Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 16:05   #1

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Nu Wave Oven or Omnia Experience

I'd like to hear about your experience with the Nu Wave Oven and/or an Omnia stove top oven.
Old 11-12-2012, 16:28   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Check the Boatgalley.com. Great reviews.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 16:38   #3

Re: Nu Wave Oven or Omnia Experience

NuWave Oven Review | New $50 Off Discount Code

http://www.trailtesters.co.uk/reviews/cookware/omnia/

These look pretty good for a boat... especialy a smaller one....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 16:50   #4

Boat: Newport 30 MK III

We have an Omnia that we picked up in Denmark last summer. It works pretty well on the Origo 2-burner stove that we picked up at the same time. The only problem that we've seen so far is the the Omnia has a large hole in the center that is larger than the flame size of the Origo stove. The Omnia would work better on a stove that has a 'ring of fire' instead of the single central flame of the Origo. We solved the problem by using a stamped stainless steel flame spreader. It widens the flame and evens out the heating action by allowing some of the heat to travel up and around the outside of the cooking ring. We've cooked 'pop and serve' biscuits, beer bread and a Bisquik recipe called 'Impossible Cheeseburger Pie'. There is no thermostat or thermometer, so it's all trial and error until you get the time and flame setting just right.
guyfromiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 17:06   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

My wife is a very reluctant boater due to having very fair skin, which quickly burns.
You can imagine my surprise, when having used the Nu-Wave at the house, she commented that we should get one for the boat.

YES PLEASE
Old 11-12-2012, 18:15   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

I love my Omnia and have written several posts on my blog about it. The main one is here and you can see photos of a lot of the stuff I've baked here.

You can bake almost anything in the Omnia that you can in a conventional oven -- okay, no whole turkey -- and in about the same time. The biggest thing I like about it is that unlike trying to "bake" in a pressure cooker or Dutch oven, food actually bakes and doesn't just steam since there are vent holes in the lid for the moisture that's driven off to escape. Breads and cake have the same texture as normal, although the top doesn't really brown (make whole wheat bread or chocolate cake and you won't notice a difference).

I don't have any experience with the NuWave, so can't talk about the differences.

The Boat Galley - making your boat life better with a weekly newsletter, free and low-cost courses, handy references and document organizers
The Boat Galley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:15   #7

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

is the treated-steel base plate stainless steel? if not how does it hold in the marine environment?

also I cant find where to buy in the US?
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:54   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

On the Omnia, it's regular steel that has some type of coating on it. I've had mine for a little over a year and I'm not seeing any rust or wearing away of the coating. I've talked to people who have been using one for 20 years on their boat and they didn't mention a problem with rust.

You can get it on Amazon (as I write this, they're out of stock) or directly from the US distributor, Lunatec Gear (I contacted them and they've got a few left -- new shipment will arrive early January with lots more).

The Boat Galley - making your boat life better with a weekly newsletter, free and low-cost courses, handy references and document organizers
Old 12-12-2012, 10:57   #9

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boat Galley View Post
On the Omnia, it's regular steel that has some type of coating on it. I've had mine for a little over a year and I'm not seeing any rust or wearing away of the coating. I've talked to people who have been using one for 20 years on their boat and they didn't mention a problem with rust.

You can get it on Amazon (as I write this, they're out of stock) or directly from the US distributor, Lunatec Gear (I contacted them and they've got a few left -- new shipment will arrive early January with lots more).
thank you! just ordered from the dist.
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:01   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quick update -- I just got an email from Lunatec saying that they're getting more in on December 18 and will accept backorders for those once they run out of the few they have right now.

FYI -- I have no financial interest in Lunatec or Omnia, just love their product.

Tags
oven