Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-04-2017, 06:14   #46

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Newbie.. where to refill water tanks when on mooring/anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapThrill View Post
Is tying up the fuel dock really an issue in some places? I haven't been to a ton of fuel docks, but the only time I was at one that was remotely busy was in Miami Beach... On New Year's Day... And even then, no one was waiting for us to move. But I imagine it can be an issue at times.
It is an issue if you're the guy circling around waiting while somebody takes on free water. And it's an issue for a marina owner if you decide to go someplace else because the fuel dock is tied up with boats taking on free water. And remember, this water isn't "free" to the marina. They must pay for it.

And I have had to wait in line for fuel several times.

Think of it like this: You go into a restaurant and order a meal. If you ask, they will bring you free water. Would you have the balls to go into a restaurant, sit down at a table and ask for free water without ordering something that you will be paying for?

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 06:33   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

We have made some experiments joining H with O onboard but found good supply of 2 is required. We tried to generate 2 on our iPhones but all we got were 0 and 1, so this is a blind alley.

b.

Old 20-04-2017, 06:43   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It is an issue if you're the guy circling around waiting while somebody takes on free water. And it's an issue for a marina owner if you decide to go someplace else because the fuel dock is tied up with boats taking on free water. And remember, this water isn't "free" to the marina. They must pay for it.

And I have had to wait in line for fuel several times.

Think of it like this: You go into a restaurant and order a meal. If you ask, they will bring you free water. Would you have the balls to go into a restaurant, sit down at a table and ask for free water without ordering something that you will be paying for?
I get being annoyed at waiting for some one taking on free water. I was more asking if busy fuel docks are a common issue, I just haven't been at a fuel dock where there were ever boats lined up waiting for access. But like I said in my original post, I don't have a ton of experience at fuel docks.
Old 20-04-2017, 06:55   #49

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter

Yes fuel dock space is precious and waiting in line with wind and current, traffic can get a little nervy- especially if someone is dawdling or chatting too long with the attendant, etc.
Old 20-04-2017, 15:23   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am very sorry if you feel annoyed waiting while someone takes on water.

Very often the fuel dock is the water dock all at once.

Very often water is NOT free and you buy it at this dock, just like fuel.

So there is nothing to get annoyed about.

It used to be sailing was a gentlemen's sport. Gentlemen do not hurry, do we?

b.
Old 20-04-2017, 16:14   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate

Quote:
It used to be sailing was a gentlemen's sport. Gentlemen do not hurry, do we?
Unfortunately there is a long history of "gentlemen" feeling that they were superior to other, non-"gentlemen", and becoming upset if such low life types inconvenienced them in any way.

Fore-lock tugging and all that...

Jim
Old 20-04-2017, 18:52   #52
mcm

Wait till 2018, come to Canada and offer the dock hands mary jane smokes, all will be legal.

I am afraid that too many have experienced the lack of gentlemanly manners the sailing community exhibits when it comes to getting "free stuff" seems they seem to think they are the entitled crowd because they don't pollute, discharge overboard sewage, use precious electricity or that terrible fossil fuel stuff.
Old 21-04-2017, 07:12   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Someone said the next World War will be over water supplies. That guy was right ;-)

But in my book everybody has the right to use the dock. Here in Europe it is only places like Palma de Majorca and other such posh rubbish where the water guy can get scorned by the fuel guy. Elsewhere, one simply waits for the dock space and then you do your thing, water, fuel or air and then you make space for the next guy.

Actually, where we are (Las Palmas) if you tried to tell someone taking on water (free here) that they are 'using the valuable dock space to get something 'free' while others wait to spend their oh so important money on their oh so costly fuel' then well next time you could get asked to stay in Texas and do your shooting at home.

This may have something to do with how reality is owned. Here, some of the dock space is public, we paid for building it, we have the right to use it. I am aware in countries where everything is private, life can be a bit more difficult to live.

So it all varies from place to place. Civilisation is not spread evenly.

I never heard a bad word from anybody here nor in Martinique or Guadeloupe. Maybe in Antigua or Puerto Rico it is a different story.

I did ask to hear the names of the places where we are not welcome at the fuel dock but there was no response.

So, where is it that you are not supposed to take 'just water' at the fuel dock?

b.
Old 21-04-2017, 08:38   #54

Boat: Custom Steel 43 ft

I didn't mind paying for water on some islands in the Bahamas, after all they run small desalination plants etc, but was quite offended when Careel Bay Marina in Pittwater Australia metred their tap water at the 5c/litre.

Will certain not be stopping at and/or buying anything from Careel Bay Marina in Pittwater ever again. That's Sydney for you, I suppose. Don't stop there unless you have very deep pockets.

We usually fill out water tanks when we buy fuel or use 5 gallon jerry cans to cart tap water to the boat. We also have about 20 1/2 gallon plastic bottles we fill for drinking.

We talk about buying a water maker, but it never seems to make it to the top of the priority list. Have big water tanks now that never seem to let us down.

Tags
anchor, mooring, tanks, water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: