Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2016, 10:48   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Number one way for Preserving eggs.

IIRC our US egg policies are largely based on preventing salmonella from spreading. Most of our chickens apparently either are infected, or may be infected, and washing the eggs is done to reduce the spread from that. The USDA tries pretty hard to reduce food-born illnesses.

There are a number of 19th and early 20th century cookbooks hidden as PDF files in some online libraries. They'll tell you how to preserve eggs, use a coal stove, butcher a hog...all the useful things that modern cookbooks assume you won't be doing.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 11:16   #32

From the articles I posted earlier in this thread it is the initial difference in inoculation approach between US and UK/EU. In US it is not a requirement to have egg laying hens inoculated (although supposedly 30% of producers do it anyway) thus the requirement for a wash before retail packaging. In Europe/UK inoculation is a must thus, supposedly, no need to worry about the salmonella.

In their camping department Walmart has plastic yellow 12 egg storage cases with foam inside. I found them to be indispensable for storing eggs on the boat during trips. They're only $3 each I believe, a good investment. I keep two on board and use them for trips, etc.

Anyone knows if the silica packets one finds with electronics are OK to be put into those eggs storage boxes to retard/prevent moisture build up?
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 11:47   #33

Boat: islandpacket

Powdered eggs in a can. I use it all the time.
Old 24-04-2016, 11:55   #34
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

AFAIK the silica packets are all "food grade", just be sure not to confuse them with the oxygen absorbers, which are one-shot and cannot be reused.

A dozen eggs bought in a Styrofoam tray may not be the same durability as the WalMart version, but the tray is washable, and free.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 12:28   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainsil View Post
I believe the US Navy submarine service's eggs are coated in wax to last the length of patrol.

On fast attack subs, there isn't enough room to store fresh eggs for very long. We might get real eggs for a couple of weeks at most, then we end up with powdered eggs. Same with milk, they put a sign on the milk dispenser to let us know when it's real milk vs plastic milk. Our deployments are 6 months long, the cooks order a min. of 90 days of stores, they typically stock up 120 days of stores, which is piled up in berthing and most passageways.

Boomers (SSBNs) are 200 ft longer and much larger, they load their stores with pallets and pallet jacks, they might have the room to store a lot of eggs, and their patrols are much shorter.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 12:37   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
AFAIK the silica packets are all "food grade", just be sure not to confuse them with the oxygen absorbers, which are one-shot and cannot be reused.

A dozen eggs bought in a Styrofoam tray may not be the same durability as the WalMart version, but the tray is washable, and free.(G)
True that but I try to avoid disposable styrofoam stuff as much as possible, especially on a boat. Also at places we visit anytime we do beach side drift wood BBQs we use cardboard incl. egg containers as fire starters. Less goes to the landfill and keeps the environment happy.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 13:43   #37

Boat: Seawolf 30

just drop the eggs in a pot of water if they float high in the pot that indicates that they are releasing gas fro m decomposing and going bad. if they are mostly submerged they are still good to eat.
antilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 15:16   #38

Boat: Newport 30 MK 2 - 30'

I read that someone coated their eggs in paraffin and put them in the bilge, hopefully a clean one like mine. They lasted several months as I remember.
When we eat eggs, we usually have 2 or 3 each and there are two, so a dozen eggs would be gone in three days. Hum, I suspect buying more would pay off. Right now, we just cruise short distances getting to know what to do.
wostenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 15:47   #39

I must be getting old, I remember my Grandparents storing eggs in lime water,and that was when their chooks went off the lay. We always had soldiers for breakfast!!
Barney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 17:13   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I seem to remember that Sir Francis Chichester dipped his eggs in liquid paraffin, but now that I think about it, he might have been referring to lamp oil and not wax. As a kid, I learned so much from his book about his circumnavigation.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 18:02   #41

Boat: Northshore 33 ft sloop

I sail in the tropics without refrigeration.
Buy fresh eggs , coat them with vascoline to keep out the oxygen and rotate the cartons every few days to stop the yokes from settling on the bottom of the egg.
mawtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 19:02   #42

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

The Vaseline trick works. Eggs last months in tropical climates.
On horse pack trips we'd break the eggs into a plastic jug/ bottle. As long as the jug was full the yokes would not break. This way they took up less room and would not break. You can pour them out, one at a time.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 20:11   #43

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

do the float test. put the eggs in water if they sink it's ok if it floats don't eat it...
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 18:56   #44

Boat: Privilege P43

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
On fast attack subs, there isn't enough room to store fresh eggs for very long. We might get real eggs for a couple of weeks at most, then we end up with powdered eggs. Same with milk, they put a sign on the milk dispenser to let us know when it's real milk vs plastic milk. Our deployments are 6 months long, the cooks order a min. of 90 days of stores, they typically stock up 120 days of stores, which is piled up in berthing and most passageways.

Boomers (SSBNs) are 200 ft longer and much larger, they load their stores with pallets and pallet jacks, they might have the room to store a lot of eggs, and their patrols are much shorter.
598 and 608 boats weren't much larger than their SSN peers. During the 60s and 70s, we would also seal them in large plastic bags and purge the oxygen with LP nitrogen. Wardroom stewards would squirrel them away and most were still edible even after 2 months on the boomers and 6 on fast attacks.

These days, we just break them out of the shell and fill empty orange juice containers and refrigerate them. This worked really well when we went to Cuba in the late 90s (where/when you're weren't allowed to import eggs).
emcmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 19:53   #45

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisersfarm View Post
If you want eggs to last 2 years, you are in the "survival" range of food storage and should be buying your eggs dehydrated:

Powdered Whole Eggs | Dried Eggs | honeyville.com
We also use dehydrated eggs in addition to fresh eggs. The only thing we need fresh eggs for is breakfast scramble or sandwich. Everything else we make uses the powdered eggs and in some recipes (like french toast) it tastes much better. One medium size jar of dehydrated eggs lasts us 6 months or so when used in this way.

We don't really have trouble finding eggs.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote