Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 26-11-2013, 16:09   #181

re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I also substitute honey frequently in cakes, usually using 1/2 cup when 3/4 to 1 cup of sugar is called for. It is particularly good in banana and date/fig cake recipes. It does make the cake denser though, so I find it less good for the light, moist chocolate cakes I make.

I am holding out on the second until you try the first and give me some feedback .
well the experts say we are supposed to reduce the liquid content of the recipe by 20% if using honey. Dosent work for me I use 1/2 like you but I adjust the liquids of the recipe accordingly, well almost cause when I bake I like grog<blushing smile>.... maybe that's why people always compliment me on my cooking..Or maybe they are saying thanks, we were too far gone to cook so we are happy you were still able...chuckle,
Goid bless everyone!! Happy thanksgiving
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 20:23   #182

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Choc almond cookies

Haul out and hull cleaning means treats are needed. This morning a batch of choc cookies has just come out of the oven. Occasionally I hit the jackpot when playing with recipes and this was one of those times .

SENSATIONALLY GOOD CHOC ALMOND COOKIES

1 cup sultanas
A shot of espresso or 2 tsp instant coffee
1 cup boiling water

1.5 cups instant rolled oats
1 cup very coarsely ground almonds
2 heaped tablespoons cocoa powder

2/3 cup soft brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp of the liquid from soaking the raisins
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

- Soak the raisins in the coffee and water first so that they have a chance to plump up (they need at least 5 minutes).
- Tip the oats and nuts in a bowl, then sift in the cocoa.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, 3 tbl coffee and vanilla until smooth.
- Roughly drain the raisins and add.
- Stir in the oats mixture.
- Press into 20-24 balls. They are sticky, so roughly form 24 lots then wet hands before rolling into balls and flattening slightly
- Bake at about 175°C for 10 minutes (leave undercooked in the centre).
- Cool on the tray, as they are too soft to move while hot.
- Enjoy .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	71115  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 12:44   #183

Re: Choc almond cookies

Quote:
Haul out and hull cleaning means treats are needed. This morning a batch of choc cookies has just come out of the oven. Occasionally I hit the jackpot when playing with recipes and this was one of those times .

SENSATIONALLY GOOD CHOC ALMOND COOKIES

1 cup sultanas
A shot of espresso or 2 tsp instant coffee
1 cup boiling water

1.5 cups instant rolled oats
1 cup very coarsely ground almonds
2 heaped tablespoons cocoa powder

2/3 cup soft brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp of the liquid from soaking the raisins
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

- Soak the raisins in the coffee and water first so that they have a chance to plump up (they need at least 5 minutes).
- Tip the oats and nuts in a bowl, then sift in the cocoa.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, 3 tbl coffee and vanilla until smooth.
- Roughly drain the raisins and add.
- Stir in the oats mixture.
- Press into 20-24 balls. They are sticky, so roughly form 24 lots then wet hands before rolling into balls and flattening slightly
- Bake at about 175°C for 10 minutes (leave undercooked in the centre).
- Cool on the tray, as they are too soft to move while hot.
- Enjoy .
eerrrrtrtrttrt.........I'm leaving this thread before I put on another fifty pounds just from reading all the scrumptious recipes<smile

this one looks exceptionally yummy, thanks
Old 01-12-2013, 05:07   #184

I Love this thread. I am vegetarian trying to be vegan
Tsofli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:08   #185

Its the egg good cheese and greek yoghurt that hold me. After a month or so i miss it so much i cant resist
Old 01-12-2013, 06:06   #186
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I ran across a recipe that got excellent reviews when Ive served it. Im running from memory here so the quantities would have to be adjusted to how many are going to eat.

I take a good quantity of walnuts and run through the food processor to grind up well, chunks are ok but there should be plenty ground.

brown onion and garlic in small amount of coconut oil.
add copious amount of flax oil, walnuts,more paprika than you think reasonable, salt and pepper, nutritional yeast and lower heat, as the mix tries to solidify add water untill you have a bubbly sauce consistency, It only takes a minute or two, dont overheat the flax oil as it doesnt like heat. I serve this over spaghetti squash making some mock parmesan cheese out of nut flower, nutritional yeast, salt and whatever other seasonings you like. Sometimes I throw a bunch of mushrooms in toward the end of the onion garlic browning stage. The sauce looks like a rich meaty tomato sauce strangely enough and has been mistaken for tomato sauce by guests. I never use exact recipes and I guess my attempt at a recipe shows it. Great thread. thanks for the recipes to all who have contributed.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:11   #187

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsofli View Post
Its the egg good cheese and greek yoghurt that hold me. After a month or so i miss it so much i cant resist
Greek yoghurt and feta are to die for .
My favourite Greek hard cheese is graviera.

I am only vegan by necessity when supplies run out. It is fantastic having a raft of recipes to select from then though. Good food is so much a part of good living .

By the way, I made the beetroot chocolate cake (with orange icing) when Greek friends came on board for lunch just before we hauled out a couple of weeks ago. Five year old Stamatia had three pieces of cake and her brother Vangelis was not far behind. This recipe certainly passed the "kid" test in terms of taste .

Old 01-12-2013, 06:42   #188

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
I ran across a recipe that got excellent reviews when Ive served it. Im running from memory here so the quantities would have to be adjusted to how many are going to eat.
I had to look up "nutritional yeast". I wondered initially if it was another name for beer or vegemite .

OK, it's not. For those wondering, it is yellow deactivated yeast (flakes or powder) that tastes "nutty and cheesy" and is a good source of Vitamin B. Well, I have none of that on board, but I love walnut/mushroom combinations, so I will give the recipe a go sans yeast tomorrow night .

Old 01-12-2013, 09:02   #189

the good thing about Feta is you can take it aboard, even if you dont have a refrigerator. Providing you buy it in small barrel in Greece and keep it. And in the future you can keep more feta there.

I will make an experiment but i think if you are vegetarian you can have everything abroad, and organic for that matter, so you cook perfect food all the time. I am too spoiled to eat can
Old 01-12-2013, 09:05   #190

I dont know what vegemite is but nutritional yeast is kind of cheesy yes.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:18   #191

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsofli View Post
the good thing about Feta is you can take it aboard, even if you dont have a refrigerator. Providing you buy it in small barrel in Greece and keep it. And in the future you can keep more feta there.

I will make an experiment but i think if you are vegetarian you can have everything abroad, and organic for that matter, so you cook perfect food all the time. I am too spoiled to eat can
Certainly feta keeps wonderfully without refrigeration. I buy a small slab from a deli, put a tablespoon of salt into a 750 ml glass jar, half fill with water, add feta, top with more water then a thin layer of olive oil. It keeps for days if not weeks! Feta enhances almost every meal when crumbled on top. The rich creamy stuff is nothing like the salty cubes I have tasted back in Australia.

Serious thread drift for a vegan thread though .

Old 01-12-2013, 13:23   #192

thanks
Old 01-12-2013, 14:08   #193
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
I had to look up "nutritional yeast". I wondered initially if it was another name for beer or vegemite .

OK, it's not. For those wondering, it is yellow deactivated yeast (flakes or powder) that tastes "nutty and cheesy" and is a good source of Vitamin B. Well, I have none of that on board, but I love walnut/mushroom combinations, so I will give the recipe a go sans yeast tomorrow night .
Just use vegemite instead, initially suggest only half quantity; it will be prefect, what could possibly go wrong?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 20:30   #194

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Just use vegemite instead, initially suggest only half quantity; it will be prefect, what could possibly go wrong?
Divorce?

Old 02-12-2013, 12:35   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
vegemite doesn't list its ingredients so you won't know what you are putting in your body....Do you really want to do that? In todays worlf of Monsanto's and duponts I prefer to know what I am eating, no way I'm gonna eat any secret ingredients. Holly blank, I've only got one body to tear up and not interested in gambling with it an y more than I have to.
There are lots of things one could add that are edible and listed as food