Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2012, 11:27   #1
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Mung Bean Question

I never heard of eating mung beans in any form but sprouted. Now I find a Bangladesh recipe that calls for mung beans, soaked overnight and cooked with rice and spices. Does anyone have experience with eating whole mung beans hulls and all? Are they bitter?
Old 26-10-2012, 13:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Mung Bean Question

a bit like dried soy beans or kidney beans,soaking them gets rid of the toxins,drain and rinse before cooking the following day,add to soups ,stew,
or boil with rice using 1:2 water ratio,adding cloves,cinnamon,cardamon,pepper,tumeric,cumin,chil li gives you a classic biriyani
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 14:00   #3

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Duh! Whats a biriyani???
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 14:06   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

lmgtfy======biriyani! yum yumms
Biryani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 26-10-2012, 15:14   #5

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I've had mung beans while deployed to Afghanistan and since returning home. As far as I can tell, they taste just like any other bean. I tend to cook them in a stew/soup in a pressure cooker. Personally, I think they turn out better with the pressure cooker than with a regular pot. Just another bean, only smaller.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 18:09   #6

Boat: Shannon, 38' Polindi

I am from India and in India they use Mung beans a lot. The ming beans are easier to digest and cooks faster than other beans.
1 -You can cook mung beans - whole - soaked and cooked even with out a pressure cooker. Season it like any Daal recipie in Indian sites. or see the sesoning instructions below
2- you can cook splint mung daal with out skin and season it like below. it has different texture nad taste than Whole mung. IT cooks lot faster too.
3- You can mix split daal and rice and cook to gether wit hlittle salt and turmeric. (becareful wit hturmeric- use only pinch otherwise the food will taste bitter) Serve with Mango pickle and plain yogurt
4- You can make savory pancakes out of split mung daal. Soak beans, purify wit h little water , add Salt, turmeric, red Pepper to taste , ginger and chpped onions. You can make pancakes out of whole mung too but split dall panckae taste better. serve wit hchopped salad of tomatoes and onions seasoned wit hsalt and pepper.
5- You can make fritters out odf split mung beans. Saok them, blend them, add onions, salt, turmeric, Little baking soda, little lemon, green or red pepper , ginger and chopped onions. Drop spponful in hot oil.
Serve with Chutney or ketchup
Way to season most of the indian dishes. - Heat 1 or 2 tea spoon oil. Add whole mustard seed. Wait till the mustard seeds stop popping( Do not let it burn) then add the item you want to season. then you can add all other spices.
Diane Partyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 18:22   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Partyka View Post
I am from India and in India they use Mung beans a lot. The ming beans are easier to digest and cooks faster than other beans.
1 -You can cook mung beans - whole - soaked and cooked even with out a pressure cooker. Season it like any Daal recipie in Indian sites. or see the sesoning instructions below
2- you can cook splint mung daal with out skin and season it like below. it has different texture nad taste than Whole mung. IT cooks lot faster too.
3- You can mix split daal and rice and cook to gether wit hlittle salt and turmeric. (becareful wit hturmeric- use only pinch otherwise the food will taste bitter) Serve with Mango pickle and plain yogurt
4- You can make savory pancakes out of split mung daal. Soak beans, purify wit h little water , add Salt, turmeric, red Pepper to taste , ginger and chpped onions. You can make pancakes out of whole mung too but split dall panckae taste better. serve wit hchopped salad of tomatoes and onions seasoned wit hsalt and pepper.
5- You can make fritters out odf split mung beans. Saok them, blend them, add onions, salt, turmeric, Little baking soda, little lemon, green or red pepper , ginger and chopped onions. Drop spponful in hot oil.
Serve with Chutney or ketchup
Way to season most of the indian dishes. - Heat 1 or 2 tea spoon oil. Add whole mustard seed. Wait till the mustard seeds stop popping( Do not let it burn) then add the item you want to season. then you can add all other spices.
welcom to the forum diane,you are not diane from "la complice" we met many years ago in the pacific?
cheers alex and sonia,from retingy(then)
Old 27-10-2012, 01:19   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

I make mung bean and potato curry regularly, my other half's favourite curry. The beans don't need soaking, just boil for about 35-40 minutes.
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote