Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2010, 06:43   #1

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
New Ideas for Feeding a Hungry Crew

I'm running out of inspiration, I'm making a provisioning list and looking for some ideas for novel breakfasts. Aside from the British standard of a cereal and perhaps bacon and egg with beans, with toast and marmalade, I'm floundering. Good coffee is a given. Storage is not a problem and we have a decent enough amount of freezer space.

What's your favourite cruising breakfast?

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 07:26   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Crumble some Triscuits into a bowl and top with a couple of soft-boiled eggs.
Simple and delicious.
Old 15-04-2010, 07:36   #3

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Huevos rancheros - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 07:37   #4

Boat: 48' Hi Star
I like a light breakfast -- toast with jam or a bowl of cereal. The captain likes a heartier breakfast, so what we often do is take whatever is left over from the previous night's dinner, mix it up with a couple of eggs and make an omlette.

Just curious -- since milk goes with cereal, are you planning to have milk aboard? I'm thinking of getting lots of powdered milk, but I'm not sure what brand. Any suggestions? I've always been a milk drinker. It keeps my bones nice and strong!
Old 15-04-2010, 07:45   #5

Boat: Allied Princess 36' Ketch
Sailorgal - powdered milk is great on weight/volume, but sometimes you just need the real deal - and for that, boxed UHT milk (or, in my case, soy/rice beverage) is just the ticket. Its true milk, UltraHighTemperature pasteurized, and sealed in those tetra-pak boxes. Keeps nearly indefinitely as long as the integrity of the box isn't compromised. Vastly better than cans.

As for breakfasts, I'm a big fan of fruit-based breakfasts, so yogurt + granola + fruit, or just plain granola + fruit, can be eaten with or without milk, add various things such as jams. Another favorite is sliced bananas in orange juice or any similar variation (kiwi in pineapple juice, peaches, etc...) - sugar, some complex carbs, potassium, etc.
svaletheia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 07:46   #6

Boat: Allied Princess 36' Ketch
Oh I forgot, you can get boxed fruit juices that keep for a year or so as well. Don't need refrigeration (same for UHT milk, I forgot to add that's one of the huge advantages) until opened.
svaletheia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 11:45   #7

Corned beef hash (tinned corned beef) add pre boiled or baked potato, corn,onion,peppers,mushrooms,eggs and whatever else. Condensed milk (canned) is often on sale and takes up less space than that UH stuff. Mixing powder isn't worth it to me. Also fish cakes with eggs and brown beans for any meal.
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 12:00   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I'm a porridge fan.
French toast is good, but a messy clean up (dishes)
Egg sandwich is also good and needs no plates.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 12:22   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgal View Post
I'm thinking of getting lots of powdered milk, but I'm not sure what brand. Any suggestions?
Test each brand. Its quite importasnt as each one tastes different.
We have moved onto UHT milk.

To the OP we have just found TVP or TSP - textured vegetable/Soy Protein. In boxes it is ultra cheap. It swells to a 3 x multiple and camoflages itself as anything or ground beef. It takes the flavor of whatever else there is.
So for a couple, in a pasta, stew, dinner of any sort except steak/roast just add 1 teaspoon per person of TVP into the normal dish as a meat supliment.

So for breakfast could be used in rissoles or baked beans etc.

Don't use it by itself.

The whole idea is to use such a little amount so no one knows its there.

Cruising has made us lose so much weight we need all the extra energy we can get. And in the rest of the world meat is expensive!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 12:55   #10

Boat: PETERSON 44
Baked beans for breakfast? That's worse then pancakes at noon.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 13:19   #11

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Had someone ask us awhile back as to what we ate while cruising.. the wife and I looked at each other and smiled.. and then said, we eat the same things you do while not cruising..
And as I write this, i'm injoying a boul of sweet and sour beans cooked in the crokpot and poured over frest hot cornbread.. and I can smell the homemade brownees cooking in the oven..
BY THE WAY..
thought I'd add this.. If you've ever made brownees while underway, you know they kinda move around a little and one end of the pan is cooked a little over and the other end a little under...
PROBLEM SOLVED
The wife made up some the other day and used a Cup Cake pan to cook them in..
They all came out in uniform shape and size and were cooked perfect everyone..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 15:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgal View Post
Just curious -- since milk goes with cereal, are you planning to have milk aboard? I'm thinking of getting lots of powdered milk, but I'm not sure what brand. Any suggestions? I've always been a milk drinker. It keeps my bones nice and strong!
We plan on taking a lot of UHT milk and as a back up, powdered milk. We've done the taste tests and we're all happy with one of the UK's national supermarket's own brand for both (Tesco). One of the things we've noticed with UHT milk is the pouring spout, if it's one of those flat type, with a tear off seal inside, they spill quite easily when opened and the reseal is poor.. Some brands have a screw cap and they are much better, especially when the carton falls over in the fridge (as it will, even in the door) during rough weather.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
Old 17-04-2010, 16:22   #13

Boat: a sailing boat
I like a bread breakfast and I like it late. So we just bake some bread in the morning and I have sandwiches when it cools down.

If you bake your bread many crew will love it, no matter really what comes in the sandwich. Just the fresh bread and butter - yummie (butter - Dutch, from the can, but sure fresh butter would be better yet - just no way you can milk the cow when it is rolly ;-)))

I think that for the night shift coming off the watch in the morning just the smell of the bread being baked should do ;-)

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 17:11   #14

Boat: Beneteau First 42
I picked up the following from another site some while ago.

ZIPLOC OMELET:

(This works great!!! Good for when all your family is together. The best part is that no one has to wait for their special omelet!!!)

Have guests/crew write their name on a quart-size Ziplock freezer bag with permanent marker. Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) and shake to combine. Add any of a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, chopped ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.

Partially zip up the bags and the squeeze to remove any air and zip the rest of the way. Then, drop the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. (A mid-sized pressure cooker pot with a loose lid can normally cook 6-8 omelets.)

Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily; or, it can simply be eaten directly from the bag! In 13 minutes, you got a nice omelet for a quick meal!!!

FWIW this also works with dried eggs.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 17:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V_Surya View Post
They look very good. I'll have to get a tortilla press and learn to use it. Especially good as one of us (me) is a celiac which means no wheat, rye or barley

P.