Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 17:04   #1216

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
I was under the impression that apricot, peach and nectarine pits all contained cyanide or a cyanide derivative. Am I wrong or does the processing render this harmless?
I doubt cooking it would render it harmless.

As far as I understand it, our system deals with small quantities of things we ingest/absorb very differently to larger doses though. The effect of a substance is not a linear relationship depending on quantity consumed. Some things such as certain vitamins can be not just beneficial, but essential in small quantities, but could literally kill you with high doses. Not that I am saying cyanide is beneficial , just in very small doses it does not automatically follow that it is detrimental.

Consumption of cyanide does not apparently produce cumulative effects either. One kernel a day over a month is not the same as consuming 30 in one day.

I take it you have to consume a large number of apricot kernels in one hit to be toxic. Also, cyanide quantity depends on if the kernels are sweet or bitter, just as it does with almonds.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 17:29   #1217
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Best discussion of apricot kernels I have seen is:
https://www.smartkitchen.com/resources/apricot-kernels
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 18:18   #1218

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Best discussion of apricot kernels I have seen is:
https://www.smartkitchen.com/resources/apricot-kernels
I found this interesting UK government report written by a "Committee on toxicity":
http://cot.food.gov.uk/sites/default...icot200615.pdf

Item 30 they very conservatively conclude 1 kernel per day is "unlikely to be of concern":

"Taking the available evidence together, consumption of 1 kernel per day would result in a cyanide intake of 0.5-mg/day (equivalent to 8 μg/kg bw for a 60 kg adult) which is in the region of this nominal ARfD and the TDIs proposed by others and would be unlikely to be of concern. This level of intake represents a threshold above which, increasing intake becomes increasingly hazardous."

This is a long way from rules of thumb like “no More than 5 Kernels an Hour” or “1 kernel per 20 pounds of body weight per day” that have been thrown around.

So just make sure you stretch your batch of jam to last at least 3 weeks (dishing out no more than one kernel a day), or spit out the kernels if you can't resist getting through 4 jars sooner than that .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 05:33   #1219

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Well it may not be mouth-watering but this is so convenient. I put one half cup rice and a little more than 3/4cup water, a sweet potato, diced onion and garlic into a stainless steel bowl that fits in my pressure cooker with enough water to make a good heat sink. bring the pressure cooker up to pressure and put it in my insulated box. I do this first thing in the morning then when I come home from work I can stir fry it add some eggs and cheese or heat up some beans or stir fry some meat then add everything else or eat the sweet potato separately. this also works very well when I'm sailing I make it before I raise anchor and then whenever I want to eat it's ready. This works perfect for normal sized sweet potato if it's an extra large I cut it in half. Lots of times I add other ingredients like kale or diced tomatoes. PS at the end of the day the pressure cooker is still too hot to touch.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 16:47   #1220
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Saeworthy, when I have a complete recipe in my Paprika app... how can I share it here as easy as possible?

Edit: okay, I got it, mostly, just the picture is missing.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 16:51   #1221
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Nasi Goreng Jedi
★★★★★
Asian, Jedi recipe
Prep 30 min∙ Cook 15 min∙ Makes 4 servings∙ Difficulty Medium∙ Source Youtube and self

INGREDIENTS

1 cup rice
2 eggs
4 big slices cooked ham
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 tsp sesame oil

3 cloves garlic chopped
1 small onion chopped
1/3 cup carrot chopped
3 cups bean sprouts (taugé)
4 stalks bok choy
6 shiitake mushrooms
5 stalks spring onions chopped

2 tsp sambal oelek (chili paste)
¼ tsp Thai shrimp paste
1 tbsp light Thai/Chinese Soy sauce
1 tsp Kecap Manis (sweet soy sauce) or dark Thai Soy sauce
1 tsp Thai fish sauce

1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS

- The day before serving the meal, wash & rinse one cup of rice until the water is mostly clear. Drain very well before continuing.
If your rice says to use 2 cups of water with 1 cup of rice then use 1-3/4 cup of water instead so the rice doesn't get too soft. Bring to a slow boil and cook until all water is absorbed. Check that there are no hard pieces in the grains. Then take off the heat, cover with lid and let stand 10 minutes. Take lid off and transfer to a food storage container and let cool without the lid. Then close and store in refrigerator.

- Next day, prepare the shiitake mushrooms. If dried, put them in a glass Pyrex measuring cup, add boiling water and put a sieve on top to keep the mushrooms submerged. After 30 minutes, take the mushrooms out, squeeze excess moisture out, cut all of the stems out (dispose the stems), then slice them and put in a bowl.
If the mushrooms are fresh then just remove and dispose the stems, slice the mushrooms and put in a bowl.

- Chop the garlic, onion and carrot and put in a separate bowl.

- Buy or grow your own bean sprouts, wash them and use a lettuce centrifuge to dry them. Wash and chop the bok choy and keep them with the bean sprouts.

- Mix both soy sauces, fish sauce, sambal and shrimp paste in a small glass bowl (it stains if spilled)

- Mix the salt, turmeric and pepper in another small bowl.

- Crack the eggs in yet another bowl. Don't whisk them.

- Cut the ham slices in 1/2" squares.

Now we're ready to cook. Put a wok on high heat and add 1 tbsp of oil and ½ tsp of sesame oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic, onions and carrot. Stir fry for a 2 minutes, then add the bean sprouts and bok choy. Stir fry for 3 minutes, then add the mushrooms. Stir fry for another couple minutes, then turn the heat low and transfer to a bowl.

With the wok back on the stove, turn the heat high again and add the other tbsp of oil and ½ tsp of sesame oil. When the oil is hot, add the ham and stir fry for 2 minutes. Move the ham to one side of the wok so that the oil drains back to the bottom. You need a good amount of oil, add some if needed, then add the eggs to the hot oil. Chop the yolks so they break and stir and scrape a bit. Get the cold rice and put over the still wet eggs and ham. Push the rice down, which makes it break up. Stir fry, making sure all the rice breaks up and everything mixes well. Keep stir frying for 5 minutes or until the rice turns a light golden color. Add the soy sauces and sambal as well as the salt, turmeric and pepper and stir fry so that everything mixes and all the rice grains get coated. Keep stir frying for another 3 minutes, then add the fried vegetables and mix well while stir frying. Put the copped spring onions in at the last moment.

Sent from Paprika Recipe Manager

ciao!
Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 17:21   #1222

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Stone fruit are luscious at the moment.
This jam is scrumptious on toasted bread or brioche or scones or muffins ..... :

APRICOT, NECTARINE & LIME JAM

1.0 kg apricots, quartered (weigh after cutting)
0.5 kg nectarines
1 kg sugar
1/2 cup lime juice (3 limes)
Rind 3 limes cut in one long swirl to allow for easy removal (I use a bread knife)
20 apricot kernels

- Crack 20 apricot stones & soak the kernels for a minute in boiling water, then squeeze off the skins.
- Combine all ingredients and leave a minimum of 4 hours, stirring occasionally. The sugar will dissolve in the apricot juice and heaps of liquid will form.
- Oil base and sides of a 3 litre cooking pot (helps to stop burning).
- Bring the mix to the boil. It will foam and rise. Turn off just before it boils over and cover.
- Let sit for an hour to allow the fruit to cook.
- Skim all the foam off the surface. It will have subsided and thickened, allowing easy removal.
- Bring to boil again and boil 12-15 min stirring frequently. There will be little to no foam and little tendency to boil over. Both don't usually reoccur following standing and then skimming.
- Sterilize glass jars and lids using your preferred method.
- Test a few drops of jam on a cold saucer at the 12 minute mark. A slight skin will form and it will run only a little when the saucer is tipped. I test every minute from then. Overcooking causes a dark overly thick jam.
- Remove rind and discard.
- If the jars are hot, make sure they are no hotter than the jam (I use a laser thermometer), otherwise they will shatter when the jam is poured.
- Immediately ladle in glass jars and seal.
- Invert for 10 minutes, then cool the right side up.

ok these recipes may be worth the price of a ticket from LA to the Med!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 02:54   #1223

These recipes really look delicious.
I should definitely test some of them out!
petrina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 03:32   #1224

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Anybody got a good one for chili using primarily beans & TVP? An old girlfriend used to make some that was really, really good. But sadly we're no longer together, & I'm left looking for a replacement... recipe! What were you thinking
Oh, & spicy is better. On both counts.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 18:09   #1225

Thumbs up Re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Anybody got a good one for chili using primarily beans & TVP? An old girlfriend used to make some that was really, really good. But sadly we're no longer together, & I'm left looking for a replacement... recipe! What were you thinking
I'll give you my recipe, and I often have people asking me to make chili for them. Chili can be made without meat but it suffers without those lipids plant sources are lacking. The first thing you must learn is that to properly make chilli you must taste your sauce often as it cooks so you may adjust the balance of hot and sweet. You will need fresh onions bell peppers, habanero peppers, etc. Doesn't matter what kinds you use but for best flavor you need at least two different hot ones and at least two kinds of sweet peppers. Here is a pix of what I would use for one pan of Chili. I use at least two different kinds of beans my favorites being kidney and pinto. In the pix I have four different kinds and don't use more than a total of 1 pound dry. You may use canned beans your choice. I like to use two kinds of meat but it works great without meat. Opps, I forgot the onions you will need two medium sized onions also. All peppers are to be chopped up with onions and tomatoes. Keep the chopped hot peppers separate for now and put the tomato sauce, paste in the pan with onions and peppers on low heat to simmer covered to blend. Add a goodly amount of the dried California chili power into the pan and some sea salt to taste. After the sauce has simmered long enough for the sweet peppers and onions to soften add half the hot peppers. Be careful with these cause they can seriously bite you especially if you touch your eye nose or other sensitive area at this point in the cooking process. That means no sex<smile>. After about thirty minutes or a little more the basic sauce is blended you should add a good dollop of honey and stir then taste. You want to feel a nice hot hot bite softened by the sweet honey. The two must balance if your chili is to be a success. Don't worry about the wimpy dinners you have invited that find plain milk a little to spicy for them just pay them no attention and serve them the same as everyone else when the time comes. If it dosent quite have that bite add the rest of the chopped hot peppers and let simmer for another few minutes stirring often. I haven't talked about beans because I'm sure you all have your favorite methods for cooking them. I like to cook them until they are almost done then when my chilli sauce suits my pallet I add them and let them soak up the flavor. Served with fresh baked sourdough bread with butter this will make a meal to die for. Remember taste often and make it HOT, then balance the hot with a bit of honey. It takes a bit of prepping but its worth it. I have never had a, no spicey food please, type person, not eat their full portion and often they will ask you months later when your gonna make them some of that chilli again. I love it! ....please don't be afraid to ask questions
Click image for larger version

Name:	chilli.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	136277
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 06:17   #1226
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This has been such a great thread with so many wonderful recipes and photos of delicious looking food! WOW!

I have not been able to read all of the many pages in this thread, so I don't know if this recipe or cooking video has been posted yet. IF it has, my apologies for a duplicate post.

IF it has not been posted yet, and if you have not seen it yet, I also apologize to some readers or viewers who may object to it. We all have different tastes. It is a bit "salty" but I suspect it may be appreciated by the Vegans and Vegetarians who have been contributing so many good veggie based recipes. I hope you all will enjoy it if you can.

It is appropriate timing too, as it is close to that time of year when people are making TurDucken.

This is a recipe for TOFUKEN.
On Youtube (Censored version with bleeps):
https://youtu.be/j5QAjcbvbDg

And the UNCENSORED version (no bleeps).
https://www.facebook.com/viralthread...5056904000330/

As is so often said in the food service industry: "Enjoy!"
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 07:29   #1227

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Bfloyd....The mark of a great cook isnt in how good they think their food tastes but if their guests are enjoying the meal. If you "ignore the wimpy diners" you may find yourself dinning alone quite often...
Old 23-11-2016, 08:31   #1228

Boat: Grampian Classic 31 Ketch

What about using something like quinoa instead of the TVP for a complete protein. I have a recipe I can share if you like. I dehydrate my chili for backpacking and canoeing trips and will be doing the same for when we are sailing next year. Then I simply add boiling water and let it rehydrate...it saves a lot of space that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Old 17-12-2016, 17:47   #1229

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Ok so since there is a chill in the air in this northern half of the planet, I thought this might be appealing. I always enjoy it and it makes a good boat drink. My wife and mother-in-law make this hot, toasted corn meal and chocolate drink that is quite tasty and a great thing to drink in the morning if you don't want the jolt of caffeine but you crave something brown, a little sweet, chocolatey and warm. For those of you who have traveled around central America you may know I am speaking of "pinol" or "pinilillo" depending on where you are and how it is made. Basically it is toasted, ground corn kernels, a little chocolate, a little sugar, milk and some cinnamon. But here: these folks can show you better than I. For us northerners, the hard part is finding the toasted corn meal, but stores catering to Latino customers often have it. My mother-in-law also buys the cacao seeds and grinds them too instead of buying unsweetened chocolate powder. Once you have the dry powder mix part of it made up then it's fairly easy to just cook it up when needed. Great to drink in a cold breezy cockpit at night!
Great for Christmas too!
Pinolillo Recipe (Nicaraguan, Costa Rican cocoa-cornmeal drink) | Whats4eats

Nica please!: How to Make Pinol
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 12:07   #1230
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

guisado tropical whimsy

can be made either in slow cooker or on stovetop-

- into pan-- spot of olive oil, oregano, garlic, onion, poblano skinned in the normal mexican manner(burn em ) yummmmmy. crema de coco.
cook it together.. some salt as well and limon, when i make it with apple i use jumex apple nectar, a small bottle. 1 can crema de coco.

difference between slow cooking and stovetop is the candy made on stovetop.. yummy. is not candied in slow cooker.
liquids reduce best on stovetop.
when i use pina --toss cleaned pineapple chunks into the sauce and reduce. (no apple juice with other fruits than apple)
when i use mango--chunks of mango-- wow.
when reduced add the pieces of seared pork( apple recipe), or shrimps, or chikkin, or whatever your whimsy is.. tuna is awesome this way with mango-- this sauce does not go well with beef
peanuts(cacahuates) are also good-- use apple recipe with peanut butter peanuts and crema de coconut. yummmm
the meats will cook in the sauce as that reduces.
damfinecookinmomma

and i betcha that even tofu tastes good in this ... just for you swl....hahahahaha
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote