Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 29-10-2015, 13:06   #1141
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
The Paella looks delicious! Great recipe!!
I actually had a similar to this in Mallorca Last year. NOT a pasta noodle fan but did like it a lot..... (I did put some Chinese hot sauce on it and some soy... and for all that it was really good)
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 21:06   #1142

Mallorca. Sounds wonderful. A bit of hot sauce fixes all sorts of foods that are without flavor.

I love the small vermicelli sautéed until brown and added to soups or rice. Or fideo in Mexican soups. Very tasty.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 09:09   #1143
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

You know who you are..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vegetarians.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	111922  
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:21   #1144
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Best ever vegan recipes - Recipes - Olive Magazine

I haven't made any of these recipes but there are some that I will definitely try.
Old 16-11-2015, 01:00   #1145
Marine Service Provider

Nutritional Yeast -

I've used it a couple of times now and, as I'm not vegan (or even vegetarian), I don't think it will become a regular purchase.

I made a courgette carbonara and replaced half the parmesan with the nutitional yeast, it added a different flavour that wasn't particularly to our liking - parmesan is best!

I also stirred it in to the mashed potatoes which topped a shepherd's pie - again an odd flavour that didn't really add anything.

I'll persevere and see if I can find a 'must have' use for it but at the moment I think I'll be passing my supply to SWL when we meet next season!
Old 16-11-2015, 02:33   #1146

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Hope you try another brand. Its such a good thing. But I have to put out a warning. some nutritional yeast has lead contamination,scary. I've been using it for years but only found out about that after this thread. In the USA it should be on the label. It can still be sold if it is below a certain level. . Just did a YouTube search. Nutritional facts.org found that the company Braggs has less lead than lollipops. Well now I know there's an acceptable amount of lead in candy. :-(
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 18:03   #1147

Ugh! Lead contamination. That's nasty! I've never seen it on the label of any suckers here in the U.S. . I do look at most labels but I don't know if I have ever looked at the label of a sucker, though!

After all those years of pumping leaded gas I don't need any more brain damage!
Gotta limit my lead-Can't have both suckers & nutritional year. So, I guess no nutritional yeast for me!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 00:43   #1148

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

You won't see lead listed unless it's above an acceptable level. I think you would have to stop eating to have 0% lead in your food. The health benefits of nutritional yeast are well founded. I hope my warning of some brands containing more than acceptable amounts of lead doesn't scare people off from nutritional yeast. I remember a year where strawberries from ONE farm where contaminated with ecoli and people stopped eating strawberries even after it was determined that it was only from this one farm.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 02:56   #1149
Marine Service Provider

I don't often cook Greek dishes but after having stewed/casseroled chestnuts last week in a taverna I thought I'd hunt out a recipe and give it a go. The original recipe is here Organically Greek: Chestnut stew (Κάστανα στιφάδο)
Although it was delicious, I have made some changes to the cooking times/method to allow the onions and chestnuts to cook more thoroughly.

Chestnut Stifado

2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped finely
3 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
500g chestnuts, shelled (cut a cross in the base of each chestnut, drop several at a time into boiling water and simmer for 7 minutes, remove from the heat and carefully take out chestnuts and remove both layers of skin - run fingers under cold water to help prevent blisters!)
500g whole small stewing onions (cut a cross in the top of each one after cleaning)
400g chopped tomatoes or passata
1 tsp tomato puree
1 small wineglass of wine (I used red but white will work too)
1 small stick of cinammon
8 cloves
2 bay leaves
freshly ground pepper
sea salt

In a wide pot, heat the oil and sautee the chopped onion and garlic till translucent.
Add the whole onions and mix till they are coated in oil. Add 1 tbsp water, stir and put lid on, simmer over a very low heat for 10 minutes. Do not allow the onions to brown, add more water a tbsp at a time if necessary.
Add herbs and spices and wine, season well. Simmer for a few minutes.
Add tomatoes and tomato puree. Add chestnuts, place a lid on the pot, and simmer at the lowest heat for 30 minutes.
Check texture of chestnuts, the stifado is ready when they are at your desired texture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1448820478051.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	114089  
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 20:06   #1150

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

No new recipes to add lately, as all the old favourites are being made now that we have had the first taste of winter. It's a chilly 4°C outside while writing this!

We are busy with routine chores and in addition getting the boat ready for sale next year.

The Panforte below is such a fabulous Christmas recipe that I am reposting it for those of you with time on your hands for a little baking .

PANFORTE

500 g nuts, for example:
300 g whole almonds
100 g whole brazil nuts
100 g macadamia nuts
(also good with hazelnuts or pistachios)

500 g dried fruit, for example:
200 g coarsely chopped dried figs
100 g mixed peel
100 g raisins
100 g coarsely chopped crystallised pineapple

1 cup plain flour
1 cup Dutch cocoa (at least 80% cocoa, unsweetened)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp mixed spice

500 g honey (1.25 cups)
1 cup very firmly packed soft brown sugar

- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Line a round 20cm cake pan with non-stick baking paper.
- Combine the nuts and dried fruit.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, cinnamon and mixed spice, sift over nuts & fruit and toss together.
- Place the honey and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat. Heat, stirring, for 5-10 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, without stirring, for 3 minutes or until a candy thermometer reaches 118°C or "soft ball stage". (If you don't have a thermometer, drop 1 teaspoonful of syrup into a glass of cold water. If the syrup can be rolled into a soft ball it's at soft ball stage, that is all I do now).
- Pour the hot honey mixture into the nut mixture and, working very quickly, stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Spoon into the prepared pan, then pat down and smooth the surface with a wet hand.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until just firm. Set aside for a couple of hours to cool.
- Cut into wedges dust with icing sugar or cocoa and wrap in cellophane if gift giving. It is lovely sharing this with friends . Slice thinly when serving.

Season's Greetings everyone and best wishes for 2016.

SWL xxx

Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 18:31   #1151

Chocolate! has to be a good recipe smile.....Just one more recipe, one more and I'll be so fat my boat will surely sink!

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas!!
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 14:00   #1152
vjm

And a tip for vegans or anyone feeding vegans: you can substitute agave syrup for the honey 1:1

Most vegans don't consider honey to be vegan. Just an FYI.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 16:11   #1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
And a tip for vegans or anyone feeding vegans: you can substitute agave syrup for the honey 1:1

Most vegans don't consider honey to be vegan. Just an FYI.
Not true for the vegan's i know. If you take the time to learn the physiology of apis melifera and research how honey is produced you will learn that honey bee's do with nectar just the same as you do when you go to the store and buy veggies for a salad. They simply transport the nectar from the flower to the hive and put it in comb. They then evaporate the moisture from nectar until it's below 18% when it becomes honey and cap the comb. This is where i come along and steal it from them.There is no scientific evidence they add any animal component but there is scientific evidence they reduce the moisture content from 25-30% to less than 18% creating honey
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 18:18   #1154
vjm

Well, I am not into engaging in Internet wrangling about the vegan lifestyle. I do a lot of vegan outreach and have contacts with vegans worldwide. Honey, as a product of animals is not considered vegan by anyone I have contact with. Just like milk and eggs. In addition, my understanding is that at least some larger producing honey farmers do end up killing bees in the process, as well as taking the nutrition product they are supposed to be using and substituting a much lower nutrition product for it. Again, akin to eggs and milk.

If you serve something with honey in it, maybe mention to the vegans it is in there and let them make their own decision about it. I, and the hundreds of other vegans I have regular contact with, would be pissed if something containing honey was served as "vegan". Maybe the people you know are different.

Wonderful thread, and obviously full of great stuff. It's a fantastic resource.

You can also use maple syrup in place of honey, but it does give a maple flavor unlike agave. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 21:26   #1155

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
Well, I am not into engaging in Internet wrangling about the vegan lifestyle. I do a lot of vegan outreach and have contacts with vegans worldwide. Honey, as a product of animals is not considered vegan by anyone I have contact with. Just like milk and eggs. In addition, my understanding is that at least some larger producing honey farmers do end up killing bees in the process, as well as taking the nutrition product they are supposed to be using and substituting a much lower nutrition product for it. Again, akin to eggs and milk.

If you serve something with honey in it, maybe mention to the vegans it is in there and let them make their own decision about it. I, and the hundreds of other vegans I have regular contact with, would be pissed if something containing honey was served as "vegan". Maybe the people you know are different.

Wonderful thread, and obviously full of great stuff. It's a fantastic resource.

You can also use maple syrup in place of honey, but it does give a maple flavor unlike agave. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Hi vjm
You are correct, regardless of whether or not honey contains anything bee related, it is not considered vegan. In the introduction to this thread I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
These are mainly plant based recipes, but occasionally dairy products have been used. They are generally only optional extras, so if you are vegan please turn a blind eye and just omit these .
Where a recipe specifies 'milk', this can generally be whatever you prefer: almond, rice, soy etc. Honey can be substituted with pure maple syrup.
I have generally added "or maple syrup" when I have used honey in a recipe. The Christmas Panforte recipe was an exception.

This compilation of recipes started not specifically for vegans, but because many plant based recipes are brilliantly suited to cruising, with lots of the ingredients keeping for months and months without refrigeration, even in summer.

I was going to make this the title but it wouldn't fit in the space :

"What to make while cruising when heat coupled by lack of refrigeration don't allow long term storage of animal products, or when you are in parts of the world that these are unavailable, or when you have simply been away from civilisation for long enough to run out of stuff or the closest shop is a 15km walk away and you don't feel like an expedition or can't bring it back in the heat without spoiling, or you are trying to live off $500 a month".

At the time this thread started vegans were being given a hard time on a couple of other threads here on CF, so I threw the word 'vegan' in the title hoping that it would help with acceptance of other people's lifestyle choices. In time, being vegan will hopefully be considered as mainstream as being vegetarian now is.

I thought anyone vegan would know what they were comfortable eating, but I had not considered the possibility of others serving these recipes to vegans. I apologise for this. I will alter the thread title to avoid this occurring.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote