Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2011, 12:40   #1

Boat: 29 phoenix The Last Hour
Need Some Help Planning a Trip

I'm new to sailing, but have been on the water my whole life. I need to know how long of a trip to expect from Connecticut to the Chesapeake bay, with a Pro captain. Mostly ICW, not at night. The boat is a csy 44 1980, with a yanmar 75 expecting 6knots. I don't understand the effects of current and the tides on this trip south. We are planning the trip in May. The boat is being purchased used, I'm sure we will have some unforseen surprises, but the engine is 3 yrs old with 300hrs. Assuming we don't break down, what would be a reasonable time frame with a Pro Captain driving/teaching along the way. The destination for the Boat is Jacksonville,fl eventually. I have limited vacation time, so I need to do this in 3 legs. If Virginia/maryland is the destination of leg 1, what should be destination of leg2? Any recommendations for storage yards at each leg would be appreciated. As many of you are, I'm price sensitive to storage, but I want the boat to be safe.
Steve
thelasthour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 12:52   #2

Boat: 2004 Beneteau 473
Send a message via Yahoo to Knucklehead
I normally do not respond to inquiries on CF, but, I did the trip with a very experienced CAPT June of last year.
We left Annapolis and traveled outside to Charleston. Later I, without CAPT, traveled in Oct down the ICW.
My boat was a Beneteau 461 with a little less than 6 ft for a draft. Great boat.
From Annapolis to Charleston took a little over four days with heavy head winds, thank you Yanmar.
From Charleston to Miami took forever, down the ICW.
Suggest incoming tides for your travel. I would also suggest going outside and avoid Georgia completely.
Personally, unless I am in a power boat or catamaran, NEVER AGAIN will I use the ICW. COE where are you, (Corps of Engineers)
BTW - treat the magenta line with some doubt. I will tell you that there are great anchorages along the way. Especially in NC and SC.
Again mind the tides and channel markers and select a NLT drop anchor time. Barges are interesting to pass
Knucklehead
Old 20-02-2011, 06:29   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
A reasonable second leg might be Charleston, SC. Certainly, if you had favorable weather and could sail outside and run 24 hours a day, you would make a much faster voyage.

If storage cost is an issue, consider hiring a captain and 1 or 2 crew to take it all the way to Jacksonville. I don't know your vacation schedule but if you are sailing times are months apart the cost could soon be offset. Then you would have the boat at home and could go down the St. Johns and sail her all you wanted, when you wanted. Also, the northern FL, southern, GA part of the ICW is a nice cruising ground on it's own.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote