Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-05-2014, 15:28   #16

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Need help with GALLEY supplies

Not every one has the same skill level in the galley and the same goes for what they expect to come out of the galley. I know guys who buy a loaf of white bread off the grocery store shelf, peanut butter and jelly and think that is provisions for the week.

On the other hand some folks make their own salsa with fresh tomatoes and herbs grown on the boat.

Lots of folks sing the praises of pressure cookers, but they just take up space if you use then once every three months. There is a facebook group "pressure cooking on boats" with lots of good stuff, but if you don't use a pressure cooker on land I am not sure how much you will use one on a boat.

One book I have found very useful was written after Andrew hit Miami and has advice about meals that don't require a stove or refrigerator. Lots of the ideas in this book can be applied to preparing meals on a boat.

The Storm Gourmet: A Guide to Creating Extraordinary Meals Without Electricity: Daphne Nikolopoulos: 9781561643349: Amazon.com: Books

One tip, try out things before you buy a lot of them. I really like the generic Walmart tropical fruit salad much more than the generic Walmart fruit salad. You don't want a lot of provisions or pots or pans or plates on your boat that you really don't like as well as something else.

I tend to do things like stock up on say fruit salad and cottage cheese and crackers. I eat out of the can eliminating any dishes and lick the spoon before I wash it. But when I have guests I may put out a real spread from soup to nuts (nuts are a great snack and require no cleanup).

Old 15-05-2014, 16:42   #17

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34 #142

I think you can easily get by with just three pots:

1) 12-inch non stick fry pan
2) Enameled cast iron dutch oven
3) Kuhn Rikon 4th Burner pot

I am actually writing a cookbook called "The Three Pot Galley" using just these pots, a few simple utensils, and a very small pantry. It will be available free online once I get a little further along.

We live aboard full time and are foodies, but this is sufficient everything. Add in a cookie sheet and a muffin tin and you are golden for baking too.

RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 05:39   #18

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I think you can easily get by with just three pots:

1) 12-inch non stick fry pan
2) Enameled cast iron dutch oven
3) Kuhn Rikon 4th Burner pot

I am actually writing a cookbook called "The Three Pot Galley" using just these pots, a few simple utensils, and a very small pantry. It will be available free online once I get a little further along.

We live aboard full time and are foodies, but this is sufficient everything. Add in a cookie sheet and a muffin tin and you are golden for baking too.

I think I agree with the concept of simplicity... although I suspect that also often leads to "just making do" with whatever is available, versus using a more purpose-specific implement that might make the job easier/faster/cleaner, etc.

A slightly alternative point is that nesting stuff (Magma, etc.) doesn't take up much more space... although, yes, other stuff might also have nested inside instead.

In our case, storage space isn't much of a concern (in the grand scheme of things), so we're expanded a little, to include some additional thinks folks might not always have room for: slow cooker, spaghetti pot/vegetable steamer, etc. I'd bet personal selection is always a trade-off between interest (foodies vs. PBJ sandwiches), skill, and space.

All that said, your cookbook sounds very useful

-Chris
Old 16-05-2014, 07:54   #19

Boat: Able 50

Galleyware has a range of pots that is similar to Magma and slightly cheaper.
Nesting Stainless Steel Cookware Sets, Non Stick Cookware | Galleyware Company
Old 16-05-2014, 08:28   #20

Boat: Beneteau 473

We pretty much have the same set up as Mike O'Riley. We added a small, non-stick frying pan. Instead of the French press, I brought my small Nespresso expresso machine -- a power pig I know but only for about 15 seconds. We like our drinks cold so we brought two stainless steel vacuum glasses made by Thermos, it is not uncommon to find ice in them the next morning.

+1 on the pressure cooker and spices too. I haven't been brave enough to try goat yet, so I have no idea if my spices will transform it into a gourmet meal!

Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 08:50   #21

Boat: Able 50

Goat is great. It tastes like mutton. It is better if slow cooked in some kind of stew.

Indian restaurants call goat curry " mutton ". Not sure why.
Old 16-05-2014, 11:16   #22

Boat: islandpacket

The new magma nesting cookware has the new ceramic coating on the inside. I have heard fantastic things about it. They also make a nesting pad for protection when stacking to keep from scratching the inside.
Old 16-05-2014, 12:39   #23

Boat: Beneteau 461

One thing I love is galleyware nonskid plates and bowls. Check out their web. When we got our boat last year I got most of my staff from their web. Prices are good.

Tags
galley

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: