Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 23-05-2017, 07:48   #1261

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

This thread has REALLY degraded. It started out as healthy Vegan recipes, and now I'm seeing nothing but seafood, poultry, ham, eggs and cheese, not to mentioned fried.

SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 09:34   #1262

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
This thread has REALLY degraded. It started out as healthy Vegan recipes, and now I'm seeing nothing but seafood, poultry, ham, eggs and cheese, not to mentioned fried.

Hi SailFastTri

I ran out of new animal free recipes to post and the thread stagnated. At this stage any new additions keep it alive rather than being buried and eventually lost forever, so at least the early contributions are kept visible to inspire cruisers.

If you would like to see the thread "back on track", you could help redirect it by posting some of your favourite recipes .

If anyone needs inspiration for a tapas type platter, I am putting one together for this evening and I find it includes a high proportion of dishes made without animal produce: roast tomato tapenade, guacamole, olives marinated with chillies, cherry tomatoes with basil and balsamic, tiny mushrooms sautéed with garlic, plus hoummos, together with a loaf of homemade bread and lemon infused extra virgin olive for dipping. There are a few extras, but these do not make up the core of the spread. This has happened without much planning, so I see a decade of boat food has altered my food habits .

Whatever your choices, bon appétit everyone .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 19:01   #1263

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:

Hmm, back to vegan? Ok, well my daughter collected some nice fresh kelp a while back and just roasted it over a campfire. Kelp chips, and, I was surprised, they were good! Can't get much simpler than that.

Add some bacon and goose livers and... ok, just kidding.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 08:48   #1264
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:

I don't understand the anger... the subject title says "mainly plant based", not "vegan". The recipe I posted is mainly plant based and if prepared correctly, a very healthy meal with a minor non-plant content that can be left out as one wishes to do so
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 09:28   #1265

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

I'm not vegan, or even vegetarian, but really appreciate this thread's concept: accepting that storing meat requires boatwatts; and not everyone has either a freezer (capacity or existence), sufficient power supply, or budget to eat meat at every meal or for weeks on end. Huz and I have 100,000 miles of land travel with NO refrigeration--meat and most cheeses became delicacies we enjoyed immediately after provisioning. We usually carried dried or cured meat products to add flavor, but you do run out.

Plus, I have friends who are vegan or vegetarian, and while I wouldn't make every other guest eat to meet one guest's peccadillios, I'd certainly feel like a bad host if I didn't have one tasty dish the special sort (vegan or lchf-er) could eat!

I llllove tapas or antipastis, SFL. Marinated onions: save a glass container once you eat all the olives or pickles or whatnot, fill with about a pound of thin sliced onions, add 1:2 or 2:3 oil to vinegar ratio to cover the onions. Your choice of oil, vinegar. I usually use olive oil and a mix of red wine and white vinegar. Add a healthy amount of dried italian herbs mix (typically composed of basil, oregano, and rosemary) and an extra dash of basil. Add a few cloves of chopped garlic, and salt to taste. Secure lid and shake about to get the ingedients dispersed and the onions a little tenderized. Within a few hours, the onions may be used as dressing on a salad, coated and fried as tasty onion bits, grilled with mixed vegetables, served on bread (which may or may not also have a soft cheese spread) or broiled on focaccia. A jar of marinated onions goes surprisingly quickly.

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 00:46   #1266

I was able to import it on my iPhone Paprika app. You would think it would work on iPad too then. Thank you, Jedi!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 01:05   #1267
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
Marinated onions: save a glass container once you eat all the olives or pickles or whatnot, fill with about a pound of thin sliced onions, add 1:2 or 2:3 oil to vinegar ratio to cover the onions. Your choice of oil, vinegar. I usually use olive oil and a mix of red wine and white vinegar. Add a healthy amount of dried italian herbs mix (typically composed of basil, oregano, and rosemary) and an extra dash of basil. Add a few cloves of chopped garlic, and salt to taste. Secure lid and shake about to get the ingedients dispersed and the onions a little tenderized. Within a few hours, the onions may be used as dressing on a salad, coated and fried as tasty onion bits, grilled with mixed vegetables, served on bread (which may or may not also have a soft cheese spread) or broiled on focaccia. A jar of marinated onions goes surprisingly quickly.
I love the idea of these, will definitely give them a try. Any idea how long a jar will last if you don't use it all quickly?
Old 26-05-2017, 01:24   #1268
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I'm wondering if it's possible to post Paprika recipes here on the forum... may be as an attachment?

tried... no go, it says invalid file. So it's gonna be a link to the recipe in my Dropbox then. Please try this and see if you can import it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iv4knb0rta...ikarecipe?dl=0

This is my latest recipe; after many years I finally managed to make a real Nasi Goreng :-) For those who have missed this, you must start with growing your own Tauge (special technique sprouted Mung beans) which has been featured here before

Below a text copy of the recipe:

Nasi Goreng Jedi
★★★★★
Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 15 min | Servings: 4 servings | Difficulty: Medium

Ingredients:

1 cup rice
2 eggs
4 big slices cooked ham
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 tsp sesame oil

3 cloves garlic chopped
1 small onion chopped
1/3 cup carrot chopped
3 cups bean sprouts (taugé)
4 stalks bok choy
6 shiitake mushrooms
5 stalks spring onions chopped

2 tsp sambal oelek (chili paste)
¼ tsp Thai shrimp paste
1 tbsp light Thai/Chinese Soy sauce
1 tsp Kecap Manis (sweet soy sauce) or dark Thai Soy sauce
1 tsp Thai fish sauce

1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Directions:

- The day before serving the meal, wash & rinse one cup of rice until the water is mostly clear. Drain very well before continuing.
If your rice says to use 2 cups of water with 1 cup of rice then use 1-3/4 cup of water instead so the rice doesn't get too soft. Bring to a slow boil and cook until all water is absorbed. Check that there are no hard pieces in the grains. Then take off the heat, cover with lid and let stand 10 minutes. Take lid off and transfer to a food storage container and let cool without the lid. Then close and store in refrigerator.

- Next day, prepare the shiitake mushrooms. If dried, put them in a glass Pyrex measuring cup, add boiling water and put a sieve on top to keep the mushrooms submerged. After 30 minutes, take the mushrooms out, squeeze excess moisture out, cut all of the stems out (dispose the stems), then slice them and put in a bowl.
If the mushrooms are fresh then just remove and dispose the stems, slice the mushrooms and put in a bowl.

- Chop the garlic, onion and carrot and put in a separate bowl.

- Buy or grow your own bean sprouts, wash them and use a lettuce centrifuge to dry them. Wash and chop the bok choy and keep them with the bean sprouts.

- Mix both soy sauces, fish sauce, sambal and shrimp paste in a small glass bowl (it stains if spilled)

- Mix the salt, turmeric and pepper in another small bowl.

- Crack the eggs in yet another bowl. Don't whisk them.

- Cut the ham slices in 1/2" squares.

Now we're ready to cook. Put a wok on high heat and add 1 tbsp of oil and ½ tsp of sesame oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic, onions and carrot. Stir fry for 2 minutes, then add the bean sprouts and bok choy. Stir fry for 3 minutes, then add the mushrooms. Stir fry for another couple minutes, then turn the heat low and transfer to a bowl.

With the wok back on the stove, turn the heat high again and add the other tbsp of oil and ½ tsp of sesame oil. When the oil is hot, add the ham and stir fry for 2 minutes. Move the ham to one side of the wok so that the oil drains back to the bottom. You need a good amount of oil, add some if needed, then add the eggs to the hot oil. Chop the yolks so they break and stir and scrape a bit. Get the cold rice and put over the still wet eggs and ham. Push the rice down, which makes it break up. Stir fry, making sure all the rice breaks up and everything mixes well. Keep stir frying for 5 minutes or until the rice turns a light golden color. Add the soy sauces and sambal as well as the salt, turmeric and pepper and stir fry so that everything mixes and all the rice grains get coated. Keep stir frying for another 3 minutes, then add the fried vegetables and mix well while stir frying. Put the copped spring onions in at the last moment.

Source:

Sent from Paprika Recipe Manager. Paprika Recipe Manager for iPad, iPhone, Mac, Android, and Windows.
Managed to import to my Paprika on Android from the dropbox link. Thanks Jedi 🙆
Old 26-05-2017, 04:11   #1269
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
I love the idea of these, will definitely give them a try. Any idea how long a jar will last if you don't use it all quickly?
Made some this morning using olive oil, balsamic vinegar, thyme and oregano. I got a bit carried away with the oil so the proportions were a bit out but, after only two hours marinating, they are delish. Will be keeping a jar of these on the go ☺
Old 27-05-2017, 11:39   #1270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
If anyone needs inspiration for a tapas type platter, I am putting one together for this evening and I find it includes a high proportion of dishes made without animal produce: roast tomato tapenade, guacamole, olives marinated with chillies, cherry tomatoes with basil and balsamic, tiny mushrooms sautéed with garlic, plus hoummos, together with a loaf of homemade bread and lemon infused extra virgin olive for dipping.

SWL

These look like a great Tapas spread! I can't wait to include these in our Tapas lunches-I love little bites of different things so these will be perfect! Thanks!
Old 27-05-2017, 11:49   #1271

Quote:
I'm wondering if it's possible to post Paprika recipes here on the forum... may be as an attachment?
[/url]

The funniest thing is seeing the categories of my Paprika now. It looks like I have the recipe to be a Jedi!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7595.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	148553
Old 27-05-2017, 13:03   #1272
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
The funniest thing is seeing the categories of my Paprika now. It looks like I have the recipe to be a Jedi!

I still don't know how you did the import from the dropbox link and I'm supposed to be the geek :-)
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 13:22   #1273
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

I still don't know how you did the import from the dropbox link and I'm supposed to be the geek :-)
I clicked on the dropbox link, it said 'preview not available', had choice to open it with Paprika or Sailgrib (!), opened with Paprika and there it was all ready to save.
Old 27-05-2017, 13:47   #1274

Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
I clicked on the dropbox link, it said 'preview not available', had choice to open it with Paprika or Sailgrib (!), opened with Paprika and there it was all ready to save.

Jedi,
Luckily for me, using the phone is just trial and error and no real tech skill so don't feel bad.

I also opened Dropbox and hit the symbol to save it to another place and Paprika was there (see photo). I had to log in Paprika because I just always use the App on my phone. It took twice because of bad wifi but it said success and whoop, there you were.

Download button box with arrow:

Name:	IMG_7601.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	148562

Save to choices:

Name:	IMG_7599.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	148561
Old 28-05-2017, 15:28   #1275

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

Quote:
Depends on the timeframe and storage method. I've never had any go visibly bad. They pickle in the vinegar. My reservation would be the potential for bacterial contamination of the oil. It'd be a risk I'd take no problem, but consider more carefully after a week or so if the onions were served to others.

On our boat (formerly in our tiny rv, then before that extending our garden produce and root cellar contents through long winters in interior Alaska), onions showing signs of old age get eaten soonest, or sliced into this. Using the root cellar, and now on the boat, I had/have a jar going as a sort of continual ferment, but cannot advocate as to the food safety d/t the presence of the oil which may create an anaerobic microenvironment.

However, they are delish, and the recipe is infinitely scalable, so make less if you are unsure. Start with a little jam jar's worth ☺.

I hope you like them!

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote