forks.
Old 16-06-2008, 21:41   #44

Location: New Zealand originally, but now Malaysia & Thailand
Boat: Kendall 32, Daemon
OK, call us uncouth, but our dinner set consists of stainless steel plates, soup/dessert bowls, salad/pasta bowls and double-skinned mugs. I can't stand the feel of plastic and don't want the fragility of stoneware/china, so these work well, if you don't mind the slight institutional feel!
Cheers,
Jill
Old 28-06-2008, 10:19   #45

Boat: Cabalier 40ft Long Range Cruiser
dishes cups

Dont laugh but if you can find a dollar general (dollar store) they sell melamac dishes for low cost they are in various colors and just as good as any marine store, they also sell bowls (plastic ) cups plastic and they are cheap and wear really well.. for 4bowls was $1
the dishes were $1 dollar each or $4 for 4

I do have good dishes like corelle, but they are too big for my cubboard and i found these dishes were right size shapes and again cheaper
I also found pots pans baking and cookie dishes there too
along with very nice sponges with scrbby things on them and they are a good source of cleaning supplys and very low cost toilet paper

I mentioned the pots and pans as i bought expensive nested galley ware, what a waste, after 1 yr normal wear its a mess, peeling teflon ect
i bought a pan at the dollar store the same time its like new cost less and works better to conduct heat//

Kathleen
s/v Legacy
looking for a slip in oriental ask me about mine its for sale

I me
hasuehounds is offline   Reply With Quote