Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 03:53   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: pewter plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I keep champagne glasses wrapped in bubble wrap and stored in plastic pasta containers. Only four are needed 99% of the time, so these are stored for easy access wedged in on a bookshelf. Padded like this they will survive just about anything and can be thrown in any convenient cupboard.

PS sorry for the thread drift
I think it's probably thread expansion, rather than thread drift

Clever idea.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:12   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Pewter Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
Cleaning out cupboards and closets, etc. with what we will use on the boat in mind. Came across pewter plates -- not breakable, that is a good thing, but thought the salt water might ruin them?

Good or bad on a boat?

thank you.

Cheryl
Pewter plates have a long sea-going tradition and apparently lasted quite well in 17th century - I suspect they will last just as well 21st century.
See Voyages of Grand Discovery - About the Exhibition
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:34   #18

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Corelle brand for me as well. It's thin and light, but tough.

Makes a hell of a noise bouncing around the galley and into the sink when I forget to stow properly before a day sail. Though nothing has broken yet.

Definitely don't like the taste of plastic-ware.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:55   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
I keep champagne glasses wrapped in bubble wrap and stored in plastic pasta containers.
PS sorry for the thread drift
Great photo. But you should really chuck Fatal Storm overboard before the next passage. It may just be psychological.....

LOL

Is this a thread drift?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:11   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Great photo. But you should really chuck Fatal Storm overboard before the next passage. It may just be psychological.....

LOL
Is this a thread drift?
Mark
I should have cropped the photo. Didn't know my reading material was going to be scrutinised LOL.

Thank goodness the books further along the shelf weren't visible .

PS Pity we missed getting together in Finikounda/Methoni a couple of years back. Those glasses would have been pulled put then

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:54   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

We have a couple of pewter serving dished aboard. They are great for serving snacks at sundowners, on our boat or others. Can't break'em, very distinctively ours for reclaiming at the end of pot lucks.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 15:20   #22
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
These two responses really illustrate the difference between considering a boat a plaything or a home .

It is home for us, and I set in my ways too, so I'm with Janice on this one .

The pleasure in eating is not just in the taste and texture and smell. Our vision and sense of touch contribute lots too. So "pick something to eat off that will bring you pleasure".

Bone china and crystal are generally much tougher than poor quality items. We have had only the rare breakage on board in five plus years of full time cruising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

..........Mark
Quote:
I should have cropped the photo. Didn't know my reading material was going to be scrutinised LOL......
Mark, if you look very carefully, there is a champagne glass in SW's first photo
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 15:37   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I would be less worried about the corrosive effect of saltwater on pewter plates, and more concerned about the kinetics of airborne pewter plates landing on teak. Or toes.
Old 15-02-2013, 13:25   #24
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

I'm also keen on Corelle because it goes in the oven and microwave. Plastics stain and some don't do well in the microwave. Porcelainized metalware is OK until you bang a spoon on the side and some of the glazing chips off and ends up heaven-knows-where.
Old 15-02-2013, 13:42   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

pewter is great--nice soft metal with a very high lead content...awesome stuff--do have your blood tested for heavy metals occasionally, if you use it often. i used to have a wonderful heirloom pewter set ....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 13:55   #26

Boat: Joubert Koala 24
They make/use pewter outside the 3rd world? Learned something today.

Corelle is good stuff, tough and light.

Stainless steel is light and indestructible and if i want it on my knee i use it inside a polycarbonate plate (yes, 2 layers) to insulate it.

Plastic is hydrophyllic....or phobic... I forget which one... But it is the opposite to metal/glass/corelle/ceramic - makes fat stick to plastic where it is repelled from many other things.

Try running hot water alone over a greasy glass/ceramic/stainless plate... It will come clean. Plastic will still have a grease film.
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 15:38   #27

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Some very old pewters had small amounts of lead, and some very cheap pewter today can have lead as well, but proper pewter for dinner wares and drinking vessels are lead free and generally made up of tin, copper, and antimony, and sometimes bismuth. Pewter containing lead has a bluish tinge when polished and tarnishes faster than lead free pewter. It is always best to know the origins of the piece if you intend to use it for eating or drinking.
Old 15-02-2013, 16:12   #28

Boat: Ohlson 38

It seems to me that pewter would make some awful noise, even as it dulled your fine knifeware and left metal filings in your steak.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 16:54   #29

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

I would stay away from "classic pewter" as it contains about 20% lead, and the other 80% is tin and impurities. "Corelle china" is a better alternative. The alloy formed between lead and tin is readily attacked by sea water. (Pewter used to be the "china" in prisons; not made anymore because of its high lead content.) Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 18:20   #30
YOG

Boat: Bristol 40

Melamine! Mine mimics china splendidly.

If you have a Chinatown or Asian shops near you, try them. Both the Japanese and Chinese produce beautiful and varied melamine serving dishes & tableware, often for restaurant use. We are really happy with ours.
YOG is offline   Reply With Quote