Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2008, 13:54   #1

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
non-slip lipped edge dinner plates

i've been looking for some non-slip lipped-edge dinner plates (or very shallow wide bowls might an equivalent description) without any luck. preferably unbreakable (or nearly!)

any suggestions appreciated
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 14:01   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
If you're looking for something to eat out of in heavy weather go to the pet store and get a big dog bowl.
Old 24-11-2008, 14:42   #3

Again, assuming need is for rough seas -

Here one can buy stainless steel pet bowls in various sizes which have a rubber non slip ring around the bottom so when pooch is snuffling in it the bowl doesn't skid across the floor .

Empty 2 litre icecream containers of the low rectangular kind do ok but are not non skid. Have the advantage that it is a pleasant job emptying the icecream from them in the first place though .

We prefer to just use normal china flat plates of a type with a bit of a dish in them on table mats cut out of the "sticky" non slip material one can buy for the purpose (don't know its proper name). These work for much of the time but if get to the stage where plates have to be held or heeling would let food run off a flat plate we just use dessert plates. We have never had a problem with breakages - that probably because we carry spares .

In the end one can just eat out of the pots .
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 18:39   #4

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
We have them...next time Im at the boat I will see if there is a brand name on them and I'll let you know one way or the other.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 20:22   #5

Boat: Spindrift (Starwind) 19, Catalina 22, Hobie 14, AMF Puffer 12
Making sailing dishes...

This is from Don Casey's "100 fast & easy boat improvements"... LOTS of good ideas in this book, I keep one on the boat!!!!

Latitude42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 20:28   #6

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
great idea - thanks
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 21:05   #7

Boat: Spindrift (Starwind) 19, Catalina 22, Hobie 14, AMF Puffer 12
Dishes help...

I deleted the photo on my last post...didn't know I did a no no...
anyway, put a small bead of silicone on the bottom of the dish you want to use as boatwear... then place the dish on a piece of wax paper on a flat surface... wait for the silicone to cure. When you remove the wax paper you have no-slip dishes & they dont rattle in the dish holders either.
There are drawings of this and MANY other ideas for sailboats in the book "100 Fast & Esy Boat Improvements" by Don Casey.... a good book to keep on the boat!!!
Larry C
Latitude42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:31   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
We have always used place mats made of a material often sold as shelf liners and comes on a roll. The same vendor precuts them is shapes as placements too. When you set a dish on it it won't move. It means anything you put on the table can remain in place as far as sliding about.

You can also use it to stack dishes so they don't rattle. Using this approach you can carry any type of dishes you like. We carry fine china we got from the Lenox outlet store in January. When you take the 80% discount on top of "select seconds" it is as inexpensive and anything else you might buy. Eating aboard is a good thing to make as special as possible. So far we our breakage includes no dishes but two crystal wine glasses. That is not as bad as our track record on shore. It's not that hard to pack well.

I suppose eating from dog bowls is practical and that is what we use for our dog. He gets upset if you try and eat out of his bowl. It's not worth the hassle.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:16   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Fine china is great, but when you are punching your way to weather, or even rolling along with the trades, a plate with a nice lip to it really works well. Under way we mostly eat from bowls or even shallow tupperware containers, but there are nicer options. That dog food bowl looks pretty good to me!

I completely agree on the rolls of shelf liner. This is the stuff that looks like a rubber-covered net. We use it for non-skid under just about everything, and for padding on everything else. In our "wine cellar" I have wrapped the bottles with this material (or sometimes with sweat-socks), and wedge it between items that are rattling and keeping us awake.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:22   #10

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsadler View Post
i've been looking for some non-slip lipped-edge dinner plates (or very shallow wide bowls might an equivalent description) without any luck. preferably unbreakable (or nearly!)
There is a line of plates marketed to sailors that have an embedded silicon ring on the bottom. I remember seeing it in one of the sailing mags a year or two back. The same company also had some rings that you could attached to wine glass bases which I was little less impress with.

Sad to say, I don't remember which one mag it's in but I'll try to dig it up.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:24   #11

The silicone ring done on wax paper works great. I still have a couple of bowls in the house here that came off the boat 7 years ago and the silicone is still there!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:37   #12

Boat: islandpacket
I went to wal-mart and bought the Corelle pie baking plates. Not as deep as a bowl but higher sides than a dinner plate. About $3 each.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:57   #13

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Sad to say, I don't remember which one mag it's in but I'll try to dig it up.
No luck, but I came across these melamine plates with rubber feet.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 14:04   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I completely agree on the rolls of shelf liner. This is the stuff that looks like a rubber-covered net.
Some if the best stuff to transfer from home to boat going. It does not seem to grow mold easy and it just never seems to run out of uses. Light weight and does not absorb moisture. It's worth using to line all sheves and drawers. You could line the inside of a locker to keep things from slamming against the sides too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 13:48   #15

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I have a website for them ...can PM me.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
non slip