Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 24-09-2015, 22:36   #1081

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
I will have to think of my top 5. But this one I found may make it to #1! I've even been researching this site called the Vegan Lab. Im even using almond milk & making it-thanks to this thread.

Vegan Pasta Alfredo
There is a similar recipe on the Oh She Glows website:
Cauli-power Fettuccine “Alfredo” (Vegan) — Oh She Glows

The author wrote:
"To be honest, I was super skeptical to try the blended-cauliflower-as-pasta-sauce trend and I wasnt rushing to try it out. But after whipping up a version in my kitchen, I went crazy for this stuff. And by crazy, I mean standing over the pot of pasta and spooning it into my mouth uncontrollably. Yea that happened. Its downright irresistible just like youd hope a creamy pasta to be."

It was SailFastTri who introduced me to this fabulous blog early last year. With one cookbook out and one on the way (and a one year old), the blog has suffered, but the old recipes still there are fun to browse.

A lot of vegan recipes call for what I consider "weird ingredients" that are unavailable here in the Med. "Weird" because I had never heard of them let alone used them , but also weird as they seem to be substitutes for the real thing. I tend to stay away from substitutes. Nutritional yeast has been one of those ingredients.

This is what I wrote nearly two years ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I had to look up "nutritional yeast". I wondered initially if it was another name for beer or vegemite .
OK, it's not. For those wondering, it is yellow deactivated yeast (flakes or powder) that tastes "nutty and cheesy" and is a good source of Vitamin B.
After reading dozens of recipes incorporating it and raving about how cheesy it makes dishes taste I am curious enough to give it a go next time I am back in Australia and can get hold of some. I am not convinced it will come close to the real thing, but it may be extremely handy on board (doesn't need refrigeration, compact, long shelf life if kept dry somewhere dark).

Anyone use it much? How would you rate it? Does it really substitute well for cheese in sauces?

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 20:00   #1082

I left it out too. It sounds strange but I will see if I can find some & try it. Cheesy would be great-especially without the cheesy calories! It's 0 fat. They even say you can try it on popcorn!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1443236414.214318.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	109944
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 22:58   #1083

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I left it out too. It sounds strange but I will see if I can find some & try it. Cheesy would be great-especially without the cheesy calories! It's 0 fat. They even say you can try it on popcorn!
A review from a first time user would be fantastic. Sometimes people just adapt to odd tastes and think nothing of it (vegemite springs to mind ).

The number of times I find nutritional yeast cropping up has finally made me curious. Even more so when it is continually called a "magical ingredient".

A few ways it can be used:

Here's Why Nutritional Yeast Is The Magical Ingredient You Didn't Know You Needed

It may be a very useful ingredient on board, vegan crew or not. It apparently has a shelf life of about a year if kept sealed and dark. It seems a super easy way to add a cheesy flavour to sauces etc.

SWL

Old 26-09-2015, 01:02   #1084
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I was intrigued (despite the click-bait style headline of your link), so did a bit or searching.

Here's a few more ideas:

Get to Know: Nutritional Yeast | Whole Foods Market

I think I'll be getting some when I'm down in Aus next- doubt that I will find any here.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 07:27   #1085

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I was intrigued (despite the click-bait style headline of your link), so did a bit or searching.

Here's a few more ideas:

Get to Know: Nutritional Yeast | Whole Foods Market

I think I'll be getting some when I'm down in Aus next- doubt that I will find any here.
I wouldn't post links to clickbait sites .

I agree nutritional yeast does sounds intriguing. It apparently has the strong flavour of parmesan. Not quite the same, but it is reported to be a good addition to recipes where parmesan would normally be used such as cheese sauce, pesto and risotto. The high nutritional value makes it appealing as well.

Let us know what it is like when you manage to get hold of some. I have next to no hope of finding any in the Aegean. The basic rule seems to be that if it wasn't used by ancient Greeks, "traditional" stores here (ie "health food" shops) don't stock it .

SWL

Old 26-09-2015, 07:40   #1086

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Top 5 soups

The first wild cyclamen are emerging, a clear sign that soup season is just weeks if not days away . As thoughts will be turning in this direction soon, the next 'Top 5' list involves soup. I struggled to limit the number to five, but here is my final selection.

These recipes make up 3 litres worth (a pressure cooker quantity for me). I seal the soup while bubbling hot in 4 glass jars, with metal lids that suck down when the contents cool. In winter these easily last a week unrefrigerated. I have never kept soup longer than 10-14 days and it is usually used with 3-5 days, so I am unsure of the longevity. Heat up one lot and pop it in a thermos and it tastes phenomenally good served in a mug during a cold passage.

Soup of course is even better with warm homemade bread. Focaccia is the quickest to bake and is especially yummy with the addition of herbs or olives or sun dried tomato

TOP 5 PLANT BASED SOUPS

Pumpkin & red lentil soup (post #2)
My other half's all time favourite soup, and has been for a few decades. It is equally good with sweet potato. This is the very first recipe I posted in this thread. A perfect boat recipe, as all the ingredients keep for weeks (if not months) unrefrigerated:

Borscht (post #110)
Spectacular colour and lovely flavour (it is not as violent as it looks ). I add a teaspoon of whole peppercorns though, which does give it nice kick if you bite down on one. If you omit the carrot, all ingredients have a longish shelf life:

Carrot & ginger soup (post #542)
I am often asked for the recipe when I serve this to guests. Always a good sign :

Mulligatawny (post #161)
This is a slightly corrupted version of Boatie's recipe. I can't find the original version that was posted long ago, but this is pretty close. For anyone who loves curries:

Fasolada = Greek bean soup (post #3)
This is Greek staple, particularly before Lent. There are countless regional variations, but this one taught to me by a taverna owner in Pserimos is my favourite. Thick with navy beans it is a meal in itself:

Gazpacho (gourmet) (posts #855 & 858 & 863)
I know this makes it 6, not 5 , but I am not sure where to list this cold uncooked soup, as I consider it a drink. I think is too good too leave out of any list of best soups. Weavis, thanks for sharing this. It was made countless times this summer and enjoyed as a sundowner in the cockpit. The version with watermelon added is also excellent:

SWL

Old 26-09-2015, 10:33   #1087

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

I love nutritional yeast. I know this is a vegan thread but I found mixing it 50% with Parmesan cheese makes it taste more than twice as good than either one by itself. Also if you vacuum seal it it will last for years.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 12:09   #1088

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
I love nutritional yeast. I know this is a vegan thread but I found mixing it 50% with Parmesan cheese makes it taste more than twice as good than either one by itself. Also if you vacuum seal it it will last for years.

So glad to find a review of Nutritional Yeast. I was still a bit scared of getting it. Maybe I will start with the Parmasean to start off too. Sounds safer!
Old 26-09-2015, 12:17   #1089

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Just take any recipe that calls for parmesan and do half of it with nutritional yeast. I can almost guarantee you'll love it. My favorite is Alfredo, I'm going to try the cauliflower alfredo sauce but I'm going to use half and half with it. my bad. I also sprinkle the mixture on popcorn but find most of it falls off. Another favorite is put the mixture in with tomato soup and drop popcorn in and eat it before it gets too soggy a little at a time.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 21:52   #1090

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Thanks for the feedback .

Given I have the patience of a knat , I am now itching to try some. Unfortunately, it is likely to be next year before I can get my hands on any.

SWL

Old 27-09-2015, 21:31   #1091

Finally went through the index & thread to decide on my top 5 today. These are Eve new ones to me. Some that I submitted are still my falvorite but I wanted to list ones that changed my thought on foods. Tomorrow I may change my mind depending on what sounds good.

1) Chickpea and Potato Curry #19
Actually, all the curries are winners!

2) Granola-oven baked #334
Great snack!

3)Eggplant (Aubergine) Crisps #978
Thanks to Norna Biron I love
using eggplant!

4) Moroccan Lentil Soup #381
Actually, all the soups are good!

5) Pan Roasted Tomatoes #1019 for
Tomato soup #26 and 82
(See how I snuck 2 in there!)
Old 28-09-2015, 07:43   #1092

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Finally went through the index & thread to decide on my top 5 today. These are Eve new ones to me. Some that I submitted are still my falvorite but I wanted to list ones that changed my thought on foods. Tomorrow I may change my mind depending on what sounds good.

1) Chickpea and Potato Curry #19
Actually, all the curries are winners!

2) Granola-oven baked #334
Great snack!

3)Eggplant (Aubergine) Crisps #978
Thanks to Norna Biron I love
using eggplant!

4) Moroccan Lentil Soup #381
Actually, all the soups are good!

5) Pan Roasted Tomatoes #1019 for
Tomato soup #26 and 82
(See how I snuck 2 in there!)
LOL, I love the bit about "top 5 today".
My favourites change frequently too, although not daily . I looked at the lists of salads and soups that I have put together and 7 of the 10 recipes are new since I started cruising.

I haven't made a list of my top 5 plant based breakfasts, but that baked granola will definitely be number one. I must get around to trying eggplant crisps, particularly since you rate them highly.

Our meals have altered dramatically since we started cruising, but not just due to whim, although I don't lack that .

Why? Well, I have been forced to explore more. Lots of ingredients I used before are unavailable, I have a tiny galley with no electrical appliances except for a stick mixer, no freezer, limited refrigeration and I try and minimise gas usage and steam produced. Because we enjoy deserted anchorages it can be weeks between hitting grocery stores. We lived on cheese and tomato toasties for a while until I started to get the hang of things . On the positive side, I now have loads of time to indulge playing with recipes and that has altered the way I cook as well. As a result, new "favourites" have been discovered.

CF has been a great resource. I've been introduced to new ingredients like quinoa, totally new cooking techniques (thermos cooking has been fabulous), ideas for making things I would never have thought of such as tonic syrup and vanilla extract and Moroccan lemons, as well as lots of new recipes.

Thanks everyone .

SWL

Old 01-10-2015, 07:20   #1093

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mushroom & caramelised onions with grains

Autumn. A love - hate relationship for me. I love autumn and hate that summer is over. Yesterday was the first time I reached for a long sleeved top in four months and it felt very strange.

Autumn pleasures are numerous: walks that don't leave me looking like a boiled lobster, camp fires on the beach, and best of all I am suddenly craving all those scrumptious substantial dishes that don't do anything for me when nights are hot. It is like flicking a switch when it comes to food preferences .

I have been wanting to try this intensely rich dish for a while. The recipe was adapted from:
Mushroom Risotto with Caramelized Onions — Oh She Glows

I doubled the mushroom and onion. Both reduce down dramatically. I think it is hardly worth frying onions for half an hour to end up with a tablespoon's worth. I haven't had any joy cooking rice well in a thermos, so if substituting the wheat/barley with rice (I don't recommend it, as the chewy texture of wheat is perfect here), use the standard risotto cooking method.

MUSHROOM & CARAMELISED ONION with GRAINS

1 cup spelt wheat (or pearl barley), rinsed
2 cups boiling water

cup extra virgin olive oil
5 onions, halved and thinly sliced

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 kg mushrooms, stems discarded, sliced
1 heaped teaspoon young rosemary leaves, finely chopped
1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons of sherry or brandy

- Cook wheat in water (eg combine in a wide mouthed thermos and leave for a couple of hours) and drain
- Saut the sliced onions in the cup oil for 30 - 40 minutes, stirring frequently (don't skimp) and set aside.
- Saut garlic until golden, add chopped onion and cook 5 minutes, add mushroom and toss frequently until cooked
- Add rosemary, stock cube, vinegar, pepper and sherry
- Add of the caramelised onion and grains and mix well
- Serve topped with rest of onion

Old 01-10-2015, 15:49   #1094

Quote:
I used to LOVE the smell of horse & cattle feed with molasses. I've even tried it but the taste isn't as good as the smell! Moo! 🐮

that's funny.....thanks....Myself I like the aroma of the pasture on a cool fall day with the scent of fresh cow horse poop.....
Oh, and then the stink of biscuits fresh out of the oven ruins everything and I have to run in and pig out on buttered hot biscuits and gravy. I could eat a whole pan of them myself smothered in fresh butter and nothing else! Think I'll make some in the morning and yuall are invited. I'll serve dead chicken embryo's cooked how ever you like, poached fried, scrambled. Oh, I forgot the biscuits may contain fresh picked blackberries from my farm. One of my favorites is chantrelles from the farm or close by in the woods with the neighbors cheddar and secret spices in an omelete. You guys always make me hungry! GRRRRR
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 23:24   #1095

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Top 5 breakfasts

Best breakfast recipes are next. Oatmeal dominates my list. Not surprisingly, in some form I would have oatmeal most days on board .

TOP 5 PLANT BASED BREAKFASTS

Granola (oven baked) (post #334)
This is so good I need to limit how often I make it, as with little self control we squaffle a batch within a few days. Apart from breakfast it is irresistible just snacking on it dry, the main reason it disappears so quickly:

Oatmeal bread (post # 454)
Warm homemade bread, fresh or toasted, is one of the most wonderful ways of starting a day (food wise that is ). Top it with marmalade or jam or peanut butter or honey. Not nearly as nutritious as the other breakfasts I have listed, but a firm favourite. This recipe was based on one given by Beth Leonard on their website:

Bircher muesli (posts #67 and 69)
The best routine summer breakfast. The oats do not need to be soaked overnight, as most recipes suggest. Just 10 minutes is enough if you are in a hurry. Today's Bircher muesli was with chopped apple and coconut, topped with banana, cranberries, hazelnuts and cinnamon:

Carrot (or apple) 'cake' baked oatmeal (post #339)
This is more like a yummy dessert than breakfast, so it tends to be made when a special brunch is in order. It slices up well when cold and leftovers are good to munch on:

Porridge (post #338)
Thermos cooking has made a big difference in winter, as both of us on board love porridge. With this method there is no stirring, little gas is used and the clean up is easy. Plain is probably my favourite with fresh and dried fruit and nuts, but the peanut version is good for a change:

Plain:

Peanut butter version:

Super smoothie (post #258)
I am throwing an extra one in, as this was just about a daily start to the day back home and in a heartbeat it would be on board as well if I could source blueberries. Banana can of course be combined with other soft fruit such as kiwi, apricot, mango or berries etc. I pop the almond milk in the freezer compartment beforehand to get it icy cold:

SWL