Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2015, 07:37   #46

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Need Fishing Gear Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Brown View Post
Got me thinking now. Do Dolphin actually go for bait/lures, or are they smarter than that?
We have never had dolphins pay any attention to our lures - they seem too interested in our boat instead.

However, we did get into a pod of pilot whales once where the pod was swimming with our boat like dolphins do (very scaring having something that big drafting on you - let alone 8 of them). After a while playing with the boat, two of them dropped back to our lures and started playing with them. They would nose right up to the lures and flip them around, swim under them and throw them up in the air with their fins/tails, etc.

The only reason we were not afraid of hooking one was because we were preoccupied with the terror of having several of these large animals riding/drafting within inches under the sterns on each side of our rudders and saildrives while several others were riding/drafting within inches under our bows.

We were so happy when they finally left - felt like hours.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 08:02   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapium View Post
Wow- thanks for all the input folks! I'm definitely diggin this forum for all the incredible advice we've gotten on such a huge range of topics. While I did indeed go on a 'spending spree' it's not like I've broken the bank or anything. Here's what I've amassed so far:

One huge lot of lures
4 Penn / Similar reels
Four saltwater poles from 6' - 9'
20 sets of 50 hooks in various sizes (these are also for trade with locals)
Various other small tackle

Total outlay so far is about $225.

I'm definitely leaning towards the hand fishing while underway. Seems logical to me, and will get a couple rigs. In terms of lures, I do have a big bunch that I got cheap as a lot. Don't really know what I'm looking at though... Maybe some advice on which of these will work and which I should stash for trade goods?

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/xolt8t81g...hlpldr6cQImTTa
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ycn1i4t1t...ZlFqI6SOqhHvLa
The cedar plugs work well and they are not too expensive... there is a photo of one on a yo-yo set up that someone posted on this thread
GreenIssue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 09:09   #48

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIssue View Post
The cedar plugs work well and they are not too expensive... there is a photo of one on a yo-yo set up that someone posted on this thread

We also find the cedar plugs work well for us.

Using a yo-yo hand line with a bungee has worked great for us for the last 17 years of cruising. We have a variety of lures depending on what speed we are traveling. Rapalas work very well at less than 5 knots. We also run a wire leader as the lures are so expensive we hate to loose them to a toothy beast! Usually we run 2 lures off the back. One running deep and the other in the surface.

Try making lures using a bottle top and a chip bag. It has been very successful with Mahi Mahi. The only real expense is buying a hook and maybe a piece of wire leader. What a lure made out of a potato chip bag... WTF! Laugh all you want but they do work!

You can see a detailed write up on how to make your own chip bag lures on our website under "Other Good Stuff". Also listed there are some tips we jotted down from 4 summers fishing in the Sea of Cortez.

Happy fishing!

Chuck
Jacaranda
Nuku Hiva, Marquesas

www.jacarandajourney.com
Old 30-09-2015, 09:36   #49

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yes, it's what old timers call Mahi- Mahi or whatever its called now.
I believe the name was changed because tourists wouldn't eat Flipper or maybe fancy name = higher prices
Wait, are we not supposed to eat Dolphin/ Porpoise???

Seriously though when out fishing on the smaller boat if we are dragging rigged ballyhoo, Porpoise / dolphin will strip the bally hoo off the hooks, once in a great while one will take the line on a 30mph joyride but they usually drop the rig, Never actually hooked one and if you did, they are wayyy to powerful to reel in.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 09:42   #50

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

In the canned tuna we get nowadays you can barely detect the taste of Dolphin.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 17:59   #51

Boat: Jeanneau DS 49

Maui and Tuna are on the surface, don't worry about going deep, they feed on the surface
Old 30-09-2015, 18:50   #52

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Brown View Post
Got me thinking now. Do Dolphin actually go for bait/lures, or are they smarter than that?
Dolphin the mammal right? Never hooked, nor heard of, one being hooked or even foul hooked. Have had them playing off the bows many times while trolling. No worries.

They will screw up your fishing if you are going for smaller species though, because they are very effective predators...terrified fish dont feed!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 18:54   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
kiss.
Ha, Ive got exactly the same rig aboard....plus all the complicated stuff!
Old 30-09-2015, 18:57   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have never heard of them going for it, I've caught most everything else though, even seagulls, but I believe somehow Dolphins know better.
Ive had seagulls be a serious nuisance...especially when spin casting...have had them catch the lure in flight...real pain to get treble hooks out of a freaked out seagull !
Old 30-09-2015, 19:10   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post

Try making lures using a bottle top and a chip bag. It has been very successful with Mahi Mahi. The only real expense is buying a hook and maybe a piece of wire leader. What a lure made out of a potato chip bag... WTF! Laugh all you want but they do work!

I make up my own lures too out of random stuff and they are surprisingly effective. Lures of PVC plugs plus a plastic skirt or unlayed line are very inexpensive and work well. While finished lures are spendy, many of the components to make them are not, I stock a bunch of plastic skirts of different colors and a some PVC plugs in my tackle box...quick and easy to make up a new lure.

Read an article once by a sport fishing captain who on a bet made up a lure out of an old flip-flop and caught Marlin on it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1443665060287.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	110280   Click image for larger version

Name:	1443665115869.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	110281  

Old 30-09-2015, 19:24   #56

Boat: Norman Cross Trimaran, 46'

The general consensus I'm getting from the responses is that 'squid' looking lures (whether mass produced or homemade) tend to be the most effective. Is that an accurate statement?
Serapium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 19:26   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

However, we did get into a pod of pilot whales once where the pod was swimming with our boat like dolphins do (very scaring having something that big drafting on you - let alone 8 of them). After a while playing with the boat, two of them dropped back to our lures and started playing with them. They would nose right up to the lures and flip them around, swim under them and throw them up in the air with their fins/tails, etc.

Had two come up right under my hulls once, I didnt see them, but I did notice the depth go to a few feet from off soundings...we were, or should have been, in a few thousand feet of water. That really got my pucker factor up for a few moments! Once I confirmed we in fact were in deep water, I started looking around and noticed a big silhouette right under the boat...he then rolled out and looked at me with one eye...I think he was grinning!
Old 30-09-2015, 19:45   #58

Most of the time I troll a squid like lure, but tried a diving type lure with a bill and no swivel in the line OMG do you know how many revolutions a fouled lure can turn and what it will do to the line in an hour!!!!
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 19:45   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post

Cool idea. Sort of like "flashabou" material which is used in lure/fly making. Definately gonna try this one.

Commercial flashabou:

http://www.amazon.com/Packs-Flashabo.../dp/B00D824EKY
Old 30-09-2015, 20:09   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapium View Post
The general consensus I'm getting from the responses is that 'squid' looking lures (whether mass produced or homemade) tend to be the most effective. Is that an accurate statement?
Cut open a tuna's stomach and you will almost certainly find squid in there.

Tags
fish, fishing, gear