Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-03-2015, 11:18   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Multi Cooker?

I am reviewing my galley equipment ahead of this years Big Baltic Cruise. I have never eaten so much home-cooked food in my life, I think, as I did on last years four-month adventure, so the galley is getting special attention this year.

I want an electric multi-cooker, I think. First of all, it works without gas (I had some gas problems last year), second, it's much more convenient for slow cooking, making rice, etc. We eat a lot of stews on board, and I remember how my mother used to use what she called a "crock pot" for this purpose, in my childhood. Third, it frees up the regular hob, where there's never enough space on the cooktop (even though I have four burners).

The question is whether cruisers are using these on board and whether they have any tips. I can't decide on the correct size -- they come in 2.2 liters (Tefal), and 5 or 6 liters. I use a 4 liter pot to make big batches of lentil stew, so the 2.2 liter one might be too small -- on the other hand, the bigger one will take up a lot of space. Hmm. And maybe this is so convenient that you don't mind making a fresh batch every evening, instead of making it ahead for a few days.

Old 15-03-2015, 11:27   #2

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Multi Cooker?

We use gas for cooking. One bottle lasts us 3 - 4 months. We have a fissler pressure cooker. It's half the height of a normal pressure cooker. Its expensive but good German engineering.

We do lots of slow cooking recipes. The pressure cooker is done in much less time than an electric slow cooker. Usually a quarter of the time. This fits our working and sailing schedule.

We have moved all our electric loads from 110V to 12V. We hardly use our 2000W inverter anymore. We're able to keep our house bank topped off just using solar. This means we run the generator much less.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 15-03-2015, 11:35   #3

Boat: C&C 38'

We use a small electric slow cooker. it draws 184 watts if I remember. We set it in the sink. The inverter is pretty efficient; using it doesn't waste much electricity. It is pretty nice to have a hot meal waiting on us while sailing all day.
Old 15-03-2015, 14:39   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

If I could have only one, multi-use electric appliance it would be a microwave/convection oven. You can use it like a slow cooker, broiler, oven, microwave, dehydrator, sterilizer, popcorn maker, ad inc.
Old 15-03-2015, 17:22   #5

Boat: Kaufman 47

I'm not yet a liveaboard but I would recommend a crock pot as mentioned.

Also, I have heard you can do a lot with some of the nice rice cookers. It's like a multi purpose crock pot as it had a display and all. From what I have read.. .

- Ronnie...on the geaux
Old 15-03-2015, 17:56   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
If I could have only one, multi-use electric appliance it would be a microwave/convection oven. You can use it like a slow cooker, broiler, oven, microwave, dehydrator, sterilizer, popcorn maker, ad inc.
I have a microwave/grill (wish it had convection too) -- built in, as part of the boat's original build. I completely agree that it's by far the most useful appliance in the galley. I use it more than the hob.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0173.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	98920

I have been sporadically trying to find a micro/convection oven which will fit into the same space, but so far without luck.
Old 16-03-2015, 01:30   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Hi Dockhead,

You really just need to sort out your gas bottle issue. Then a pressure cooker is best.
We refuse to have a microwave on board (yes old fashioned but I think it destroys the flavor of the food - my eccentricity - but it only affects us).

Of course we don't have a generator - I might think differently about crockpots if I did.

When we sail we frequently toss a leg of lamb laying on a bed of sliced potatoes or similar into the oven - a couple of hours later dinner is ready. The same is true for chili or beans. Into the pressure cooker and about 1/2 hor/45 minutes later dinner is served.

We only have 2 burners on our hob, but still manage to make very complicated meals - depends on if you like to cook
Old 16-03-2015, 01:48   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

International

Check out the Wonderbag too - energy free crockpot.
Old 16-03-2015, 02:11   #9

I've cooked a few items in crock pots - kalua pork, pork spare ribs, roasts, etc. but I always thought they were very energy inefficient. You're using electricity for hours at a time, the pot and outer container are radiating heat to the surrounding air the entire time. I've used them on an inverter a couple of times and the one that I use is pretty large - it put a pretty big drain on the batteries.

I always thought pressure cookers were very fast and efficient, great results without the need for long term energy. I suppose if power was no problem, the energy efficiency wouldn't be an issue.

A friend of mine got a crock pot recipe for lasagna off of the web, and it called for everything to be layered in raw, including noodles, ground beef and Italian sausage. It came out great!
Old 16-03-2015, 02:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
International

Check out the Wonderbag too - energy free crockpot.
Now that looks extremely efficient! I like it! I'm definitely going to get one of those soon!
Old 16-03-2015, 02:26   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hmmm -- couple of different votes for pressure cookers --

I've never used them, even on land. Maybe need to try one.

But surely that's a tool for somewhat different uses, no? Than a slow-cooked lentil stew, or beef stew, or chili, which is so good after it's been slowly simmered all day, not so?
Old 16-03-2015, 03:02   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Hmmm -- couple of different votes for pressure cookers --

I've never used them, even on land. Maybe need to try one.

But surely that's a tool for somewhat different uses, no? Than a slow-cooked lentil stew, or beef stew, or chili, which is so good after it's been slowly simmered all day, not so?
SWL is the lady to speak to about slow cooking in the pressure cooker.

I use my pressure cooker in conjunction with the Wonderbag. Bring whatever I'm cooking - meat, beans, soup etc - to high pressure then turn off the gas, tuck it up in the Wonderbag and we have a beautifully cooked, still hot meal to eat at any point from about an hour later. A meal will stay hot for several hours cooked this way and will continue to improve in flavour and tenderness.
Old 16-03-2015, 03:52   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Hi Dockhead,

You really just need to sort out your gas bottle issue.
I left last year in a hurry, and we skipped a planned stop in Dover, where I planned to buy gas. So we had one partial bottle and one empty one -- not enough for four months on board.

This year, we'll have three full ones of 4.5kg each, which I hope will be plenty. And if not, I have a Finnish propane bottle and all the bits to connect it.

On my list of spares to acquire before departure is a spare regulator, solenoid valve, and a collection of fittings. I could not believe what a PITA it was finding gas system parts in the Baltic last summer.

So I hope gas problems are behind us. But I like to have alternatives, in any case. Generals are always fighting the previous war . . .
Old 16-03-2015, 03:58   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
SWL is the lady to speak to about slow cooking in the pressure cooker.

I use my pressure cooker in conjunction with the Wonderbag. Bring whatever I'm cooking - meat, beans, soup etc - to high pressure then turn off the gas, tuck it up in the Wonderbag and we have a beautifully cooked, still hot meal to eat at any point from about an hour later. A meal will stay hot for several hours cooked this way and will continue to improve in flavour and tenderness.
The Wonderbag looks like a great concept for a boat

Maybe really a pressure cooker and this (which could be easily home made out of old winter clothes, I'm guessing).
Old 16-03-2015, 04:40   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The Wonderbag looks like a great concept for a boat

Maybe really a pressure cooker and this (which could be easily home made out of old winter clothes, I'm guessing).
Making a Fabric Stored Heat Cooker (Wonderbag)

There are several patterns for making your own Wonderbag online which are all filled with polystyrene balls or chips. I bought the foam filled bag, not sure if there are better heat retention properties or not.

A friend of mine made her own from a cool box with small polystyrene bead filled beanbags to fill the gaps. It worked fine for a year or so until she put a cast iron pan in it and melted the bottom!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: