Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 11:11   #1

Question Nesting Cookware Pros & Cons

Is anyone using nesting cookware? There are several manufacturers at various price points. We currently have a regular home size set of pans with the handles sticking out all over and I'm wondering if the space savings is worth the switch. If you are using nesting cookware, can you recommend a brand?

Thanks!
Star Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:27   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Yes we use nested pots and pans. Our first set was by T-fal and although it was alright I didn't like the vented lids, the light weight construction and I am not a fan of non-stick finishes.

The set we just bought is by Cuisinart and is much superior IMO. All stainless with aluminum sandwiched into the base for better heat conduction.

You can see them here: Cuisinart Stowaway Nesting Cookware Set - Cuisinart Cookware

Of course we still have a couple of pieces of conventional cookware for special tasks but so far we've really been impressed with the Cuisinart.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:36   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I'm wondering if the space savings is worth the switch.
I think all cookware can be nested to some level. Personally we don't use nested sets. What we do is not bring one of everything. We have some top quality pans we got at outlet sales just not a whole set. We choose them based on how we like to cook. You need pot for the basic one pot meal. A good tea kettle that closes with a whistle. My wife demands something to make popcorn in. We have a pan that looks like a small wok but has a flat bottom. It works like a fry pan as required but you can put shallow liquids in it too. We have small square grill pan that you can cook a steak in if the marina does not have a grill. A tall pot can be used under sail without sloshing. You need lids for everything I feel. Inside that big pot you fill with small items likely to get lost or somehow recycle the space. We have an oven that is full under way with nested other large items like a salad bowl.

You need real tools to cook with. I backpacked for 40 years too but in the end I went the same route with cookware. You don't need toy pots and pans. You just can't have a whole set with a pot hanger above your head.

Space on the boat is at a premium no matter the size of your boat. A good rule of thumb is if you can't use something for multiple purposes it is not worth brining. I just don't let my wife leave me at the dock.

The easy way is to think of everything you ever cooked aboard. After a period of time if you have never made something you probably won't. Find the common denominator of pans. Some pans work in the oven as well as the top of the stove. Those have high value. So, if you just can't leave the spring pan home - then don't. You pack what fits and make do with what you bring. I consider eating a primary source of entertainment and enjoyment. Pack accordingly.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:41   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
The handles aren't very good on those sold at online Chandlery's that I've seen. I have a new set that works ok but ya have to make sure the handle is engaged right, unless ya wanna wear the food.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 13:16   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I have the t-fal and am vry happy with them and i like the holes in the lid to strain ff water-but it would bebetter if the holes were able to close
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 13:49   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

I will concede that these have not yet made it to the boat.......but I use them at home no problem. They are "real" items - albeit Gordon Ramsey may have a different f#cking opinion

Ooops - wot no image!

They have a bit of weight in them - and feel good, but not what I would call top notch (like I really know what I am talking about!! ........but they are real day to day use stuff and 100% NOT camping pans or anything close, which I really do not like (even if they do stack neatly).

Made by Tefal.....known as T-FAL in the US - but when I did a search a while back these models did not seem to be stocked in the US......

The big sell was the folding and NOT detachable handles.......to ensure I do not lose them
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:38   #7

Nesting sets

We have just bought the fagor nesting pan sets. Solid stainless steel with good designed handle that feel comfy. I love them.. If you can love pans. Comes with 3 plastic lids for sealing pans when store in food. however the pans lids have vents holes in them and therefore can fill the boat with steam! This is the only fault I have with them. Bought at the London Boat show. Available on online too.
Georgiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:03   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
We bought a camping set, 3 pots the pans. The pans double as lids. It works ok for us, haven't had a time where I couldn't cook what I wanted. Cooking utensils are important as well. I need to make some purchases there, do some tweaking. The pot set came in a mesh bag and it is light and takes up very little room.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:15   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
If you intend to cook your meals as if you're at home and not make cruising into an extended camping trip proper pots and pans are a must. Over the years we've taken all sorts of pots and pans aboard including cast iron fish or steak pans (the big square ones). These we didn't use much and finally chucked them. We rely on a good pots and pan set with lids and a good cast iron frying pan. We've got rid of the barbeque and rely on the cast iron pan for steaks. The boat should be like your home, within reason, of course.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:40   #10

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I probably should have given a little more info about my situation.

