Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 23:04   #16

Boat: Baltic 38DP
Re: Need help for Food on sailing trip

Have 3 meals prepared beforehand, especially if the weather is not that great. You don't know what things are going to be like on the first day, whether a lot of people are seasick or not. It might be difficult to cook and if you only need to heat something up then that can be a godsend.

Stick to 1 pan recipes as much as possible.

I second the idea of the pressure cooker - it is also very safe in case the boat's movement causes the pan to head towards you: the food and hot liquid will stay inside the pan.

When cooking whilst underway, make sure you don't have bare skin showing, particularly on your legs. It can also be a good idea to shackle yourself to a secure point - most good yachts will have a clipping point or railing for this near the stove.

Make sure you have a good routine handling your stove. It is very easy to forget to turn it off, or to forget turning the main gas switch off.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:39   #17

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwink View Post
It doesn't have any type of refrigeration or stove. I'm going to bring either a hot plate or a little burner...
Are you planning to use them on board? Just be careful, specially if you plan to use anything with propane that is not permanently installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Keep it simple.

I would prepare or buy ready to eat stuff, prepared salad, lasagna from Costco, or even canned pasta sauce with pre-cooked pasta, mac & cheese, tuna salad and cold cuts for sandwiches, instant soups/noodles in a cup, pancakes, cold or hot cereal for breakfast. Avoid all fried and greasy foods. Have plenty of beverage choices, fresh fruit, salty and sweet snacks, saltines, energy bars...
++1

Without a way to cook on-board you better off with meals made in advance.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:59   #18

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Also I forgot to mention the sailboat an Irwin 30 it is 30ft long with a 10ft beam
That's a little small for 7 people on an overnight, or even a day sail. Rule of thumb is you need at least one berth for stowing gear, and all crew needs to fit on the windward side (which the Irwin 30 will allow if the weather is nice with crew on the rail, but not in rough or rainy conditions). You hit a spell of rain or rough weather and 7 wet people in an Irwin 30 will get very uncomfortable pretty quickly. it also doesn't carry a lot of water for 7 showers plus washing dishes, hands etc.

But to get back to your question; since you mentioned it doesn't have an equipped galley, you need single-pot or pan recipes, or grilling. Chili, stew, rice or quinoa dishes will serve you well.

Check out this one for something a little out of the ordinary. African Spinach And Peanut Butter Stew Recipe - Food.com - 348276. I'd add in some beans to give it some protein and make it more filling.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 19:58   #19

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

As I make a midnight snack right now. It is simple, doe snot cost much, and for something you can have not just for breakfast is french toast. Can even prepare it before hand.

I usually eyeball since this is one of my favorite treats.

I usually add one egg per person

about half a cup per egg of Milk

cinnamon appx 1/4 tsp per egg

sugar 1/4 tsp per egg

vanilla extract less then 1/4 tsp per egg careful to not add to much it can overpower.

All the bread needed to soak up the mix

Add everything together in a bowl or a casserole dish, The batter should be a nice light yellow. If you want you can add the egg first then the milk till it is a nice light yellow. Mix it all up and there ya go. Dip the bread one side at a time rather quickly to coat it with the mix. I cook on a cast iron pan and add butter for nonstick just enough to coat the pan. Cook away.

Its also good to keep for a day or two. I will sometimes do a monty crisco sandwich for lunch. Just reheat like a grilled cheese using swiss cheese and I usually with the open pan space quickly heat up the ham while I reheat the toast.

Simple to make and tastes good any way.
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 17:33   #20

Boat: islandpacket

I'm concerned about your portable hot plate. Is it gas? How will you secure it as the boat moves? For three days and a bunch of youngsters I would go with cereal, fruit , coldcuts, penutbutter, bread and lots of bottled water with flavor packs. Keep it simple.
Old 09-04-2014, 17:45   #21

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Look up recipes for ChakaLaka
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 18:43   #22

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Some good suggestions above. Mine is to try out your recipes at home before the trip.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 19:19   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Sorry, I should have explained myself better.
I am going to be on the boat for 72 hours, and I need something that could be manageable in a relatively small space (because i'm on a boat ) And for the cost its only for a few people, and i foundout it can go higher anyway, so gimme what ya got!

thanks, "Gwink"
Gee, I thought the campfire suggestion was wonderful. I'm still rolling Perhaps you can roast weenies on a fishing rod.

You didn't mention the number of people and boat size.

If your boat has refrigeration, or, if you can bring a suitable cooler, this should be easy. We packed for a four week voyage by pre-preparing meals and freezing in Zipper freezer & vacuum sealed bags. This also reduces the fuel (campfire wood) consumed and makes it easy to eat if conditions are not so good. If you load the frozen food in a cooler a day or two ahead of time and pack in a 5 -10 pound block of dry ice the food will be so cold it will keep for a very long time. If you have a freezer and fridge, or two ice chests, Move some hard as bricks rations into the second cooler to thaw slowly, It will cool you sodas and keep other items from spoiling.

Caution, dry ice is so cold it will make your plastic cooler brittle if it is in close contact. Wrap it in a small towel & centralize it in the stack of food. Handle it using that towel and not your skin.

We over estimated our consumption and ate portion pack for another three weeks when we got home.

Consider prepared soups available in sealed pouches. If you plan to cook from scratch, you can buy chicken or beef stock in boxes as starter. Vegetables will easily keep for the time period you describe. Take some hand food such as fruit and nuts, trail mix. Make sure you will have enough water.
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 20:25   #24

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Another caution about dry ice is that as it warms up and returns to the gaseous state, it is carbon dioxide ( CO2) and being heavier than air, tends to accumulate in the lowest part of an enclosed space, just as leaked propane does. The danger is suffocation. In a severely under-ventilated boat, it could happen.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 21:23   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Gwink:

Great handle. The suggestion to pre test meals is excellent 'cause you'll be able to know whether or not the other Scouts will like "it".

A small suggestion: both plain boiled potatoes and hard cooked eggs are easy to grab and eat if there is much motion--and they are easy to digest.

The pressure cooker would be best, 'cause it is spill proof, but if you can't get one, instead look for the kind of big pot that has a lid that has a longish flange to help the lid stay on, like a Revere Ware pot from the Salvation Army or St. Vincent.

If what you wind up with on the boat is a Sea Swing, you'll have to cook in shifts, it will not support a large enough pot for all 7 or 8 of you. If you know you'll be at anchor, you might try a soup, but I would not recommend making soup from scratch while under way to someone who has never cooked at sea. If the sea state is lumpy, there is danger from boiling soup stock. You may become seasick, and trying to cook under that condition is quite unpleasant, ranging to impossible. You might give a little thought to a backup plan.

I think your best bet will be (as suggested by others already) dinners that are either rice or beans based; oatmeal breakfasts; fruit and nuts snacks; and sandwich lunches. If you're going to cook over a campfire, you can make packets from aluminum foil that you fill with cooked rice, meat optional, add chopped onion, green pepper, sweet corn, and whatever else you like, and seal it up and cook it over the fire. I've used diced potatoes in place of the rice, and also sweet potato can be used. Everybody compiles his/her own based on your forethought about ingredients. It's kiind of fun. Sometimes people put Catsup in them, too.

Have a great time, all of you.

Ann
Old 10-04-2014, 16:15   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We always kept left-over pancakes & waffles to make PBJ at lunch.
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 15:42   #27

Okay, I'm a little late on this reply, but.

When I was your age I spent a lot of time hiking the Appalachian Trail, basically living off dehydrated foods for up to two weeks at a time. Dehydrated food has gotten much better all these decades later. But...you guys need some tasty, nutritious, filling, food.

Take along plenty of bread, peanut butter, and jelly/jam.
Take plenty of Saltines. They help calm queasy stomachs, and you can put the peanut butter and jelly on them when the bread runs out.

Soup!
There is a company called BEAR CREEK which packages several dehydrated soups. My favorite is their potato soup.

Before writing this I wanted to make sure the recipe would turn out the way I wanted, so I got the ingredients and made it this afternoon.

1 package of Bear Creek potato soup mix
1 package (16 oz) italian sweet sausage
2 cans cut green beans

Partially freeze the italian sausage(it makes it easier to cut)
Cut it into 1/4 inch slices(kinda like pepperoni, only thicker)
Brown the sausage in a soup pot or pressure cooker(lid off)
After the sausage is browned a little pour in 1-2 cups of water to deglaze the pot
Add the rest of the water...8 cups total
Bring to a boil
Add soup mix
Add the two cans of cut green beans and any other veggies you want.
Simmer a few minutes and serve

Can't imagine anyone not liking it...and it's filling.
Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 10:34   #28

Boat: O'day 27

Order some MRE AKA meals ready to eat ( Army food), they are extra fortified with vitamins, minerals etc...
youngson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 16:42   #29

Boat: Pearson P30

MRE's in a pinch will do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
P30Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 18:10   #30

Boat: Spacesailer 20

Right now, in the U.S., there is a company selling prepackaged/freeze dried meals for a person for 72 hours for only $10. That would make for fairly inexpensive extremely lightweight food. I don't know what the quality is like, I've ordered some, but I have not received them. They also have a two-week supply that they sell for $99. I didn't want to commit to anything greater than the three days because I wanted to see what kind of quality they had. I don't think you can actually select the specific meals, but, hopefully, they actually provide some decent quality meals for you do want to buy more.

My Patriot Supply:
(800) 274-3009

Please note, I am neither recommending purchasing from these people nor saying that this is something you should buy. But there are a lot of these types of things available. This is not the only one.

I wish you well! By the way, I did not see an update about your trip. How did it go?

(SIGH)
I'd rather be sailing.

Tags
food, sail, sailing