Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 06:04   #1

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Origo alcohol stoves

I really like my Origo 3000 ... so much so, that I brought it home for winter and have been cooking/experimenting with it.

I like the simplicity above all else, along with the fact that it's a more than capable stove.

BUT!

I hate trying to refill those hugemongous canisters that seem to only work up to when their about 1/2 full. It seems the alcohol "at the bottom", just doesn't wick up well enough.

When my flame goes down, I get the canister out and it's still much heavier than the other "empty" canister.

The other thing I don't care much about is that the Origi stove seems to be about two-times bigger and at least 2-times thicker, than I'd like.

I'd like to find a 1-burner with about half the height ... but can't find anything as such.

I'd also like to resolve the problem with taking a 1-gallon of denatured alcohol and trying to get it into a canister without getting it everywhere else in the process .... those %$&^*$# cans.

I'm wondering if I can re-distribute the alcohol, from the large gallon cans into 16oz(or so), empty eye-contact saline solution bottles(they seem to be fairly heavy-duty, tight and with a tight fitting cap), which would mean I could actually refill the stove with the canister in the unit, with the top tilted back.

I'd like to hear any ideas that could make this Origo stove easier to work with and and ideas of a smaller(height-wise too), replacement.

Even a hanging stove ... or a fully gimballed stove, although all of these that I've seen are propane, which I generally don't like.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:33   #2

Re: Origo alcohol stoves

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
I really like my Origo 3000 ... so much so, that I brought it home for winter and have been cooking/experimenting with it.

I like the simplicity above all else, along with the fact that it's a more than capable stove.

BUT!

I hate trying to refill those hugemongous canisters that seem to only work up to when their about 1/2 full. It seems the alcohol "at the bottom", just doesn't wick up well enough.

When my flame goes down, I get the canister out and it's still much heavier than the other "empty" canister.

The other thing I don't care much about is that the Origi stove seems to be about two-times bigger and at least 2-times thicker, than I'd like.

I'd like to find a 1-burner with about half the height ... but can't find anything as such.

I'd also like to resolve the problem with taking a 1-gallon of denatured alcohol and trying to get it into a canister without getting it everywhere else in the process .... those %$&^*$# cans.

I'm wondering if I can re-distribute the alcohol, from the large gallon cans into 16oz(or so), empty eye-contact saline solution bottles(they seem to be fairly heavy-duty, tight and with a tight fitting cap), which would mean I could actually refill the stove with the canister in the unit, with the top tilted back.

I'd like to hear any ideas that could make this Origo stove easier to work with and and ideas of a smaller(height-wise too), replacement.

Even a hanging stove ... or a fully gimballed stove, although all of these that I've seen are propane, which I generally don't like.
You have the solution. I buy 5 gallon quanities of denatured alcohol because the cost per gallon is typically lower purchased this way. I then transfer the alcohol into 1 litre (about 1 qt) plastic bottles that originally contained juice, filling them only half way. Even when under way this makes filling a canister without spilling the alcohol a cinch. Canister capacity is about the same as the half filled bottle. The containers are of good quality and not affected by the alcohol in any way. It's possible that you're fuel is not being fully consumed due low quality or contaminants that were introduced at some point.

Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:16   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

I think putting poisonous liquids in a container labeled for food or eye wash is a very bad idea.

When I had an alcohol stove I used to buy gallon cans and pour it into empty quart cans that were sold containing stove alcohol. No chance of confusion there.

I'll bet you can find "fuel" containers on e-bay for your alcohol fuel. You will know they are safe for fuel and nobody will accidentally take a drink out of them.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I think putting poisonous liquids in a container labeled for food or eye wash is a very bad idea.

When I had an alcohol stove I used to buy gallon cans and pour it into empty quart cans that were sold containing stove alcohol. No chance of confusion there.

I'll bet you can find "fuel" containers on e-bay for your alcohol fuel. You will know they are safe for fuel and nobody will accidentally take a drink out of them.
Where did anyone suggest putting denatured alcohol in a container labeled for food or eye wash? If you can't remember the plastic bottles that originally contained fruit juice now contain denatured alcohol, then remove the label and affix a new one that says "denatured alcohol".

In any case, the denatured alcohol is stored in a cabinet separate from everything else. And since I am alone on the boat, I'd have to be daft to drink any of it. If you have others on the boat who may 'drink' from the container lock it up.

Anybody who even begins to drink this stuff is going to gag if they didn't at first notice the smell. You'd have to be resigned to 'checking out' in order to ingest enough to cause serious harm or death.

Anyway, your thoughtful comment is appreciated and worthy of consideration. I just don't think in this context buying special containers is necessary.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
origo