Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2019, 18:56   #1

Non pressurized alcohol stoves besides Origo??

Our new-to-us Gulfstar Hirsch 45 is coming to us with the original Galley Maid pressurized alcohol stove. To be fair, I haven't tried to mess with it at all, but between the age of the unit and the terrible reputation of pressurized alcohol stoves, I wasn't even considering keeping it. My plan was to swap in a new Origo 6000 non pressurized alcohol stove, but I've just learned that they've discontinued the whole brand. So now my options are to do a complete refit for propane (I'd rather have propane, but I don't really want to hassle/spend for it), find a used Origo somewhere (I'm not seeing any for sale), or find another non-pressurized alcohol stove alternative (I'm not finding ANY commercially available alternatives.)

Was Origo really the ONLY option for non pressurized stoves with ovens? Am I doomed to figure out a propane system?
Psychsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 19:24   #2

Boat: Sceptre 36
Re: Non pressurized alcohol stoves besides Origo??

We had a non pressure alcohol stove. Would make a pot of coffee in the morning in just under and hour. Go propane.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 20:10   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I don't know of any other non-pressurized alcohols offhand but the Origos work great IMO. It really is a shame they have been discontinued. They are so simple, relatively safe and at least for me, plenty fast enough. I have the 3000, not the oven so I can't speak to that, but I have nothing but good things to say about the 3000. Yes it takes a little longer, but I am often doing or prepping other things anyway, so I don't notice it. With an Omnia oven, for my little boat, the whole system works great. They may show up on eBay or something, but yeah, it's probably a better bet to spend the big bucks and switch to a propane system. Pressurized alcohol is a big fire hazard IMO.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:06   #4

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

I am not aware of other non pressurised alcohol stoves with ovens. I do love my Origo stove though. Easy, safe, brings a pot of coffee to percolate in about 10 minutes (I have timed it).

We use a 14 inch cast iron dutch oven on top of the Origo stove as an oven. Works pretty well, depending on what exactly you are baking.
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:40   #5

Boat: Bristol 32

We love our little Origo, as well. We don't have the oven, either. If you have a substantial electrical system, you might consider going that route.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:55   #6

Boat: Watkins 29

I like the Origo but hate the smell of the burned alcohol. Most times, I cook with a two burner butane canister camp stove that has wind guards around it, protecting the galley backsplash and plastic sliding doors.

It gets hotter, faster and I can fold it up and stow it after we are done cooking. I keep 2 or 3 extra butane canisters on the boat in a ventilated cockpit locker.

The stoves are inexpensive throw aways... the last a year or two than get replaced.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:11   #7

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Coleman, the camping and outdoors gear maker, still makes liquid-fuel camping stoves, but I don't know if they can use alcohol. https://www.coleman.com/dual-fuel-po...toves#start=12

Of course, you would have to figure out a way to secure this where you needed it, and possibly gimbal it, but it should be doable.

Personally, I would bite the bullet and upgrade to propane but that's just my opinion.

Tom
Tom_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:26   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Search, also, for a used
Seaward ‘Princess’ Alcohol (Two-burner drop-in #2423) ➥ https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downl...n_60072716.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:33   #9

Boat: Rawson 30PH

I went through a similar decision ... ended up Diesel, Wallas (heating too, as a side benefit).

A little slow in the morning for boiling water (15-20 minutes for coffee :-(. However, normal cooking of food is quite fast with the appropriate pots and pans (convection type/ Magma stacking).

No explosive items in the boat .... except the small canisters for a cockpit barbecue, kept in an isolated foredeck locker.
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:57   #10

Boat: Riva 48

Origo alcohol stoves are fantastic. The only problem, at least in CA is that it is impossible to find denatured alcohol anymore and some brands have the unpleasant smell. I believe the best fuel for those stoves is proper 190 proof ethyl alcohol such as Everclear without any additives. Burns hot and clean. I am even thinking about making the trip to Oregon to stock up. It is really sad that denatured alcohol was banned. It defies logic.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:02   #11

I had an Origo alcohol/electric single burner on an old boat several years ago. I agree it is SLOW. I had an issue where I closed the 'sterno' style damper, but it had a slight gap between the damper and the top of the fuel canister.

Rather than tamping out the flame, the damper redirected it and the flame, now shooting around the damper caught the electrical components (wire sheathing) on fire. At first I smelled what smelled like an elctrical fire, until I entered the cabin to 1 foot flames coming out of the stove.

I grabbed a glass of water and started dousing the flame (assuming the flame was alcohol). It was alcohol and plastic, but it did extinguish.

I've since gone to Butane stoves. Significantly better.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:32   #12

Boat: Hunter 46

Suggest a portable butane stove for ~$20. Butane canisters are readily available from camping supply stores.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:46   #13

Boat: Rawson 30PH

High proof Everclear is great, many uses.

Banned in California due to too many sailors going blind after drinking ;-)
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:50   #14

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Kenyon still makes non pressurized alcohol and electric combo stoves. Defender Marine has them.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:57   #15

I bought a new Origo stove just this year. Bought gimbals from Defender. Yes, its discontinued, but virtually fool-proof and safe. Gimbals are important, especially when making hot liquids like coffee/tea on a rocking boat. Also safe and no pre-heating - it just lights. Pretty indestructible. I have an Origo heatpal since 1972 that works like a charm and is a great little heater for one room. Also works as an emergency cooking source. If buying stove alcohol is a problem, go propane. There are stove top stoves for Origo (Omnia). How often do you bake on board is the issue. If rare, use an althernative stove top oven.
bollard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
origo, stove