Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 30-07-2015, 09:01   #961

re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
These would be wonderful made with aubergine too, yum!

I definitely will try aubergine. I love them but seldom make them at home!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 09:19   #962

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post

Low calorie high nutrient retention way of eating almost fried<smile> veggies.

[FONT=Arial] Not sure if this is legal but I gotta say this anyway; Chicken done this way with the skin on is outa this world. /FONT]
] I hate myself every time I eat meat and see those eyes staring up at me but I can't help myself some times. I envy all those who can forgo meat all of the time. Maybe when I grow up I will be strong enough to do so.

You are not the only one who goes outside of the veggie-vegan world. I follow these recipes just help me eat more meatless meals. Also, eating local foods from sources I know just makes me feel better which is usually veggies at the farmers markets-though many have meat raised responsibly and without chemicals.

I eat meat. Fried chicken, fish and a good steak (oh, and cheese ❤️) are just too yummy to ignore forever for me. I just enjoy the flavors of veggies too. I think you can add so many flavors that are delicious and as exciting as meat (like Thai or Indian).
Old 30-07-2015, 12:40   #963
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
You are not the only one who goes outside of the veggie-vegan world. I follow these recipes just help me eat more meatless meals. Also, eating local foods from sources I know just makes me feel better which is usually veggies at the farmers markets-though many have meat raised responsibly and without chemicals.

I eat meat. Fried chicken, fish and a good steak (oh, and cheese ❤️) are just too yummy to ignore forever for me. I just enjoy the flavors of veggies too. I think you can add so many flavors that are delicious and as exciting as meat (like Thai or Indian).
We're the same. Before we started cruising every evening meal was based around meat. Now, we maybe eat meat once a fortnight. I couldn't be completely vegan, or even vegetarian, but eating a mostly plant based diet has certainly made us feel healthier and has opened our eyes to other ways of cooking and eating. I can't imagine eating meat every day now, I'd feel so hung over all the time!
Old 31-07-2015, 11:46   #964

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Peach and apricot jam

Luscious stone fruit is at its peak . I am getting my fill of apricots, peaches, nectarines and cherries and a few batches of jam have been squirrelled away for the coming year.

Today I combined peach with apricot:

PEACH AND APRICOT JAM

750g apricots, stoned and quartered (weigh after cutting)
750g peaches, stoned and roughly chopped (weigh after cutting)
1 kg sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice (2 lemons)
Rind 2 lemons cut in a long swirl to allow for easy removal
20 apricot/peach kernels

Just follow the same method as for the apricot jam in post #811. Little boiling is required, so it is no big deal making this when it's hot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
- Crack the apricot stones (I use the workshop vice) & soak the kernels for a minute in boiling water, then squeeze off the skins.
- Combine all ingredients and leave a min of 4 hours or in cooler weather overnight, stirring occasionally. The sugar will dissolve in the apricot juice and heaps of liquid will form.
- Oil base and sides of a 3 litre cooking pot (helps to stop burning).
- Bring the mix to the boil. It will foam and rise. Turn off just before it boils over and cover.
- Let sit for an hour to allow the apricots to cook.
- Skim all the foam off the surface. It will have subsided and thickened, allowing easy removal.
- Bring to boil again and boil 12-15 min stirring frequently. There will be little to no foam and little tendency to boil over. Both don't usually reoccur following standing and then skimming.
- Meanwhile heat some glass jars in an oven to about 100° for about 10 minutes.
- Test a few drops of jam on a cold saucer at the 12 minute mark. A slight skin will form and it will run only a little when the saucer is tipped. I test every minute from then. Overcooking causes a dark overly thick jam.
- Remove rind and discard.
- Remove the jars from the oven and make sure they are no hotter than the jam (I use a laser thermometer), otherwise they will shatter when the jam is poured.
- Immediately ladle in glass jars and seal.
- Invert for 10 minutes, then cool the right side up.
No water is used in this recipe. After sitting a few hours, the sugar has dissolved in the juices released by the fruit, creating no need for extra liquid. This is how it looks just before being boiled the first time:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	106443  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 12:25   #965
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Peach and apricot jam

Quote:
Luscious stone fruit is at its peak . I am getting my fill of apricots, peaches, nectarines and cherries and a few batches of jam have been squirrelled away for the coming year.

Today I combined peach with apricot:

PEACH AND APRICOT JAM

750g apricots, stoned and quartered (weigh after cutting)
750g peaches, stoned and roughly chopped (weigh after cutting)
1 kg sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice (2 lemons)
Rind 2 lemons cut in a long swirl to allow for easy removal
20 apricot kernels

Just follow the same method as for the apricot jam in post #811. Little boiling is required, so it is no big deal making this when it's hot.

No water is used in this recipe. After sitting a few hours, the sugar has dissolved in the juices released by the fruit, creating no need for extra liquid. This is how it looks just before being boiled the first time:
Lovely.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:36   #966

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Lovely.
Weav, if you enjoy jam making, give this techinque a go (50% more fruit than sugar and no water and a bit of lemon for pectin and to cut the sweetness). It is super easy, just about any fruit or berries can be used, and it makes the very best jam I have ever tasted.

I follow my mum's recipe with the proportion of ingredients and giving it time for the sugar to dissolve first, but the technique of bring the fruit to the boil then letting it sit for an hour before bringing to the boil again for less than 15 minutes is a boat invention arising from need to minimise the use of gas.

They say necessity is the mother of invention and this is the case here. The method works so well I would use it even with unlimited power. In the hour the heat is turned off the fruit cooks slowly to perfection on its own, maintaining a gloriously bright colour. As long as it is then not over boiled in the next stage, this colour and fresh taste are perfectly preserved.

SWL

Old 01-08-2015, 20:14   #967

Quote:
Luscious stone fruit is at its peak . This is how it looks just before being boiled the first time:

I used to make freezer jam-when I had a big freezer but never this way so I am excited to try it. The colors are lovely! Do you sterilize the jars or just use it quick enough to not need it? Do you refrigerate it?
Old 01-08-2015, 21:10   #968

Quote:

Oh yes me too.
This thread is a cornucopia of tips, recipes, presented with exceptional wisdom the result of many years of pigging out on our own cooking. Thank you all for your outstanding contributions......Yes, you also Sassy Lassie
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 22:01   #969

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I used to make freezer jam-when I had a big freezer but never this way so I am excited to try it. The colors are lovely! Do you sterilize the jars or just use it quick enough to not need it? Do you refrigerate it?
I pop the glass jars in the oven for about 10 minutes. It is important they are not too hot though. When the jam is ladled in, glass cracks even more easily if it has been overheated than if it is cold (don't ask how I know ). If you don't have a laser thermometer just let the jars cool down 5 minutes before pouring in the jam.

I have added the method above so you don't have to hunt back to post #811 for it .

Once opened, I refrigerate it in very hot weather. Otherwise I don't bother. You can easily see if there is a problem with jam - the surface starts to look like a petri dish. Unopened, jam lasts for years. The last of mum's jars was 8 years old when I used it. Was a sad moment tasting something she had made for the final time, so I held this off .

SWL

Old 02-08-2015, 16:54   #970

SWL~

Thanks for the directions and the tips! I can imagine how you felt using the last jar. My mom canned all veggies and even meat for soup and I sure miss that fresh flavor. I haven't canned anything but tomatoes. Great memories though ❤️
Old 03-08-2015, 04:53   #971

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ruby coleslaw

This was inspired by Sailor G's recipe for wild rice with raddichio. The apricots in the dressing married well with the slight bitterness of the raddichio so I thought I would try cranberries to do the same for red cabbage and it worked absolutely beautifully. I added kidney beans to boost the protein content and the contrasting texture was perfect.

This is dead easy to make, tastes and looks delicious and can be preprepared. It is a recipe worthy of being added to my favourites .

RUBY COLESLAW

½ small red cabbage
¼ cup cranberries
400g tin kidney beans, drained (optional)

Dressing:
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1 lemon (¼ cup)
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
¼ cup cranberries, extra
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Topping: (all optional)
1 apple or peach, cut in wedges (soak cut apple in water with lemon juice added first to stop it browning)
1 red onion cut in wedges
Fresh basil or parsley

- Puree dressing with a stick mixer
- Toss with cabbage, cranberries and kidney beans
- Refrigerate covered several hours to marinade
- Served topped with wedges of fruit and red onion and scatter on a few basil or parsley leaves

Old 03-08-2015, 14:12   #972

Vegans Make Good Lovers aka Good Boat Recipes

The Ruby Coleslaw is absolutely beautiful! I love using beans and never have enough recipes for them. The cranberries look like they are dried from the photo. The sweetness of the cranberries would mix wonderfully with the cabbage and beans. The dressing would be good on lots of salads too! Yum.

This will be a great recipe as all the ingredients last long too when all the other fresh fruits & veggies are gone. Will be trying this as soon as I can get cranberries!
Old 04-08-2015, 15:25   #973

Man can't live on veggies alone...and neither can this girl. I need something CHOCOLATE! So, I found this recipe that may do the trick and all the ingredients seem common enough to have on hand. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1438726810.047097.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  41.6 KB

Vegan Chocolate Cake

This is a really simple, yet very tasty cake. You can use rice flour or something other than wheat. You can also add chocolate chips and, or nuts.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup Granulated Sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1 cup water
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x5 inch loaf pan.

Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together until smooth.

Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Old 04-08-2015, 15:38   #974

Quote:
Man can't live on veggies alone...and neither can this girl. I need something CHOCOLATE! So, I found this recipe that may do the trick and all the ingredients seem common enough to have on hand. Attachment 106721

Vegan Chocolate Cake

This is a really simple, yet very tasty cake. You can use rice flour or something other than wheat. You can also add chocolate chips and, or nuts.

1 cup Granulated Sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x5 inch loaf pan.

Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together until smooth.

Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Looks great but you listed a couple of ingredients twice, was this for a reason?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 21:45   #975

Oops! I didn't mean to duplicate ingredients. I copy from my recipe app (still haven't upgraded it) to a file and then to here. I must have copied some twice. This should be correct-I hope

Vegan Chocolate Cake

1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water