Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-11-2014, 07:16   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: My Quest for Water - Engineering build on a RO system

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
I see the genius man who knows just about everything whirring, thumping and humming... was finally able to upload an avatar... Did your kid do it for you???
No, I did have some help though. Funny as I used to "build" computers, which of course is actually assembling parts, but somehow or another I've just lost interest. I'm not quite to the point of fixing the flashing time on the VCR with a piece of electrical tape, but I'm getting there.
People still use VCR's right?

Old 10-11-2014, 07:16   #32

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Here is a high output watermaker build for $1500..
Dido's Watermaker - Build your own!

If you follow the article index on the right hand, he details the modifications he makes and problems he has.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:20   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Honestly,
Twenty years ago, I would really have wanted the latest electronics, and I would have integrated all of it together. Now I just want an autopilot that will hold a heading, and I'd be fine with paper charts. I guess this is just getting old? You just lose the passion for the latest gimmick?
Old 10-11-2014, 07:21   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I even figured out how to become a supporter on my own
Old 10-11-2014, 10:13   #35

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Honestly,
Twenty years ago, I would really have wanted the latest electronics, and I would have integrated all of it together. Now I just want an autopilot that will hold a heading, and I'd be fine with paper charts. I guess this is just getting old? You just lose the passion for the latest gimmick?
Good on you a64.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:50   #36

Boat: Under construction

I have often wondered if it is possible to build a manual RO system using either pedal power or perhaps hydraulic assistance on a device similar to a stepper machine that you would see in a gym. It would obviously mean that you would have to work up a sweat in order to make the water for a shower but it would help to keep you fit between maintenance chores.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:20   #37

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
... A sub $1500 water maker that runs on 12V changes the landscape. At that price point, many weekend cruisers would start to consider one.
Start to consider one? Assuming it was safe, legal, reliable and built well, I'd be seriously interested in buying one. I know of at least one other sailor who would too.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:06   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris66 View Post
I have often wondered if it is possible to build a manual RO system using either pedal power or perhaps hydraulic assistance on a device similar to a stepper machine that you would see in a gym. It would obviously mean that you would have to work up a sweat in order to make the water for a shower but it would help to keep you fit between maintenance chores.

Of course you can, just as you can charge your batteries the same way, but either requires more work than you might think
Old 12-11-2014, 09:07   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill4 View Post
Start to consider one? Assuming it was safe, legal, reliable and built well, I'd be seriously interested in buying one. I know of at least one other sailor who would too.
Yup, thats the basis of a capitalistic economy. As the price of a product falls, demand rises. Eventually a sweet spot is found.

The more I think about this, the more I believe it will happen. The fact is, the market for an affordable water maker is HUGE... Not in North America, but in China and India. Eventually the Chinese will build one themselves.

I have to disagree with the Rich about "ethics" on this one. I see absolutely no ethics issue with using an expired patent to make a product cheaper and increase competition. In fact, that is exactly why the patent system was created in the first place. It gives the original inventor a period of time (20 years) to prepare before they have competition. In many cases, the competition improves the product after the expiration.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:35   #40

Quote:
Here is some food for thought...

150 watts is about maximum a "average" human can put out and sustain for an hour. That would be about enough to power a Spectra v200t. So you would be able to make about 16 gallons minus the backflush. Lets say about 13 gallons once you factor the loss for backflush, time to backflush and fluid loss of your body.

So its possible, but a damn lot of work. Not to mention developing a system that couples your energy to the pumps.

The sad part.. You would only burn about 200kcal in that hour.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:10   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

You old farts have short memories--the hand operated watermaker has been around for decades.

1 Katadyn Desalinator Survivor 35 with Membrane Hose Kit and Seal Kit New | eBay
Old 12-11-2014, 11:43   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS27

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Here is some food for thought...

150 watts is about maximum a "average" human can put out and sustain for an hour. That would be about enough to power a Spectra v200t. So you would be able to make about 16 gallons minus the backflush. Lets say about 13 gallons once you factor the loss for backflush, time to backflush and fluid loss of your body.

So its possible, but a damn lot of work. Not to mention developing a system that couples your energy to the pumps.

The sad part.. You would only burn about 200kcal in that hour.
The V200T consumes 10 AH to produce 8.3 gallons of water in one hour. But you are forgetting that this efficiency is due to the Clark Pump. Without it the 150 watts would produce a lot less water.
Old 12-11-2014, 14:52   #43

Boat: Under construction

[QUOTE=travellerw;1676057]Here is some food for thought...

The sad part.. You would only burn about 200kcal in that hour.[/QUOTE

It does sound like hard work but I am sure a clever engineer could couple something like the Ecologic foot powered pump ecologics' step action pump - a high capacity water pump for small scale miners and farmers in developing economies with a membrane system and a whizbang controller to create a low cost system.
Old 12-11-2014, 15:19   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
You old farts have short memories--the hand operated watermaker has been around for decades.

1 Katadyn Desalinator Survivor 35 with Membrane Hose Kit and Seal Kit New | eBay

Have you ever used a hand powered one? We had them in our life rafts in th emilitary
they work, you won't die of thirst, but it's a lot of work
Old 12-11-2014, 16:04   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS27

Quote:

It does sound like hard work but I am sure a clever engineer could couple something like the Ecologic foot powered pump ecologics' step action pump - a high capacity water pump for small scale miners and farmers in developing economies with a membrane system and a whizbang controller to create a low cost system.
The controller would not help much. You need about 800 psi to push water through the membrane. The step action pump is only 30 psi.

Tags
engine, engineer, water

« Solar oven? | Rum »
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: