Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 01:56   #226

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Ummm....

We'd need others to supply pics of what they cooked up.....

And you'd need to check with the Chief Mod Squad gurus to see if it is possible to retrospectively add pics to posts......

So maybe check that's do-able, and see how we go from there.

I'm thinking a "mod. locked" Sticky thread called "Online Cruisers Cookbook" where we could amalgamate recipes and their respective photos, but only the mods could do so, and that way it would not contain any chatter.

We'd confine chatter and such to THIS thread, and simply extract the "Recipe Gold".

But as I ain't no moderator.....I cain't do it.

You still there, SL..?? Hello..?? SL...???

Hmmmmmm. It sounds like a hell of a lot of work LOL. Any other votes for this? And are you thinking general cookbook (there are heaps of these about), or just vegan or vegetarian?

Attaching pics retrospectively is not a problem. If anyone would like to post a photo, I am happy to attach it to the original post if they indicate they would like this done .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:55   #227

Boat: AMF Sunfish, Hobie One,(Holder 14) Rhodes Conntenetal 22 and Sea-Ray, Ski Ray 180.

Sailfast, are you saying that chemicals are food?

"colour and flavor that come from chemicals are not food. They are food additives."

I don't believe chemicals should even be considered food additives. But then WHATEVER you add to food would be an additive. Here is a question or two: Have you ever seen maggots in "food additives"? If left sitting and it doesn't even attract flies, should we be attracted to it for food?
William A. Ward
puregeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:24   #228

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by puregeorge View Post
Sailfast, are you saying that chemicals are food?

"colour and flavor that come from chemicals are not food. They are food additives."

I don't believe chemicals should even be considered food additives. But then WHATEVER you add to food would be an additive. Here is a question or two: Have you ever seen maggots in "food additives"? If left sitting and it doesn't even attract flies, should we be attracted to it for food?
You are taking what I wrote out of context and changing the message. My intended message is that chemicals are not food and don't belong in food.

You're preaching to the choir.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 14:59   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Good suggestion .
I have compiled an index and made this the first post in the thread.

The Zucchini chocolate cake recipe was moved to this thread (post #8) after complaints about the inclusion of non vegan recipes :
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ke-116488.html
Howdy< big mischievous mile>....Thank you very much but I have already found it and taken the plunge. As a result I have decided your new name is, Sassy Lassie...anyone that posts a recipe that is almost impossible to complete cause the cook eats up the batter before it even goes into the oven definitely, has that sparkle in her eye befitting a more amorous handle don't you think? I have never tasted cake batter that was so good..

I did finally manage to fill a six inch pan and its in the oven can't wait to see what it tastes like. No dishes they were cleaned by the cook...chuckle...

Britt

opps, maybe this post is in the wrong thread??
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 16:07   #230

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Hmmmmmm. It sounds like a hell of a lot of work LOL. Any other votes for this? And are you thinking general cookbook (there are heaps of these about), or just vegan or vegetarian?

Attaching pics retrospectively is not a problem. If anyone would like to post a photo, I am happy to attach it to the original post if they indicate they would like this done .

LOL.....yeah, figured it would be work.....question is do you want to do it, or share it with other mods, maybe?

The problem with having a "food related" thread is that a lot of 'dross' seeps in between the nuggets of usefulness, so my suggestion was a way to 'weed out' the dross, and provide a useful resource for now and the future.

I was specifically thinking of the no-meat recipes on this thread, but there's no reason on earth why other "stickies" could not be created for different food groups.

How about, "1001 things to do with canned meats" - which could cover corned beef, SPAM, chicken, fish....

"Boat BBQ, what do you use yours for?" Roasts, grilling fish, foil-wrapped baking, as a bread oven...

"Just desserts - sweets and puddings" - reckon this one would be popular

"Boat baking - biscuits, cakes and yummy stuff" - ditto this one

So we start a thread for each, and once there's a few recipes and pics posted, start a "stickie" under the Liveaboard section to re-post "recipes only". Winnow out the dross every few months, maybe quarterly...???

Or as you go, depends on preference and available time.

We have a great resource - people - why not utilise them, and then share the results in a "useable" way.

And copyright to CF, of course.....stop lurkers snitching ideas for 'for-profit' books....

Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 16:11   #231

Quote:
LOL.....yeah, figured it would be work.....question is do you want to do it, or share it with other mods, maybe?

The problem with having a "food related" thread is that a lot of 'dross' seeps in between the nuggets of usefulness, so my suggestion was a way to 'weed out' the dross, and provide a useful resource for now and the future.

I was specifically thinking of the no-meat recipes on this thread, but there's no reason on earth why other "stickies" could not be created for different food groups.

How about, "1001 things to do with canned meats" - which could cover corned beef, SPAM, chicken, fish....

"Boat BBQ, what do you use yours for?" Roasts, grilling fish, foil-wrapped baking, as a bread oven...

"Just desserts - sweets and puddings" - reckon this one would be popular

"Boat baking - biscuits, cakes and yummy stuff" - ditto this one

So we start a thread for each, and once there's a few recipes and pics posted, start a "stickie" under the Liveaboard section to re-post "recipes only". Winnow out the dross every few months, maybe quarterly...???

Or as you go, depends on preference and available time.

We have a great resource - people - why not utilise them, and then share the results in a "useable" way.

And copyright to CF, of course.....stop lurkers snitching ideas for 'for-profit' books....

hold on here, the chocolate cake recipe is gonna turn me into a Phillsbury doughboy and if we adopt your suggestion I will soon be to big for my boat and will have to buy a wider one!....geezz...
all kidding aside your suggestion is a good one...barbecue...yum.....food....yumm yum
Old 11-12-2013, 18:30   #232

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
We are all flat out when online LOL and none of the others have revealed a passion for cooking, so I guess the task would be up to me.

Stickies are not great as they clutter up the main page and not many recent posts are then visible. Possibly just a closed thread of compiled recipes may work.

There are many boat cookbooks about, but a gap exists when it comes to easy vegetarian boat recipes and there is a gaping chasm for vegan recipes. Many people cruising have easy access to stores and freezers, but those like me who prefer isolated anchorages and have limited refrigeration (or just unexpectedly run out of stuff) sometimes find recipes without animal produce invaluable. Hence this thread.

How about we try a closed vegan/vegetarian thread that isn't a sticky and I will copy the recipes over from this thread? I will add a link indicating where to post recipes for them to be transferred over to that thread. If the thread is popular and there are frequent contributions it will automatically be bumped up. If not, it is best that it is not a sticky. The thread will be very easy to find when the search function is used.

I think that is a good starting point. Any suggestions for a title?
"CF Vegetarian / Vegan Cookbook" is nice and clear, but very boring. Including vegetarian dishes may not scare people off quite as much .

When I have some more leisure time over summer I will hunt through a few old threads and see what I can add.

Quote:

We do have a fabulous resource here .

And good recipes are simply meant to be shared around LOL (as is the food ). I hope lots more people are inspired to contribute. I have heaps more recipes to add if it is broadened to include vegetarian dishes.

Old 11-12-2013, 18:42   #233

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post

Howdy< big mischievous mile>....Thank you very much but I have already found it and taken the plunge. As a result I have decided your new name is, Sassy Lassie...anyone that posts a recipe that is almost impossible to complete cause the cook eats up the batter before it even goes into the oven definitely, has that sparkle in her eye befitting a more amorous handle don't you think? I have never tasted cake batter that was so good..

I did finally manage to fill a six inch pan and its in the oven can't wait to see what it tastes like. No dishes they were cleaned by the cook...chuckle...

Britt

opps, maybe this post is in the wrong thread??
Howdy Britt
I wondered who would manage to make this recipe without having a few spoonfuls LOL. I generally leave a generous portion in the bowl after the mixture is poured into the cake pan, and by the time the spoon is licked clean I am covered from ear to ear in chocolate mix.

PS Sassy is not a bad fit . A handful is how my husband describes me (never pays to let a man get complacent LOL). I have been told I have a very wicked twinkle in my eye .

Old 11-12-2013, 19:14   #234

Quote:
Howdy Britt
I wondered who would manage to make this recipe without having a few spoonfuls LOL. I generally leave a generous portion in the bowl after the mixture is poured into the cake pan, and by the time the spoon is licked clean I am covered from ear to ear in chocolate mix.

PS Sassy is not a bad fit . A handful is how my husband describes me (never pays to let a man get complacent LOL). I have been told I have a very wicked twinkle in my eye .

It is very tasty. Here is the result

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cture18884.jpg

No, sassy fits very well, that twinkle is not in the least bit wicked, just a trademark of your adventurous fun loving spirit. The world would be much better if all shared that same sparkle.

God bless
Old 11-12-2013, 19:43   #235

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
It is very tasty. Here is the result
Posting the photo for everyone to drool over .
Britt's Zucchini chocolate cake with orange icing:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	71949  

Old 11-12-2013, 20:33   #236

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Seaworthy Lass, Thanks for getting all these great recipes in this thread !! Of course we have added a few things we like !! "pork or chicken lol" but Connie has all the baked good recipes copyed and we look forward to tryin some of them !! We both have a sweet tooth LOL
Old 11-12-2013, 21:40   #237

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post

Seaworthy Lass, Thanks for getting all these great recipes in this thread !! Of course we have added a few things we like !! "pork or chicken lol" but Connie has all the baked good recipes copyed and we look forward to tryin some of them !! We both have a sweet tooth LOL
You're welcome . I have lots of boat cake recipes, all using olive oil and all very easy (no appliances needed, just a fork will do for whisking). All use eggs, so I have not posted them here, but they would fit in a 'Vegetarian Cookbook' thread.

It would be wonderful if you could include some of Connie's recipes when I get this started. I know she has a reputation for baking wonderful things .

Old 11-12-2013, 22:08   #238

Quote:

Stickies are not great as they clutter up the main page and not many recent posts are then visible. Possibly just a closed thread of compiled recipes may work.

There are many boat cookbooks about, but a gap exists when it comes to easy vegetarian boat recipes and there is a gaping chasm for vegan recipes. Many people cruising have easy access to stores and freezers, but those like me who prefer isolated anchorages and have limited refrigeration (or just unexpectedly run out of stuff) sometimes find recipes without animal produce invaluable. Hence this thread.

How about we try a closed vegan/vegetarian thread that isn't a sticky and I will copy the recipes over from this thread?

I think that is a good starting point. Any suggestions for a title?
"CF Vegetarian / Vegan Cookbook" is nice and clear, but very boring. Including vegetarian dishes may not scare people off quite as much .

When I have some more leisure time over summer I will hunt through a few old threads and see what I can add.

We do have a fabulous resource here .

And good recipes are simply meant to be shared around LOL (as is the food ). I hope lots more people are inspired to contribute. I have heaps more recipes to add if it is broadened to include vegetarian dishes.

Yeah I know the difficulty of being the only person around to do stuff, but there is this concept called delegation...call for volunteers and see who steps up. Bound to be a baker willing to take on the "Baking thread".

But in the meantime, yeah, a Vegan / Vegetarian Recipes 'closed thread' would be an idea.

What I actually meant by a "sticky" is more of a "sub-forum" of the "Provisioning..." thread....if that's possible with the existing software architecture.

But lets go baby steps first - see if the Vegan / Vego thing proves popular.

One thing might be good to have is a sticky post at the top (below the Index post) with links to other threads, like "this one" pointing out that that is where people have to post and / or comment, offer praise, suggestions etc, so that the "conversation" keeps going as well....

But yeah, I think vego / vegan, because there is not much "vegan only" and veggo crosses over into "omnivorous", whihc covers most people.

For a title, what about "The Non-Carnivores Cookbook: Love What You Eat."

And for the sweet things thread:

"Eat What You Love; sweets, cakes and puddings"

And for the baking thread? How about:

"Do Your Dough: Bread for boaties"

But it's probably worth checking with the gurus to see if the "sub-thread" thing is do-able, as other topics could be added as someone willing to 'nurse' them along appears.
Old 11-12-2013, 22:37   #239

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yeah I know the difficulty of being the only person around to do stuff, but there is this concept called delegation...call for volunteers and see who steps up. Bound to be a baker willing to take on the "Baking thread".

But in the meantime, yeah, a Vegan / Vegetarian Recipes 'closed thread' would be an idea.

What I actually meant by a "sticky" is more of a "sub-forum" of the "Provisioning..." thread....if that's possible with the existing software architecture.

But lets go baby steps first - see if the Vegan / Vego thing proves popular.

One thing might be good to have is a sticky post at the top (below the Index post) with links to other threads, like "this one" pointing out that that is where people have to post and / or comment, offer praise, suggestions etc, so that the "conversation" keeps going as well....

But yeah, I think vego / vegan, because there is not much "vegan only" and veggo crosses over into "omnivorous", whihc covers most people.

For a title, what about "The Non-Carnivores Cookbook: Love What You Eat."

And for the sweet things thread:

"Eat What You Love; sweets, cakes and puddings"

And for the baking thread? How about:

"Do Your Dough: Bread for boaties"

But it's probably worth checking with the gurus to see if the "sub-thread" thing is do-able, as other topics could be added as someone willing to 'nurse' them along appears.
Thanks for all your great suggestions .
For search purposes I will have to somehow incorporate the words Vegetarian and Vegan in the title.

I have put your suggestions up for discussion with the mod panel. Hoping some chefs may surface, otherwise it will be a Lone Ranger project .

Old 11-12-2013, 22:40   #240

Well, how about "The Non-Carnivores Cookbook: Vegan and Vegetarian Recipes To Love"