Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2013, 17:57   #61
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Talking about mustard



Anybody knows what a "Captain's Dinner" is?
__________________

__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 18:50   #62
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,037
Re: Mustard

On a cruise line, it means you will be seated at the same table as the ship's captain for dinner.

In a US fish or seafood restaurant, it means a big mixed platter of fried seafood and fish, usually the "best" combo plate they can offer you.
__________________

__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 18:56   #63
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
On a cruise line, it means you will be seated at the same table as the ship's captain for dinner.

In a US fish or seafood restaurant, it means a big mixed platter of fried seafood and fish, usually the "best" combo plate they can offer you.
Arghh that's all New World stuff.

__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 19:16   #64
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,260
Re: Mustard

One of the bigger problems, when we first moved aboard, was the decision to go from a dozen types of mustard in the house fridge to only one in the boat fridge. This lead to huge arguments, which we resolved by allowing each partner to select a favorite mustard.

Here's what we ended up with:
* Wonderblond: Horseradish mustard.
* Bash: Dill mustard.

Wasabi, of course, was also included. You've gotta have sushi.
__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 20:26   #65
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
pirate Re: Mustard

That's a bunch of yuppie stuff. This here's Murican mustard.

And the price is R-I-g-h-t!*


* previously posted on the $500/mo thread.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 20:57   #66
Registered User
 
RainDog's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Varies
Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Posts: 1,183
Re: Mustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
One of the bigger problems, when we first moved aboard, was the decision to go from a dozen types of mustard in the house fridge to only one in the boat fridge
Oh the cruelty!
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 12:44   #67
Senior Cruiser
 
Ocean Girl's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In transit ( Texas to wherever the wind blows us)
Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Posts: 4,115
Images: 2
Re: Mustard

Nice vinaigrette dressing recipe

*recipe makes 12 servings

1/2 cup white vinegar ( balsamic is also good)
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon prepared Dijon-style or your favorite mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 cup vegetable oil
4 drops hot sauce
__________________
Mrs. Rain Dog~Ocean Girl
https://raindogps34.wordpress.com
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 13:06   #68
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,311
Re: Mustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Arghh that's all New World stuff.

pickles and beans, I wonder how that will work "out"

is there any cabbage and beer to go with it?
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 14:13   #69
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

pickles and beans, I wonder how that will work "out"

is there any cabbage and beer to go with it?
It's complicated. Those are not "beans", they are what the Dutch call "capucijners". If you look closely you can see they are round.

It comes with fried pig belly (cut like thick bacon), both fried and raw onions, mustard, pickalillie, pickled onions, and pickles. Beer is the preferred drink with it
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 14:35   #70
Registered User
 
RainDog's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Varies
Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Posts: 1,183
Re: Mustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It's complicated. Those are not "beans", they are what the Dutch call "capucijners". If you look closely you can see they are round.

It comes with fried pig belly (cut like thick bacon), both fried and raw onions, mustard, pickalillie, pickled onions, and pickles. Beer is the preferred drink with it
Looks amazing. I want some! Must be my dutch roots.

A fine use of Mustard.

How are capucijners not beans?
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 17:29   #71
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post

Looks amazing. I want some! Must be my dutch roots.

A fine use of Mustard.

How are capucijners not beans?
They are peas. Pisum Sativum. They may be called Brown Marrowfats in English? Here is the picture of the pod:
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 17:41   #72
Registered User
 
RainDog's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Varies
Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Posts: 1,183
Re: Mustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
They are peas. Pisum Sativum. They may be called Brown Marrowfats in English? Here is the picture of the pod:
In the US we call them Blue Podded Peas. I guess to me peas are beans. Either way, I want some! They should of course be eaten with Authentic Dutch Mustard.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 19:32   #73
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post

In the US we call them Blue Podded Peas. I guess to me peas are beans. Either way, I want some! They should of course be eaten with Authentic Dutch Mustard.
And Crosse & Blackwell Piccalillie (which is also called different in the US I think?)
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 19:36   #74
Senior Cruiser
 
Roy M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southwestern Yacht Club, San Diego, CA
Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Posts: 3,042
Images: 4
Re: Mustard

Followed by an ice cold aquavit.
__________________
Roy M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 19:37   #75
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29° 49.16’ N 82° 25.82’ W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,374
Re: Mustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I know, just jossing you

dave
And a funny joss it was.
__________________

__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:11.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.