We've been living aboard and cruising in Mexico for the last four years. When we first got the boat, in 2000, I bought a new set of Calaphon non-stick pans. They are showing their age and hard use and a few need to be replaced in any case. We don't have a microwave on the boat, and the space where the builder intended one to go is what we use for primary pan storage. So our thought was to possibly get a nesting set, store them in the oven, and convert the space back to a microwave.

We travelled last year on an Atlantic crossing from Florida to Gibraltar on a friend's Nordhavn. She had a Magma set. They are expensive and heavy (a pro and a con) and I see that there are several other kinds out there, so I was wondering about other's experiences with them. Also, with the nesting set, you can't just grab a pan. You have to pull out the whole set and assemble the ones you need. If they are stored in the oven, and you need to use the oven, then they have to float around somewhere til the oven is cool.

Fagor has evidently quite making their Smarter Multifunctional set due to the high cost of steel. Cuisinart does make a set that looks good and cabo_sailor has had good experience with. Galleyware makes a set, which seems to be proprietary - not just a resale of a major manufacturer and I'm wondering if this is the type with which some have reported handle attachment problems. Does anyone have experience with that set?

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Star Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 21:28   #11

Location: New Zealand originally, but now Malaysia & Thailand
Boat: Kendall 32, Daemon
Magma Pots

Hi,
We have a set of Magma nesting pots on our 32' yacht and I love them. Back in my shore-bound days I was a keen cook and very fussy about pots, and these are great to use. They are very heavy, but they don't stain, burn or deform, and the pan is deep enough to use as a wok for stir-fries and heavy enough to cook steak well.
The downsides are not enough lids, and the large pot is too high for the oven when the pan is used as a lid. I have solved this by using stainless steel camping plates as extra lids.
The detachable handles seem well-made and they have taken a beating with no major deterioration. The set fits neatly into a small deep drawer with space around them for dish towels and a hand blender. I wouldn't be without them and would still keep them to use when/if we ever move ahore again.
Cheers,
Jill
Old 16-07-2008, 04:59   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
We started using our Cuisinart nesting set a few weeks ago. Excellent set. Cooks well and cleans up well. And less than $100.

Some of the sets seemed to have pots that didn't make sense for a small galley stove. There is only so much room for sauce pans on a 3 burner stove.

The Cuisinart set is an excellent choice.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 05:47   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I guess space would be the first question? Are you limited in space? On my 30ftr. I bought the less than $100.00 nesting set from Worst Marine. That was in 1992, and their life was limited.

Now we can't use 1/2 of our storage space. We carry everything we had in our home. Good quality nonstick. 16" & 14" cast iron pans. Since you already have years of experience I am sure you will be able to pick wisely. Nobody lives on a boat for 4 years without becoming smarter everyday......BEST WISHES in finding what fits your needs
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 08:59   #14

Re: Nesting Cookware Pros & Cons

I recently bought the Fagor 16 piece set and love it. The plastic lids are not really that useful as I don't store in the pans. Fagor also makes a 15 pan set that includes a smaller sauce pan set. Am looking for one to buy and with the 2 set will have plenty of options-I love to cook from scratch and 3 pans really don't cut it.
Penny85024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2011, 09:05   #15

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Re: Nesting Cookware Pros & Cons

Nesting cookware is unnecessary. Why not just throw a whole bunch of dishes in your pressure cooker? Clever, efficient stowage is a lot more effective than absolute minimum volume usage for each belonging.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote