Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-10-2007, 08:16   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Of course, now that I think about it, there is an outfit here in the States that makes a gas powered blender. That could be a lot of fun!

Old 21-11-2007, 07:51   #92
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
I have a Sea Frost compressor driven holding plate combined with a 12V Sea Frost back up freezer. I know,

I AM NOT WORTHY!!!!!!
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:29   #93

I was checking to see if anyone had tried these green bags for keeping produce. They are marketed as Debbie Myers green bags here in Canada. I just ordered some, I'll let you know what I think. Just a purchase tip: buy them online, do not call in the order - you have to listen to too many come-ons for crap you did not call about on the phone. It's all automated so you can't ask them to stop.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:16   #94
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Don't know about Debbie Meyers and her mgic green coloring, but there are veggie bags that have small perforations in them--so the natural moisture they give off can escape, along with their natural ethylene gas. Ethylene gas from one ripening fruit will set off everything else in the bag--which is why paper or vented bags keep them better.

Then there are bags with a magic powder (white volcanic dust of some kind) in them. That also apparently neutralizes/absorbs the ethylene gas, those bags are typically said to be good for a dozen uses before the powder is washed off or used up.

Magic bags? No, real science. Whether you want to invest in it and bother with it, depends on the difference it will make for you.
Old 11-12-2007, 19:04   #95

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJones View Post
I was checking to see if anyone had tried these green bags for keeping produce. They are marketed as Debbie Myers green bags here in Canada. I just ordered some, I'll let you know what I think. Just a purchase tip: buy them online, do not call in the order - you have to listen to too many come-ons for crap you did not call about on the phone. It's all automated so you can't ask them to stop.
We used those bags for a long time. They do work.

I didn't read every post in the thread so I hope that I'm not being repatitious here.

The 2nd post (1st reply) was very good.

Make sure any eggs that you buy have never been refrigerated. Once they have been refrigerated they will not last long. Un-refrigerated eggs will last for 2 months. After 30 days, put them in a glass of water before using. If they float disgard them (they have started to gas from bacterial growth). If they sink, they are fine.

If you use ice, be sure that the water doesn't go in the bilge. It has a lot of bacteria in it and it will go wild once it gets in your warm bilge and it will stink like crazy. Make yourself a drain container that you can dump overboard.

Lots of good info on here. Man survived without refrigeration for a long time. It is expensive to install, fuel and upkeep. You can cut the cost of cruising by not using refrigeration. However, if you can afford and don't mind the occasional annoyance, it sure is nice to have.
Old 11-12-2007, 19:32   #96

Course you could always 'buddy boat' with a guy with good refrigeration and happy hour over in his cockpit

Seriously, ....it is amazing how little you actually need to keep yourself alive when cruising..and with a little self discipline,.it is easy to deprive ones self of practically all of the little pleasures including fine dining, that technology has afforded...BUT,
to what purpose?

Refrigeration is relatively easy, can take up as little space as you like, and is really not as big an expense or deal as some 'purists' like to endlessly proclaim. It's like camping. Hell some people really get off on hiking all over the mountains, sleeping on the ground in a sack, and eating hand pulled wild berries ..."wheeeee" , hold me back. I like driving up the mountains in a jeep, setting up a reasonably warm and dry tent, and toasting the deity on the end of yet another wondrous day spent doing something other than lying in the ground feeding worms.

As the man said, whatever floats your boat.

seer
Old 11-12-2007, 20:00   #97

As per usual, this was a very educational and fun thread - I read every post. Does anyone have any specific cook books they find helpful, or is all your knowledge stored in your brain cells alone?
Old 11-12-2007, 20:14   #98

Search Lin and Larry Pardey- Care and Feeding of Crew or something like that.
Lin can make a feast out of turnip

seer
Old 12-12-2007, 17:48   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeratlas View Post
Search Lin and Larry Pardey- Care and Feeding of Crew or something like that.
Lin can make a feast out of turnip

seer
If I remember correctly it is "Care and feeding of offshore crew".
Old 12-12-2007, 18:04   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeratlas View Post
Course you could always 'buddy boat' with a guy with good refrigeration and happy hour over in his cockpit

Seriously, ....it is amazing how little you actually need to keep yourself alive when cruising..and with a little self discipline,.it is easy to deprive ones self of practically all of the little pleasures including fine dining, that technology has afforded...BUT,
to what purpose?

Refrigeration is relatively easy, can take up as little space as you like, and is really not as big an expense or deal as some 'purists' like to endlessly proclaim. It's like camping. Hell some people really get off on hiking all over the mountains, sleeping on the ground in a sack, and eating hand pulled wild berries ..."wheeeee" , hold me back. I like driving up the mountains in a jeep, setting up a reasonably warm and dry tent, and toasting the deity on the end of yet another wondrous day spent doing something other than lying in the ground feeding worms.

As the man said, whatever floats your boat.

seer
For some, it may be the difference between being able to go or not to go. With others, it may be a matter of how long they can stay out on a limited amount of resourses.

It's sorta like the age old question, "How much does it cost per month to go cruising?" Every single mechanical item on your boat will add a certain amount to that figure. In my experience, refrigeration is one of the most costly things to maintain on a cruising yacht.

I built my own refrigeration system. I used a 2nd hand Honda Accord AC compressor and everything else was new, including the 2 BIG HD cold plates. It cost me about $1500 to build my own system. In 10 years, I had to replace the electric clutch on the compressor twice, the sea-water cooled heat exchanger twice, the expansion valve once and I had to carry my own freon and associated tools, including a vaccuum pump and gage set. I made $ by reparing a lot of other people's fridges so I know that I wasn't the only one that had fridge issues. Stories abound of cruisers giving away meat in anchorages because the fridge went capute.

Don't kid yourself, over-time, fridges are not cheap. If you can afford them (and I could because I worked on other people's), they sure are nice though.
Old 13-12-2007, 08:57   #101

Boat: Southerly UK 37ft
you can freez your beer and put into a box , then put into your empty fridge, then put nearby a large volum of ice. it will hold for 3 days or more!

there are 12v ice-boxs on the market - arround $170.- they cool down to 4 Celzius. they are small , but potable.
Old 09-01-2008, 18:29   #102

One thing you DON'T need to stock up on before going cruising through the Carib and Central America is RICE. On my nince month single-handed cruise from Fort Lauderdale to the Rio Dulce and back many years ago, I transported several pounds of rice all the way there and back. And I LIKE rice, too. You can add dried beens to that don't need to stock list.
Old 10-01-2008, 17:58   #103

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time
Propane refrigerator, version 2

I realize this is not the version of the propane system most people talk about but I felt this might be a place to add a little known fact. Propane is an excellent refrigerant. I have used propane as a refrigerant instead of r12 for years in cars. It's actually too cold and you freeze the coils and have to turn it off every once in a while to melt the ice that has formed. It's illegal here in the states because people are worried about flamability. In a car this is absolutely crazy in my book, they are worried about one pound of propane in a sealed system when they have a 140 pound tank of gasoline in a rather flimsy container they don't worry about. Almost all refineries use propane in their air conditioning systems. It's even got R numbers so you can design a system using it. R-290.

I tend to get by without refrigeration on my boat but the last two have had it, I haven't used it yet, still haven't really started my big trip though. If I ever need to replace the refrigerant in my system I'm going to use propane, it's cheaper and much less damaging to the environment if it leaks. The operating pressures might need slight adjusting but probably not, it's very close to R-12 and R-22 which is used in many freezers and AC units. It's just a little colder at the same pressures.

I just wish the regulating people the is the US would pull their head out and realize that freon which is terrible for the environment could be replaced with propane instead of using very high dollar new stuff that is ozone friendly. It normally requires less pounds of propane to fill the system then freon also. They also skim over the fact that many common refrigerants are also flammable.

also see Homemade Refrigeration System With Propane Refrigerant.

http://employment.alberta.ca/documen...-PUB_ch058.pdf
Old 10-01-2008, 18:55   #104

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time
This forum is a great source of information, I have used the dried hamburger and many of the other tricks for years backpacking. I'll have to look for the dried whole milk, I've used the non fat stuff and store it in old plastic peanut butter bottles. I have hundreds of those on the boat with stuff in them. The main thing with milk powder is use it. The bad name (and taste) many people have of this stuff, is the memory of using some that mom had kept in the cupboard for years that was old and oxidized. Fresh it's pretty good or maybe an acquired taste, not bad at least. Concerning the mayo, I also have kept it and used it for quite a long time without refrigeration but have lost a few containers of it. Just try real hard to not contaminate it, I normally shake it out of the container instead of dip something into it. The squeeze bottles work well but sometimes can't be found. I also discovered that Sams (Walmart's discount place) carries boxes of the little packets you get at the fast food places. That's my latest solution.

I carry an electric tortilla press on my boat and use it. I've been going to convert it to 12v instead of inverted 120 AC. I anchor out all the time, I can count the times my boat has been to the dock on my fingers and just use one hand. I also have cooked many meals on the woodstove in the boat and a pressure cooker is a great thing to have on board. I've got a bread machine, haven't started experimenting with it but at home I made 100% sourdough at least every week. I intend to continue that. Anybody got an centuries old starter to pass on? The bread machine has to be modified to allow extended and variable rise time for it, but it sure tastes great and no extra yeast is needed. A simple switch to turn off the baking element is sufficient modification if it has a bake only cycle, or you could bake in the normal oven, just use the machine to make the dough.

The reason ice melts faster sitting in water is because the better heat transfer water has over air. Air insulates the ice. If you have a can of beer next to a cold block of ice it won't be as cold as if it is in contact with the ice with water between them. Water also carries the cold to the walls of the cooler and keeps them colder and then transfers more cold out thru the insulation. It's all a trade off, do you want 32 degree beer or is 40 OK. In my book 40 for three more days would be just fine. If you insulate the ice block (with air) the insides of the cooler might be warmer and the ice will last longer and probably that is just fine. Actually warm beer is fine in my book, or whatever temp is coolest (bilge, water, etc.) I have never had ice on the boat, but would welcome a machine that would make 4 ice cubes a day. I'm thinking about it.... An ice cube with the powdered cereal milk is real good in the morning and a cool drink in the evening watching the sundown would be divine.

Concerning the boxed wine bags, I'm storing up a bunch of those, and carrying them with me empty. I've got friends that drink a lot of wine and I clean them and dry them. I figure if I have to ditch in the ocean and have time, I can fill them with fresh water from the boat tanks and then carry them alongside the life raft floating in some sort of bag made from netting, tarp or sail bag. Hopefully making survival on the raft much easier. I have the RO hand pump but everything I can do maximize success and survival I do.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:52   #105
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

jheld-
I suspect the ban on propane and other explosive refrigerants in cars is because car AC systems will always leak, and they are surrounded by spark ignition systems which often create stray high voltage sparks. The combination isn't a good one when you multiply it by 300? million vehicles, many poorly maintained.
I say car AC systems will always leak, because the rotary compressors all rely on a graphite-on-stainless sealing ring and that part has a known and limited service life--then it breaks down and vents refrigerant, even if the rest of the system hasn't had any problems. Considering the risks, and that non-explosive refrigerant gasses are available, I don't think the ban on it is so unreasonable.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: