Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 31-03-2015, 11:53   #661

re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Marmalade is a good option. I only have excess lemon juice/flesh (the rind is used up in making lemon extract), but combined with the juice and rind of a sweeter citrus like mandarin it should work well.
I am chock-a-block full of marmalade at the moment though (see an earlier recipe here for easy grapefruit and mandarin marmalade - that is to die for ).

SWL
grapefruit marmalade?.... Must have missed that one...I've never liked marmalade but i love grapefruit.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 12:00   #662

The vanilla after a day, the five day old lemon rind after a day in extra gin and the filtered lemon essence. I need to find small containers though, so that the air space is reduced:[/QUOTE]

Good idea or you risk anerobic fermentation which can impart an off taste to your tincture, infusion. If you like you can pasturize or can can your finished product to kill the organisums that may mess with your handy work but that in itself because of the high temp could also change the taste.....I guess your fate is to keep tasting ......
Ahhh...you can freeze it then no need to can or pasturize. Freezing is not usually an option abour a small boat so i just you will just have to bite the bullent and do lotsa tastin<smile>
Old 31-03-2015, 17:43   #663

Boat: Still building

Perhaps the most obvious dish for potato and cauliflower is Aloo Gobi, a staple of Indian veggo cuisine. I know Beverley already submitted a recipe for aloo, but this one includes the spuds and a bit more detail.

My Dad joined the Hari Krishnas for awhile back in the eighties, and this was one of his staples that he could whack out without thinking about it. I've made it a cuppla times and it's pretty simple. Just remember to check it as it will stick if you don't watch it!

Aloo Gobi
600 g cauliflower florets
400 g waxy potatoes
4 cm fresh ginger
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp ghee or frying oil
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garam masala
400 g tin chopped tomatoes
salt and freshly ground pepper
coriander/cilantro leaves, chopped, to garnish

Chop cauliflower into florets no larger than the size of a golf ball. Peel the potatoes andchop into 3cm chunks. Peel and grate the ginger. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Heat the ghee/oil in a large frying pan and briefly sweat the cauliflower. Remove from pan and set aside.

Add the potatoes and fry, stirring, until golden brown. Then add the ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper and garam masala and fry briefly. Add the tomatoes and approximately 150 ml water and season with a little salt. Return cauliflower to pan.

Cover and cook gently for 30–40 minutes. Add a little more water if necessary and gently stir from time to time. Finally season to taste with salt and pepper and serve garnished with fresh coriander/cilantro.
European/continental parsley is fine if you can't get fresh coriander/cilantro, but be sure to add some dried coriander for the flavour.

Goes well on its own, or with rice if you wish to 'push' the quantity to feed more people, and is great as a side dish with any meat dish from steak to curry.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 16:53   #664

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Well I've run out of deer meat and alligator meat is just way too expensive down here in Florida.

So it's time to explore the vegetarian options. This spelt salad is absolutely fabulous either by itself or as part of a meal. It is also a great way to get rid of some of those veggies hang around the refrigerator.

Ingredients include spelt soaked for 24 hours and then cooked at low heat for 1 hour. Added can of chickpeas, or if you prefer soaked and cooked dried chickpeas. Then add Moroccan lemons for the tang and the salt.

For those of you who don't know what Moroccan lemons are, it's simply taking lemons cutting them in quarters or smaller if you have a large lemons, and then stuff into a glass jar with coarse salt kosher salt or similar to it. Rotate daily, and you should have pickled Moroccan lemons ready to use in about a three week timeframe.

Fabulous! And useful in so many ways.

Back to the spelt salad. Now one gets inventive. I usually add diced onion, and finally cut up peppers. From here on in, one can add sliced olives, raw asparagus, and even a fruit like mangoes. Be adventuresome.

Here is an example from the week end ( ignore the slowly barbecued pork ribs slathered in home made BBQ sauce), and BBQ summer squash.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1427932333531.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	99843  
Old 01-04-2015, 20:04   #665

whats a waxy potatoe? What is garam masala?
Thanks, I'm icthing to try this one
Old 01-04-2015, 23:20   #666

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Waxy potatoes have smooth, dense flesh that's hold there shape when cooked as opposed to floury potatoes that go crumbly or turn to mush. Good for boiling, potato salads etc. Floury ones are better for mashing or baking. Specific types depend on where you are (there are thousands of potato varieties around the world).

Garam Masala is- a blend of hot and aromatic spices used frequently in indian cuisines. You can buy various commercial varieties.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 00:48   #667

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

I have added the three new recipes to the index.
All interesting additions:

- Olives marinated with rosemary (obviously leave out the anchovies if vegan )
- Aloo gobi
- Spelt & chickpea salad

I have an improved version of the Spelt salad photo though :
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	99846  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:56   #668

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

My camera had it in sharper focus

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-04-2015, 23:47   #669

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Crème de Cacao (chocolate liqueur)

Inspired by the success of the lemon essence and then reading Sailor g's recipe for coffee liqueur, a week ago I thought I would give chocolate liqueur a whirl. Although I would have said I am not a fan of liqueurs simply to drink (they are fantastic in cakes and desserts), even without waiting for maturity, I can tell this one is going to be a very good actual substitute for dessert when a special occasion calls for one .

Use the best cocoa powder you can find. For me, this is Green & Black's. Anyone have a better alternative? This is apparently even better made with cocoa nibs instead of powder, but I can't source any nibs. If nibs are used, the amount seems to be roughly half the amount of alcohol in cups.

CRÈME DE CACAO (chocolate liqueur)

½ cup sugar (this is 1/6 of some recipes, so adjust the quantity to taste)
¾ cup water
¾ cup Green & Black's (or Dutch) cocoa
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 cups (750 ml) vodka or gin (moderately good quality)

- Mix the first 3 ingredients and stir until the sugar has dissolved
- Strain through a fine tea strainer, pushing the thick stuff through with a spoon
- Add vanilla and vodka and strain again into a litre bottle without helping it through (there should be almost no residue at this stage, but this does give a finer finish)
- Let steep for a 4-8 weeks in a cool dark spot, shaking daily

I plan to leave it 5 weeks this time so that the finished product ties in with a birthday on board ) and this is what I will do then:
- Let sit undisturbed for 1 week
- Slowly pour off the liquid being careful not to stir up the sediment (discard this)
Some recipes suggested then filtering it through a coffee filter, but cautioned that it took hours. I may try to do this with a little and see how much difference it makes. Setting up several filters at once would speed things up.

A couple of mixed drinks the Crème de Cacao can also be used for:

Brandy Alexander:
Not something I have often, but I have a soft spot for these, mainly for nostalgic reasons . My first one (and the first time I had any alcohol in public) was at the age of sweet sixteen on my first weekend away on the slopes. Decades have passed and I still remember the absolute thrill of a day's skiing, the walk through the snow in the dark in my brand new après ski boots, the cosy timber lined Austrian restaurant, the dumplings and schnitzel and crepes and the meal finished with a Brandy Alexander in a cocktail glass and the sheer contentment .

1 shot (30 ml = 1 oz) Crème de Cacao
1 shot (30 ml = 1 oz) brandy
1 shot (30 ml = 1 oz) cream (could substitute with coconut cream for a tropical version)
- Shake well and pour in a martini glass
- Serve with a dash of grated nutmeg on top

A new experience for me to try when this chocolate liqueur has matured:
Chocolate Martini:
½ shot (15 ml = ½ oz) Crème de Cacao
2 shots (60 ml = 2 oz) vodka

The delphiniums are wild ones found by the acre on this volvanic island. Spring is an absolutely magic time of year in Greece:
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	143
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	99888  

Old 03-04-2015, 18:21   #670

A Chocolate Martini sounds wonderful for dessert drink-shaken not stirred. Couldn't resist the James Bond reference.

P.S.-the flowers and vase are beautiful!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 18:23   #671

Last night, I had little in the fridge and had a major craving for greens. So, I used what I had and it was delicious.

Cannellini Beans with Greens

1. Add 1 Tbsp. Olive oil in pan
2. Add 2-3 cloves of garlic chopped per can of beans. Sauté until soft.
3. Add bunch of spinach or other greens (swiss chard would be good) and sauté until starting to wilt.
4. Add can of Cannellini Beans.
5. Add zest of 1 lemon and a bit of the juice (if desired) to brighten flavor.

Stir to combine. Serve and enjoy!
Old 03-04-2015, 19:18   #672

Middle Eastern Stuffed Cabbage Roll

1 Tbs. olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
¾ cup dried French or green lentils
8 large cabbage leaves, ribs removed (savoy is good)
⅓ cup dried currants
½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, quartered
3 Tbs. lemon juice, divided
1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 ½ tsp. dried marjoram
¼ tsp. ground allspice

1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 3 minutes. Add garlic, and cook 30 seconds. Add lentils and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
2. Bring pot of water to a boil. Blanch cabbage leaves 6 minutes, or until tender. Rinse under cold water, and drain.
3. Mash half of lentil mixture in bowl. Stir in remaining lentils, currants, olives, and 1 Tbs. lemon juice.
4. Combine tomato sauce, 1/2 cup water, remaining 2 Tbs. lemon juice, cumin, marjoram, and allspice in bowl. Spray 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray, then coat bottom with 1/2 cup sauce.
5. Lay 1 cabbage leaf on work surface. Spoon 1/3 cup lentil mixture in center of leaf, fold sides inward, and roll tightly. Place seam side down in dish. Repeat with remaining leaves and filling. Pour remaining sauce over rolls; cover with foil.
Bake cabbage rolls, covered, 1 hour. Uncover, baste with sauce, bake 10 minutes more, and serve.

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1428113930.656120.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	99935
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1428113902.422969.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	99934  
Old 04-04-2015, 09:59   #673

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Middle Eastern Stuffed Cabbage Roll

1 Tbs. olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
¾ cup dried French or green lentils
8 large cabbage leaves, ribs removed (savoy is good)
⅓ cup dried currants
½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, quartered
3 Tbs. lemon juice, divided
1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 ½ tsp. dried marjoram
¼ tsp. ground allspice
Looks yum! I love cabbage rolls. Almost every nation has their own version. Here in Greece it is Dolmades. They are commonly made with cabbage leaves instead of vine leaves and are often meatless, instead filled with rice, sautéed onion, dill, parsley and pine nuts, then served with a squeeze of lemon juice. They are a popular dish at the moment, as it is Lent and they tick all the boxes when it comes to permissible food.

I must try your lentil version at some stage, but will probably add some cooked rice to the filling .

SWL

Old 04-04-2015, 11:14   #674

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pumpkin chickpea curry

We are currently anchored off an uninhabited island and it has been eleven days since I have hit any shops. I am down to the veggies with longevity (potatoes, onions, pumpkin, cabbage etc). This is one of the recipes that is so very useful then - all ingredients keep weeks unrefrigerated. A perfect boat recipe .

The flavours are soft, but complex. This fragrant curry is definitely not one that leaves you gasping and reaching for water .

Cooking chickpeas takes literally only minutes of labour (and consumes minimal gas if you use my method), but needs to be thought of the day before you need them. Dried chickpeas keep indefinitely and take up little space and weight. Cheap and packed with protein they are a great staple to have on board.

PUMPKIN CHICKPEA CURRY

1 mug chickpeas
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
1 more tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon cumin, ground
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon dried chilli
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 mugs vegetable stock
1.5 kg pumpkin, peeled, chopped
1 thumb sized piece ginger, peeled and finely grated
400ml coconut milk

Garnish:
Roasted pumpkin seeds (or a mix of seeds)
Coriander or continental parsley (none in this instance)

- Soak chickpeas overnight in cold water
- Drain, rinse, cover in fresh water in a pressure cooker and bring to pressure
- Turn off heat, leave sealed for an hour or two, drain and rinse
(or just use a couple of tins of drained and rinsed chick peas)
- Sauté garlic and onion until golden
- Combine the spices
- Push the onions to one side, add the extra oil and heat (I tip the pot a little so the oil does not run into the onions)
- Add the spices and stir 2-3 minutes
- Mix in with the onion and cook a few more minutes
- Add the stock, pumpkin, ginger and coconut milk
- Bring to pressure
- Turn off the heat and leave sealed a couple of hours or longer
- Bring to the boil and simmer a few minutes
- Seal immediately in three 750ml glass jar (this is one of those lovely recipes that improves even further with standing)
- Use within a few days. I usually mash some of the pumpkin and chickpeas roughly with a fork just to thicken up the sauce.

If you up the liquid this makes a good soup.

Serve with rice garnished with lots of roasted pumpkin seeds and coriander. The crunchy seeds add a good contrast of texture.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	173
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	99963  

Old 05-04-2015, 10:14   #675

Vegans Make Good Lovers aka ' Good Boat Recipes '

Love the photo of the curry! I adore curries-especially if it has some heat. The seeds on top would be great. Sometimes I use pumpkin or squash so I can have the seeds.

I am used to rice (and meat from my Italian relatives) in my cabbage rolls too but got a bunch of lentils so looking for ways to use! I am using the index for new ways too! Love that index. So easy to use