Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 28-12-2015, 11:27   #1171
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

And lentil sprouts are delicious, slightly peppery. Any old lentils I've found in Greece sprout beautifully. I use the same method as described by SWL above but I don't add any weight - maybe I should try that next time.
Old 29-12-2015, 21:37   #1172

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I think the translation is good We call these bean sprouts "taugé" which is a malaysian word AFAIK.

It is important to understand that the sprouts push the whole container filled with water upwards because they are in the dark and try to grow to above ground. The weight of the container is what makes them thick (strong).

I started doung this method when I read how the Chinese do this: they put the beans in a sort of flat barrel, with a lid on that and a pile of rocks on top of that lid. I turned that into a modern version with the pre-soak and 12-hour rinse periods. The darkness and weight is from the Chinese story
Thanks for checking out my summary Nick.
Your technique for weighing down the sprouts in a modern adaptation of the traditional Chinese method is a clever one. I like bright ideas like this .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 23:51   #1173
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Ahoy NornaBiron,

We too have noticed that modifications may be needed; I even notice a difference among the mung beans I bought. My post and pictures are from our time in Curacao in the Caribbean, so tropical summer weather as well, but with cooling tradewinds
I had problems with drying out until I switched to the containers in the pictures with just the single row of holes around the bottom and placing them in a dark, "cool" cabinet.
I did experiment more with the weight and it seems you can't put on too much. I now switched to using a fully filled container from the start, which gives the taugé as thick as what we know from home.

I am an engineer so the whole method is also designed to be as little work as possible More rinsing is okay I think except for a rest period at night. I'm learning more as I am now working on a hydroponics system for other veggies and herbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
This is pretty much the method I use for sprouts, taken from Jedi's original post several years ago.

I've made a few modifications though! In the summer heat of the Mediterranean the sprouts need rinsing three and sometimes four times a day or they will dry out. The soaking process only needs to be 8 hours too or the beans start to ferment in the heat. I usually find that I need to add a big fat book to the sprouting tier to encourage thick sprouts, the water tray never seems to be quite heavy enough. Once harvested, I keep the sprouts, dried as much as possible, wrapped loosely in kitchen paper in a plastic tub in the fridge. The sprouts grow in a couple of days in the middle of summer so I use them pretty quick and usually have a new tray started as soon as I harvest the last.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 02:01   #1174
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Ahoy NornaBiron,

We too have noticed that modifications may be needed; I even notice a difference among the mung beans I bought. My post and pictures are from our time in Curacao in the Caribbean, so tropical summer weather as well, but with cooling tradewinds
I had problems with drying out until I switched to the containers in the pictures with just the single row of holes around the bottom and placing them in a dark, "cool" cabinet.
I did experiment more with the weight and it seems you can't put on too much. I now switched to using a fully filled container from the start, which gives the taugé as thick as what we know from home.

I am an engineer so the whole method is also designed to be as little work as possible More rinsing is okay I think except for a rest period at night. I'm learning more as I am now working on a hydroponics system for other veggies and herbs
Everything is a learning curve! I don't have a cool cupboard for the sprouts so they get covered with a dark cloth but that may not be dark enough. I put two hefty recipe books on top of the top water container and the sprouts still grow wonderfully - they are amazingly strong when trying to reach the light. My container is just like yours - I wanted great results so followed your original instructions faithfully - so much better than sprouting in a jar.

Thanks for posting the details, I look forward to hearing about the hydroponics
Old 30-12-2015, 02:39   #1175
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Wottie, you are such a BAD influence. My finger hovered over the "Buy" button for a while before I guiltily hit it, only to be saved by the fact that they do not ship overseas .

SWL
PM a delivery addy and your fixer will fix it…

I dunno about bad; reckon you got withdrawals
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 11:55   #1176
Marine Service Provider

I made a vegetable biryani today and added paneer to boost the protein content. Although not vegan, paneer is a truly boat friendly product , made easily from store cupboard ingredients.

Heat 1 litre of whole or semi-skimmed milk to boilng. Reduce heat to lowest setting, gradually add up to 3 tbsp lemon juice/white vinegar/yoghurt , stir continuously. Remove from heat as soon as milk starts to curdle and pour into a colander lined with muslin. Fold muslin over to encase the curds and place a weight on top. Leave to drain for 15 minutes. Unwrap the cheese and cut into chunks to use in curries.

I saved the whey and used it to cook the rice.

