Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2014, 11:39   #1

Boat: One-off Baron von Hoevell, 29ft steel classic
Origo 3000 - How to gimbal?

Hi there,

I have a Origo 3000 two-pit burner on the boat, but it is not gimbaled and has no potholders. The search for potholders is on, but I'm still contemplating on wether to make it gimbaled or not and mostly how to do it.

Are there kits for this? Are there sturdy/easy DIY ways to do this?

How do y'all go about it?
Orchidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 20:20   #2

Boat: Catalina 387
Re: Origo 3000 - How to gimbal?

On my boat there is a set of drawers below the origo. The entire cabinet gimbals. It's pretty near useless. But that may be Catalina's implementation not the idea.

But i do have the pot holders. They help alot. We can use the stove in typical so cal conditions. In rough stuff no way.

I doubt there is any foff the shelf solution. You'll need to make something.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 20:28   #3

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Origo Stove Gimbals

Origo Potholder

I use both of these products. They work fine. They seem expensive for what you get.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 20:34   #4

Boat: Catalina 387

Well, color me wrong. Still looks like not enough mass under the gimbals. But that most definitely an off the shelf solution.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 20:40   #5

Here are a couple of shots of my installation with the factory gimbals. They are clever in that you can use the stove "up" in the gimbaled position (pic #1) or "down" in the stationary position (pic #2)

Note that it is necessary to have some sort of vertical support to attach the stationary portion of the gimbal. In my case, this is provided by the "cut out" in the counter top.

Steve

Old 23-09-2015, 15:26   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Beautiful boat, Panope. Thank you for posting those pics. I have been debating whether to go to the drop in or the gimbaled stove. Think I'll go with the gimbaled. I didn't know there was also a stationary position for it, but it looks like a nice set up.
Old 23-09-2015, 16:49   #7

Thanks Becky,

Now that I have a couple seasons of use with the new galley set-up, I can say that the option of having the stove in the stationary "down" position is really great. My use of the boat is all coastal gunkholeing so there as been virtually no need to have the stove in the gimbaled position.

The tea kettle lives 100% of the time on a burner in the pot holders. The pot holders have held the kettle securely during 45+ degree knockdowns even when the stove was in fixed position (of course the burner was off).

It is really nice when cooking to be able to stir and add ingredients (pinching crabs) without having the hole apparatus swinging back and forth.

Steve
Old 23-09-2015, 17:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Thanks Becky,

Now that I have a couple seasons of use with the new galley set-up, I can say that the option of having the stove in the stationary "down" position is really great. My use of the boat is all coastal gunkholeing so there as been virtually no need to have the stove in the gimbaled position.

The tea kettle lives 100% of the time on a burner in the pot holders. The pot holders have held the kettle securely during 45+ degree knockdowns even when the stove was in fixed position (of course the burner was off).

It is really nice when cooking to be able to stir and add ingredients (pinching crabs) without having the hole apparatus swinging back and forth.

Steve
The majority of our cruising will be coastal as well. Would you say that I would do just as well with the drop in? From a space perspective, and asthetically as well, the drop in appeals to me more. I was just afraid I might regret not having a gimbaled option for those rare occasions when we might go offshore for a short passage.
Old 23-09-2015, 18:06   #9

Conventional wisdom would say "it's a sailboat, of course it must be able to gimbal".

However, I could make a strong argument for going with that drop-in Origo for a coastal boat. It does make for a much tidier, easier to clean galley. For the two or three times I have used my gimbals to heat food or drink, I could have just as easily grabbed something cold.

Another consideration is re-sale of the boat. Lots of potential buyers will want the ability to cook at sea (even though most will never do it).

Tough call but I will vote for the Origo "convertible" gimbals.

Steve
Old 24-09-2015, 08:33   #10

Quote:
Conventional wisdom would say "it's a sailboat, of course it must be able to gimbal".

However, I could make a strong argument for going with that drop-in Origo for a coastal boat. It does make for a much tidier, easier to clean galley. For the two or three times I have used my gimbals to heat food or drink, I could have just as easily grabbed something cold.

Another consideration is re-sale of the boat. Lots of potential buyers will want the ability to cook at sea (even though most will never do it).

Steve
You make some good points and I will definitely have to mull it over a little more before I place my order, which I had hoped to do this week. Among the things to consider though resale value, while I don't discount it entirely, isn't the highest up on our priority list. This is OUR boat and the first priority is for it to be what WE need and want. We are planning to live aboard this boat and use it for as long as we have the health and strength to do so and hopefully by the time we sell it we will have gotten our money out of it in enjoyment, adventure, and a place that we have been happy to live. Whatever we make off of it in the resale market will be gravy.
Old 24-09-2015, 13:16   #11

Becky, I can totally relate to not giving a hoot about re-sale. I just finnished making literally hundreds of decisions/changes on Panope and re-sale was a consideration for not a single item. My dad and I built the boat (the first time) 40 years ago, and with any luck I might get to enjoy it for another 40 years.

Relevant to your situation: 40 years ago, my father chose to outfit Panope for a planned world cruise. Many decisions were made based on what would be best/safest on the open ocean. Lots of these "appropriate for ocean" decisions were rather inappropriate for coastal use.

Life, sometimes has a way of messing with dreams and the planned world cruise was shortened to a one year trip to Mexico. The only open ocean part of the trip was from Neah Bay to San Francisco. So my father got to use the boat "in its element" for a total of 6 or 7 days. The other 18 years of use were a compromise.

Knowing exactly how you will use your boat in the future is information of infinite value.

Steve

Steve
Old 26-09-2015, 21:03   #12

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:

Steve
That's an astute observation about the expectations of potential buyers in the future. I vote for the "convertible" gimbals also.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 22:09   #13

I looked at the gimbals, and finally decided they weren't worth the cost. I just use pans with high sides.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Kestle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
origo