Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 13:37   #991

Vegans Make Good Lovers aka Good Boat Recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
The ice cream tasted mango flavoured.

I have never tried it, but I think full fat coconut milk cooked with a little cornflour/arrowroot to give it a custard like consistency (custard is the best base for the creamiest real icecream) would make fantastic icecream.

SWL

PS At home I packed mango flesh in plastic bags and just cut off frozen slices in summer. The very simplest frozen treat .

It's sounding better now. Mango is one of my favorite flavors. I love frozen chunks of mango too. No processing required.

I forget about coconut. I have had coconut milk ice cream & loved it. It is better than reg ice cream.

Jedi-I tried the milking process

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1439325454.083807.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	107141
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 19:28   #992
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Just watched a show on TV last night - 1 cup almonds, 4 cups water in a blender. Strain result through a cloth and bingo!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 20:28   #993

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Just watched a show on TV last night - 1 cup almonds, 4 cups water in a blender. Strain result through a cloth and bingo!
So easy. I will have to try that tomorrow although that is a ton almonds-which are a ton of calories. 1 cup of almond milk could be used up quickly.... but I will suffer for this thread.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 06:53   #994

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Huevos Rancheros sauce

NornaBiron introduced me to Huevos Rancheros last year and Weyalan posted a recipe for this back in post #723.

The sauce is extremely versatile. It is simply a combination of sauteed onions, garlic, red pepper, chilli and tomatoes. I usually make a double mix (it is one of those wonderful recipes that improve on standing) and while piping hot seal half in a glass jar.

Apart from baking it with eggs, I have tossed it through pasta with shaved parmesan, used it on pizza instead of a tomato base, and last night had it as a cold dip with crusty hot bread for nibbles.

One of the fantastic things with it is that all the ingredients easily keep for a couple of weeks unrefrigerated even in hot weather, making it ideal when you you have been away from civilisation for a while and are starting to run out of fresh produce. Recipes like this are very useful then.

My version is based on NornaB's recipe (not sure now how much I have deviated ) and is not all that dissimilar to Weyalan's:

HUEVOS RANCHEROS SAUCE

2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 red and 1 yellow pepper, deseeded, quartered and thinly sliced
1 red chilli (or harissa to taste)
1 heaped tsp dried oregano
1 flat tsp cumin
3 bay leaves
1 tsp caster sugar
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

- Heat the oil in a fry pan, add chopped onions, garlic, chilli and peppers and fry over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Stir in the oregano, cumin, bay leaves, sugar and chopped tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

By the way, the last lot of harissa I made was brilliant (see post #976). I give it a 5 star rating. I am frequently topping it up with a little extra virgin olive oil and this oil turns red and becomes infused with all the flavours. The oil is simply beautiful then in dressings or drizzled on toasted bread and topped with ripe tomatoes and fresh basil leaves.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 07:29   #995
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

GINGER SNAP COOKIES

2 cups of white flour
2 tsps baking powder
1 tbls ++ (depending on how throat burning you want this to be) ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon bicarb
1/2 cup white sugar
½ cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ cup silan (date syrup)
½ - 1 lemon zest and a few tsps of lemon juice (to taste. I like more rather than less)

1. Preheat oven to 375F or 190C.
2. Prepare cookie sheet by covering with baking paper.
3. Add everything to a mixer (use harp shaped cookie dough attachment rather than whisk or bread blade) and mix at low (until dry and liquid is mixed enough not to fly all over the kitchen) and then high speed for about 1 min. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides and bottom of bowl to ensure that all ingredients are well mixed. Mix at high speed for additional 1-2 minutes.
4. Use teaspoon and spatula (or just grab a chunk of dough and pull off smaller globs) to make cookies to size. Cookies will spead out while baking so leave 2" between the cookies on the baking sheet.
5. Bake for 12 - 17 minutes depending on your oven and how crisp you like your cookies.
6. Let cool. They will crisp.
7. Store, after they have completely cooled, in closed container or freezer. Good for at least 3 weeks unfrozen (although I really doubt they will last more than 60 minutes in any normal ginger- cookie-lover's house).
8. If you like to keep dough around the house, double or triple the recipe and simply freeze the raw dough. Best to double bag it or put into hermetically sealed freezer box.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 08:38   #996

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
GINGER SNAP COOKIES

2 cups of white flour
2 tsps baking powder
1 tbls ++ (depending on how throat burning you want this to be) ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon bicarb
1/2 cup white sugar
½ cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ cup silan (date syrup)
½ - 1 lemon zest and a few tsps of lemon juice (to taste. I like more rather than less)

1. Preheat oven to 375F or 190C.
2. Prepare cookie sheet by covering with baking paper.
3. Add everything to a mixer (use harp shaped cookie dough attachment rather than whisk or bread blade) and mix at low (until dry and liquid is mixed enough not to fly all over the kitchen) and then high speed for about 1 min. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides and bottom of bowl to ensure that all ingredients are well mixed. Mix at high speed for additional 1-2 minutes.
4. Use teaspoon and spatula (or just grab a chunk of dough and pull off smaller globs) to make cookies to size. Cookies will spead out while baking so leave 2" between the cookies on the baking sheet.
5. Bake for 12 - 17 minutes depending on your oven and how crisp you like your cookies.
6. Let cool. They will crisp.
7. Store, after they have completely cooled, in closed container or freezer. Good for at least 3 weeks unfrozen (although I really doubt they will last more than 60 minutes in any normal ginger- cookie-lover's house).
8. If you like to keep dough around the house, double or triple the recipe and simply freeze the raw dough. Best to double bag it or put into hermetically sealed freezer box.
Ginger lover here, so the more the better .

Weav, have you had any experience regarding the effectiveness of ginger when it comes to sea sickness? Some people swear by it.

I made a batch of ginger extract recently: simply 400g of peeled and grated fresh ginger added to a couple of cups of gin, left to soak for a couple of weeks then filtered. The blurb with the recipe had this recommendation for sea sickness:

"The general recommended dosage for adults is up to one teaspoon three times a day, with children receiving half of that suggested dose. However, it powerful enough that for children about three drops at a time is adequate, scattered throughout the day as needed. Start with a lower dose and see how that does first."

The extract packs such a powerful punch that I think you would have no hope dosing children with it, but your sweet ginger cookies might just do the trick .

SWL

Old 23-08-2015, 08:58   #997
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Ginger lover here, so the more the better .

Weav, have you had any experience regarding the effectiveness of ginger when it comes to sea sickness? Some people swear by it.

I made a batch of ginger extract recently: simply 400g of peeled and grated fresh ginger added to a couple of cups of gin, left to soak for a couple of weeks then filtered. The blurb with the recipe had this recommendation for sea sickness:

"The general recommended dosage for adults is up to one teaspoon three times a day, with children receiving half of that suggested dose. However, it powerful enough that for children about three drops at a time is adequate, scattered throughout the day as needed. Start with a lower dose and see how that does first."

The extract packs such a powerful punch that I think you would have no hope dosing children with it, but your sweet ginger cookies might just do the trick .

SWL
I carry Japanese pickled ginger and a piece of fresh root. If I feel a touch nauseous, a small piece of either seems to calm the troubled waters.
Old 23-08-2015, 19:32   #998

Re: Huevos Rancheros sauce

This is a basic recipe for a sauce that works well for everything in need of a tomato based sauce like pizza, pasta, chilli, etc. and can be tweaked to suit to fit any need.

Thanks
B
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 18:06   #999
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I carry Japanese pickled ginger and a piece of fresh root. If I feel a touch nauseous, a small piece of either seems to calm the troubled waters.
I keep a couple of packets of Gingernut biscuits in store for any time someone on baord gets a bit nauseous.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 18:24   #1000

Re: food grade diatomaceous earth

anyone out there use food grade diatomaceous earth?

A lady friend concert flutist and world traveler that visits all the most out of the way places and likes to mingle with the poor indigenous peoples informed me she takes it daily to rid herself of all intestinal parasites. She said she started doing this a couple of years ago on a regular basis and has felt so much better since.

I was curious if anyone else does this?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 00:31   #1001
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I keep a couple of packets of Gingernut biscuits in store for any time someone on baord gets a bit nauseous.
Ginger biscuits are quite a favourite of mine. Im afraid that when I carry them, They are consumed with coffee and there would not be any left for rough weather.
Old 25-08-2015, 00:41   #1002

Boat: Still building

The (IMHO) *best* Ginger Nut biscuit in the whole wide world (like, I'd know...) is the Arnott's Ginger Nut, made in Australia....BUT....only the ones made in the Sydney factory, as they are thicker and crisper/harder than any of the so-called Ginger Nuts made in other Arnotts factories around the place.

Found out why years ago when I complained about not being able to get them while in NZ, even though the packaging was the same....

Apparent;ly, when Arnott's took over any local bakery they simply adopted their Ginger Crisp/Ginger Nut recipe and used the one type of packaging.

I was particularly P*****d Off when in NZ several years ago and having taken a few packets over in my luggage, to dunk in my cups of tea whilst boating down the Waikato, and some thieving scullers stole them from my foodbox in the communal kitchen at Lake Karapiro.

They were haivng sculling trials while we were gearing up to float down the Waikato in the annual Seagull Marathon.

Bloody K1W1 kids.....gnash, gnash, grrrrrrrr....

Won't ever make that mistake again. Lock and key next time, in the boot of the car!!

The problem is, the *fake* Ginger Nuts (really should be Ginger Snaps) are too thin and dissolve in your tea, making a b*****y mess in the bottom of the cup, whereas the harder, Sydney ones can be dunked for some time before they begin to soften, and *must* be dunked if you don't want to break a tooth..!!
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2015, 01:03   #1003
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Old 25-08-2015, 01:19   #1004

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I surrender

I've given up resisting and I am off to make a batch now sans date syrup. I will have to dig and see if I have any golden syrup left.

A weak willed SWL

Old 25-08-2015, 03:34   #1005

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gingernut snaps

Weav's recipe was roughly followed, but I used a tablespoon of golden syrup instead of the date syrup. As a ginger lover, I used two flat tablespoons instead of one.

GINGERNUT SNAPS (not hard enough to be called gingernuts)

½ cup white sugar
½ cup dark brown sugar
1 tbl golden syrup
¼ cup low acidity extra virgin olive oil
1 egg
juice ½ lemon
zest 1 lemon
2 cups self raising flour
2 flat tablespoons ground ginger
1 scant teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

With no mixer on board, the technique was modified and worked perfectly well:

- Whisk sugar, syrup, oil, egg, zest and juice until well combined
- Mix in sifted flour, ginger and soda and knead lightly to form a smooth dough
- Roll walnut sized pieces of dough into balls and flatten slightly
- Dip one side into extra white sugar

My oven burns extra hot or not at all, so I baked these for 10 minutes, then left them to cool in the oven, producing a nicely crisp result.

This is an excellent boat recipe. With the exception of the lemon (and lemon extract could be substituted) all the ingredients keep well long term unrefrigerated. This could easily be made even months after provisioning.

Thanks Weav .

I didn't leave enough room for them to spread properly, as I wanted to fit the batch on one tray. We must have gremlins on board. A few biscuits somehow went missing by the time the photo was taken .