I used semi-skimmed UHT milk and yielded 130g of paneer. The expected yield is 180-220g from each litre milk. I'll use fresh semi-skimmed and then whole milk next tkme to see if there is any difference.
Old 05-01-2016, 16:15   #1177

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large

The latest bean sprout method - Milk carton in the cabinet.
Much easier than the jar method and I was able to repurpose a milk carton.
This is day 5 or 6, but I put too many mung beans in the carton so I went ahead and harvested them early. They are done, just a little short, taste great.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1452039117818.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	116257   Click image for larger version

Name:	1452039137192.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	116258  

Cherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:17   #1178
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
The latest bean sprout method - Milk carton in the cabinet.
Much easier than the jar method and I was able to repurpose a milk carton.
This is day 5 or 6, but I put too many mung beans in the carton so I went ahead and harvested them early. They are done, just a little short, taste great.

Your picture shows beansprouts that look much like the jar method but I think the jar works much faster. The pic also shows the difference with taugé as we make it with the dark place and weighted down. Just compare it with this pic:

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 17:40   #1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Always plenty of choccy and SM stuff on board, but this site is PG rated .

LOL, good one .

It is recipes, not ratings we want though. Let's see if a wholesome, non scary title can coax members to share a few favourites and spread the pleasure around .

SWL

pg rating leaves me out as i have no parents to guide me they are long gone.
So, the plan is tyo open this up to MEAT<smile>.........humm, with the old title meat would mean a different thing that it does with our new, PG rated name.
censorship of any kind for any reason is always evil serving only those wishing to enslave others
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 17:41   #1180

Boat: dinghies and monohulls small and large

These were five day sprouts. Really crisp and sweet. If I used less beans to start with they would have been longer and I could have gone up to 6-7days. I will try that next time. It was a lot less work than the jar method, darker and offered weight.

Cherise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 17:53   #1181

Quote:
And lentil sprouts are delicious, slightly peppery. Any old lentils I've found in Greece sprout beautifully. I use the same method as described by SWL above but I don't add any weight - maybe I should try that next time.
lentils are always great. Thanks for reminding me of spouts.
Old 06-01-2016, 21:56   #1182
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Jasmine Rice is my favourite.

A bowl of steaming rice with Marmite on it.. Yum!

Ok... I fibbed about the Marmite.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 23:55   #1183
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
lentils are always great. Thanks for reminding me of spouts.
You're welcome
Old 07-01-2016, 19:11   #1184

Quote:
You're welcome
trouble is waiting for them to sprout when your hungry.

So while i wait i made this for din din today

I've been chopping up a couple of yellow onions tossing them into a big cast iron skillet with a sprinkle of olive oil on medium haet. Then while the onions are cooking a chop up some cabbage, a carrot or two with a couple of sticks of celery other odds and ends like maybe a habenero pepper, bell pepper then into the pan and leaved covered stiring occasionally untill done to your taste. Oh, almost forgot i also add some Bragg's Aminos to taste. Braggs aminos are simply veggie protein, soybeans fermented into a soy sauce emulating liquid. Tastes salty but has no salt only whats in the soy and veggie protein naturally. Makes a simple nuitritious dish that fills you up but not out. Since meat id allowed now I ate mine with six onces of salmon and a slice of sprouted grain bread.
You want the onions to begin to carmelize a bit as this adds flavor. Thge above is a good tasty way to use most any veggies. Opps, today I added the last of the broccoli to the skillet also
Old 20-01-2016, 09:42   #1185
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I made a vegetable biryani today and added paneer to boost the protein content. Although not vegan, paneer is a truly boat friendly product , made easily from store cupboard ingredients.

Heat 1 litre of whole or semi-skimmed milk to boilng. Reduce heat to lowest setting, gradually add up to 3 tbsp lemon juice/white vinegar/yoghurt , stir continuously. Remove from heat as soon as milk starts to curdle and pour into a colander lined with muslin. Fold muslin over to encase the curds and place a weight on top. Leave to drain for 15 minutes. Unwrap the cheese and cut into chunks to use in curries.

I saved the whey and used it to cook the rice.

I used semi-skimmed UHT milk and yielded 130g of paneer. The expected yield is 180-220g from each litre milk. I'll use fresh semi-skimmed and then whole milk next tkme to see if there is any difference.
I made paneer again today. This time I used 1 litre of UHT whole milk and yielded 170g. The only other difference was that I allowed the milk and lemon juice to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes (off the heat) before pouring into the straining cloth.

I'll try again with fresh milk to see if I can get a better yield.