Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 09:00   #751

re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

I love the Guinness addition to rye bread! Seems like a nod to local ingredients that gives birth to a new recipe.

I got a laugh out of your marketing ploy..vegans make great lovers, indeed.
sailboat chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:47   #752

Vegans Make Good Lovers aka ' Good Boat Recipes '

To put things into perspective - when we are talking "clearing" agents, it is in connection with boiled, unfiltered coffee. A virtually unknown stimulant for a generation brought up on refined espresso variants. You could hide anything in that kind of coffee.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
akkebeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:06   #753

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailboat chef View Post
Sex certainly sells .

No one was contributing any recipes or even responding to the thread when it originally had the boring title of "Favourite plant based boat recipes".

My quest started after one summer with scant availability of fresh dairy and meat. Veggies were still accessible from farmers. Having a raft of good plant recipes to choose from has been invaluable (particularly those based on ingredients that store indefinitely without refrigeration). I am enjoying the food so much that I'm now cooking with pulses more and more, even when I don't have to. They are a brilliant boat staple!

I've loved testing out some of the recipes members have posted here. Thanks everyone .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:28   #754

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Tonic syrup

Here is the tonic syrup recipe, perfected over several trials.

WARNING: Cinchona bark contains quinine and may have side effects, even in small quantities eg:
cinchona: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

The bark can be found in select stores selling tea or herbs. Online it is available in the US from Penn Herb Company and in the UK from Amazon.

Used with soda water, the syrup makes tonic water, a staple ingredient in gin and tonics, hence my interest . Lots of recipes can be found online. Details of these and the tale of how the below recipe evolved can be found in this thread:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ge-137248.html

TONIC SYRUP (trial 4 - best by far)

5 cups water
¼ cup cut cinchona bark
3 whole cardamom pods, split open and seeds scraped out
4 whole allspice berries, bashed with a hammer
½ teaspoon dried coriander seeds, bashed with a hammer
1 teaspoon dried lemongrass
½ teaspoon dried lavender flowers
1 tsp crushed dried lemon verbena
¼ cup citric acid
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup lemon/lime extract*

½ cup gin (to increase the keeping quality)

Sugar Syrup
1 cup ordinary white sugar
1 cup boiling water
(you may need more, as most recipes called for at least 2 cups of sugar)

*Lemon/lime extract is made using the finely grated rind of one lemon and one lime for every half cup of vodka or gin, letting it sit for a week shaking daily, then straining with a tea strainer and filtering with a coffee filter. I am currently making this up in litre quantities (it has lots of uses in cooking and makes an excellent limoncello), so I have plenty on hand.
I would do the same with fresh lemongrass if available and use that instead of dried.

- Bring the water and cinchona to boil, simmer 30 minutes
- Meanwhile mix the sugar and boiling water together and put aside to dissolve and cool
- When the cinchona is nearly done, throw in the cardamom pods & seeds plus allspice and coriander seeds and continue simmering a few minutes
- Take off heat, cool a few minutes, add lemongrass, lavender and lemon verbena and leave 10-15 minutes (definitely no longer).
- Strain using a sieve then a tea strainer
- Add the citric acid and salt and stir to dissolve
- Cool then filter using a coffee filter and funnel (to speed up the process have two funnels running)
- Add lemon/lime extract and sugar syrup to taste and filter again (filters quickly this time)
- Add half a cup (or more) of gin and bottle.

SWL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	326.9 KB
ID:	101846  

Old 12-05-2015, 22:22   #755

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you want a sublime G&T and don't have the time or inclination to mix your own syrup, they are available commercially, even downunder .

This is an Aussie product, but at least half a dozen others are available in the US:
About - Blood Moon Tonic

Old 17-05-2015, 10:51   #756

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lemon tahini dressing

Scores of recipes for this are cropping up with rave reports, so I thought it was about time I checked out what all the fuss was about. I put together a mix I thought would appeal to me using a high proportion of lemon juice a low proportion of oil.

Verdict: creamy, intensely lemony and just delicious . Perfect boat food - all ingredients keep well long term unrefrigerated.

LEMON TAHINI DRESSING

¼ cup tahini
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ cup lemon juice
rind 1 lemon
1 tsp salt, freshly ground
½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground

Combine everything in a glass jar and mash the tahini with a spoon until it has "dissolved". Leave for a few hours for the flavours to blend, shaking occasionally. Lots of recipes indicate water is needed to bring this to the right consistency. I didn't find this to be the case, but I guess it depends on your tahini.

It was used on my Summer Salad tonight (recipe follows).

I had drizzled most of it over the salad before I remembered to snap a shot . This actually makes almost a cup of dressing:
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	163
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	102251  

Old 17-05-2015, 13:05   #757

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailboat chef View Post
I love the Guinness addition to rye bread! Seems like a nod to local ingredients that gives birth to a new recipe.

But its a falsehood,vegan's lack stamina and taste funny
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 13:07   #758

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkebeng View Post
To put things into perspective - when we are talking "clearing" agents, it is in connection with boiled, unfiltered coffee. A virtually unknown stimulant for a generation brought up on refined espresso variants. You could hide anything in that kind of coffee.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
whats a, 'clearing agent"?
Old 17-05-2015, 13:23   #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Sex certainly sells .

No one was contributing any recipes or even responding to the thread when it originally had the boring title of "Favourite plant based boat recipes".

My quest started after one summer with scant availability of fresh dairy and meat. Veggies were still accessible from farmers. Having a raft of good plant recipes to choose from has been invaluable (particularly those based on ingredients that store indefinitely without refrigeration). I am enjoying the food so much that I'm now cooking with pulses more and more, even when I don't have to. They are a brilliant boat staple!

I've loved testing out some of the recipes members have posted here. Thanks everyone .

SWL
First of all there isn't anything edible that can't be preserved without refrigeration. Read; The Art of Fermentation, by Katz. He has ways of preserving most foods in his book, then if that isn't enough you can always use a God given resource, the sun, to cure and preserve most any meat. I would likely list milk as one of the harder things to preserve in the tropics, again, that is unless you resort to that God given tool the sun.

If you live at the dock as most do i can see meat as an issue but for me in the Pacific Northwest there was always something to catch swinging on the hook, crab, rockfish. I've eaten so much crab they have become a last resort. The issue for me has never been meat it is usually veggies that are scarce on the water. Not many veggie patches out there mostly kelp
Old 17-05-2015, 14:43   #760

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
whats a, 'clearing agent"?
Aka "finings"

Finings - Wikipedia

"
Finings[note 1] are substances that are usually added at or near the completion of the processing of brewing wine, beer, and various nonalcoholic juice beverages. Their purpose is for removal of organic compounds; to either improve clarity or adjust flavor/aroma. Specifically, the removed compounds may be sulfides, proteins, polyphenols, benzenoids, or copper ions. Unless they form a stable bottom sediment in the final container, the spent finings are usually discarded from the beverage along with the target compounds that they capture.
Historically, various substances such as egg whites, blood, milk, isinglass, and Irish moss have been used as finings. These are still used by some producers, but more modern substances have also been introduced and are more widely used, including bentonite, gelatin, casein, carrageenan, alginate, diatomaceous earth, pectinase, pectolase[disambiguation needed], PVPP (Polyclar), kieselsol (colloidal silica), copper sulfate, dried albumen, hydrated yeast, and activated carbon.[citation needed]"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 15:14   #761

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If you live at the dock as most do i can see meat as an issue but for me in the Pacific Northwest there was always something to catch swinging on the hook, crab, rockfish. I've eaten so much crab they have become a last resort. The issue for me has never been meat it is usually veggies that are scarce on the water. Not many veggie patches out there mostly kelp
You would go hungry here in the Med .

Old 17-05-2015, 15:20   #762

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Summer salad

This is a very flexible recipe that I make commonly in summer. I have given a couple of examples of it last year in post #439 & #448.

SUMMER SALAD

The basic ingredients are:
1 cup of grains (eg barley, wheat, cracked wheat etc) or seeds (eg quinoa) cooked in 2 cups water or stock
1 cup dried beans (eg navy, kidney, black-eyed) or chickpeas or lentils, or a 400g tin, drained & rinsed
1 red onion
1 cup chopped herbs (eg parsley, dill, basil, mint, coriander) plus a handful of tips to scatter on top
Slices of fresh fruit (eg 1 peach, nectarine, a few apricots)
A veg or two or three (eg capsicum for crunch, carrot, tomato, avocado, blanched beans or snow peas, asparagus, cold cooked sweet potato etc)
Handful of nuts or seeds can be scattered on top

It is two weeks short of summer, but luscious stone fruit is already appearing for sale . The mercury is rising and as all thoughts of soup have gone out the window, it was time for my first summer salad for the year. I usually use a lemon and oil dressing, but substituted this for the lemon tahini dressing.

The combo tonight was:
Lentils (rinsed, covered in water, 4 bay leaves added, brought to pressure, left an hour then drained and dried slightly on a paper towel)
Barley (cooked in a thermos, drained and also dried slightly)
Peach
Tomatoes
Green capsicum
Avocado
Parsley
(I forgot the usual red onion)
Lemon tahini dressing (see previous post)

Yum . Roll on summer .
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	159
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	102273  

Old 17-05-2015, 16:26   #763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
You would go hungry here in the Med .
Wouldn't't hurt me a bit I've turned into the Pillsbury doughboy the last 18 months.
Your in the Mediterranean? I've heard its kind of a lifeless polluted sea but I've also heard they are working to fix that. Is that correct? Are you familiar with Rimas, the Russian guy saying around the blue ball in an SJ24? He made a comment after his second demasting off California that the highest quality food he has ever experienced was from the central valley of Ca. I keep a house in, actually two houses in Sacramento Ca. because I love the availability of high quality FRESH meat and veggies of all varieties that you can find pretty much year round. Ca. invented the organic standard which most others used as a template. USDA organic is a joke compared to the original Ca. organic standard. I was at the farmers market today filled with fresh picked, harvested foods. There were at least six kinds of carrots, several kinds of beets, maybe ten different potatoes at least twenty different kinds of mushrooms, maybe thirty different kinds of lettuce, chard, the list would cover a couple of pages without even getting to the meats which range from exotic game birds, fish, ungulates,Buffalo, etc.. The place really spoils you and it keeps calling me back. You get to buy everything right from the people that produce them
Old 18-05-2015, 02:54   #764

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I was at the farmers market today filled with fresh picked, harvested foods. There were at least six kinds of carrots, several kinds of beets, maybe ten different potatoes at least twenty different kinds of mushrooms, maybe thirty different kinds of lettuce, chard, the list would cover a couple of pages
Nirvava .
Here on the little islands shopping for veggies is simply "buy anything I am lucky enough to find". Meals can't be preplanned, I just need to find recipes to deal with whatever is for sale.

The only upside is that much of the produce is sourced from small growers on the island and is picked at its prime and bought not long after picking.

Old 18-05-2015, 03:00   #765

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wheat

I hadn't cooked whole wheat at home before commencing cruising, but it is a close substitute for chewy barley that I love (I was fed barley soup often as a youngster), so I've been using it regularly the last few years. With labels being mainly in Greek, I had no idea exactly what it was I had been buying here, all I could say is that it looks like wheat .

I frequently trip over recipes calling for all sorts of grains such as wheat berries, farro, spelt, emmer etc that I am unfamiliar with, so particularly given I am about to run out of barley possibly indefinitely and whole wheat is readily available here, I decided to educate myself a little .

Here is a brief run down of what I learned about wheat:

Basically the first four are all types of whole wheat that has simply been hulled leaving the bran and germ components intact. This leaves the bits richest in proteins, vitamins, minerals and fibre intact (these are removed leaving just the endosperm when white flour is made).

wheat berries = triticum aestivum = "common" wheat; makes up over 90% of wheat grown; softer outer hull means it can be removed by threshing making it a cheap crop; most white flour is made from the endosperm of this
spelt = dinkel = triticum spelta; one of the earliest domestic crops, grown for around 7 millennia
emmer = triticum dicoccum; another ancient crop; grown commonly in Italy
einkorn = triticum monococcum (domestic) or confusingly also triticum baeoticum (wild form); probably beats spelt's domestication by another 3 millennia); tended to be grown in the colder conditions of northern Europe; has been resurrected as a "health food" after a century or so of not being grown much
farro = botanically a general term for spelt, emmer and eikhorn, but confusingly in various countries it may just commonly denote just one these (eg in Italy farro = emmer)
durum = triticum durum; grinding the endosperm produces a "strong" flour excellent for pasta and bread although its low gluten content means it is not usually used on its own in breadmaking
semolina = coarsely ground granules of the endosperm of durum
couscous = roughly 2 parts semolina with 1 part durum flour mixed with water and rolled to form pellets and dried (akin to pasta); very quick cooking
bulgur = steamed and cracked wheat (usually durum); long shelf life
cracked wheat = just cracked, not steamed wheat (needs a longer cooking time than bulgur)
freekeh = wheat picked while green, dry roasted with the hull, then hull removed; can be sold cracked
groats = a general term for the hulled kernels of various grains such as wheat, oat, rye, barley etc.

So spelt is a type of farro and groat and is not a new trendy grain. Farro are groats, but not all groats are farro. And just to do your head in, bulgur is wheat that has been cracked, but something labelled 'cracked wheat' is not bulgur. No wonder I was confused before .

Armed with this info I examined my bags of wheat more carefully. The only thing written in English is 'Peeled Hard Wheat', but the German 'Abgezogener hartweizen' is also included and this translates to 'Honed durum wheat'. Not wheat berries at all, as I had first assumed.

Glad I have that all straightened out .
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	240
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	102286